“Welcome to 1970!” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 57 Restaurants in Napanee
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Royal Coachman is one of Napanee's oldest Restaurants. Table service with linen. Serves great chicken and steak entree's. Also serves a seafood buffet four times a month.
Kingston, Canada
“Welcome to 1970!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Who ever wrote the review that said that they had't been there for 29 years set the appropriate context. I'd say that they were still 13 years off! A time warp for sure!! I can't remember when the last time was that I had a steak with a can of mushroom soup poured over it, ( I think perhaps in a bush camp in the arctic during the 60's!!) The establishment is gracious but extremely dated in style and offerings. The most surpising thing is, that to the best of my knowledge, it hasn't been used as a movie set because it would be historically correct in every detail, except price of course. It is a tad pricey, but I suppose that is the price of the entertainment value and a true journey back in time.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Kingston, Canada
“Lovely dinner in cozy atmoshere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I went there in the summer with a gift certicicate that had been a Christmas present from my brother.We had never been before but my brotherand his wife had told me it.s a great p[lace. We were not disappointed. Friendly, quick service and delicious food. My husband had the ribs and I the roast beef. Both big portions and tasty! Before the meal they served a basket of warm croissants which were delicious. The dessert menu looked tempting but we were just too full. I loved the restaurant itself, very cozy and quaint with a pretty decor.We will certainly be back again! Sally& Larry Pichette

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Belleville, Canada
“Trip down memory lane”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We went to this establishment 29 years ago on our first date. This anniversary we went back, reservation for 530pm we arrived at 515 our table was ready. Candle lit, water poured. Our hostess immediately asked us our beverage request and returned promptly. My wife ordered the lobster apetizer and I the escargots, both of us ordered the prime roast beef.
Shortly afterwards the hostess brought us hot croisants and served us same.
Then the meal arrived...prime roast beef with gravy...mashed potatoes and vegetable medley...........Food was absoultely fanstatic........whats more to say about that.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
“It was lonely in there ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

My friend and I went to the Royal Coachman for a 7:30 pm reservation on Thursday night. We were the only two people in the entire restaurant right up to when we left around 9:00. That was kind of off-putting - made me think there was something wrong? We shared the smoked salmon appetizer, which was OK, but they had no capers so it was just red onions. I really missed the capers. He had lamb chops and pronounced them a little tough. I had the 8 oz sirloin, and only managed to eat about 3 ounces- it was far too much. Too many mushrooms (overwhelmed the steak). The baby carrots were nice, but again too many of them. I left more than half. The cauliflower was OK. Wine was good - she opened a bottle for us to have half a litre. Would I return? Well, probably not. But I hear good things about their buffet on weekends, so I might give it one more chance.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Napanee, Canada
“Wonderful Wedding Reception in Events Tent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Randy, Janet and their Staff went out of their way to provide fantastic personal service, delicious food and a wonderful atmosphere! Everything was beautifully presented and we could not have found a better place to hold our reception. All of our guests raved about the delicious food. We choose a buffet featuring turkey with all the fixings, beef, salmon, potatoes, 2 vegetables, 2 salads, croissant buns and desserts to die for, followed by pizza and wings. The chair covers, table linens and mini-lights in the tent created a truly beautiful atmosphere. Janet and Randy went out of their way to treat us like family. Janet decorated the tent as though she was decorating if for her own daughter's wedding. They strive for perfection and achieved it!

• Visited June 2012