“Loved it, loved it, loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

Benmiller Inn & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   R.R.#4, Goderich, Ontario N7A 3Y1, Canada   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Goderich
London, Ontario
“Loved it, loved it, loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2007

I don't know how anyone not simply LOVE this Inn.

It was a surprise escape that I had planned for my wife and I and I am so pleased that we chose Benmiller. Some friends of our has recommended it, and I must say everything from my first telephone call with Carrie who made our reservation (she also checked us in) to Myron in the dining room where we enjoyed an amazing dinner, the service was friendly, attentive, and just what we were looking for. It is a beautiful Country Inn so don't go looking for a downtown, big city hotel because you won't find it here. You will find a tranquil setting with beautiful gardens, historic buildings and many antiques throughout the rooms. And the bed! The beds were the best we have ever slept on.

I am confused with some of the reviews that I have seen posted here on TripAdvisor. For us this place was wonderful - we'll be back for sure!

Rob & Lisa

• Liked — The beds, and overall comfortable feel of the guestroom
  • Disliked — Loved everything!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
london ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2007

I wanted to take my wife somewhere special for our aniversary and Benmiller Inn was supposed to be top drawer. My wife wanted a jacuzzi and that was only available in their most expensive and most luxurious suite. I'm sad to report that if that is their best suite I shudder to think what the others are like. The bed was okay and the view was nice but the furniture was old and battered. (Not antiques, just cheap stuff that should have been replaced a decade ago) The carpets were stained, the bathroom was cramped and ugly and the hallways needed a paintjob and new carpets.
Our restaurant experience was mixed. The wait staff were very nice but our pan seared scallops and steak medallions were just heated and with no trace of the seared effect you would expect. The chef simply wasn't using a hot enough pan which ruined the effect. Breaffast was very nice.
All together we spent over $500 for room and dinner. I have to say I won't return or recommend this place to anyone unless they sink some money into badly needed improvements.

• Stayed April 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

In the fall of 2006 my husband and I were to spend a rare weekend away from home and after considering several of Ontario's Finest Inns, chose the Benmiller Inn as our destination for the weekend. The reservation was made several weeks in advance of our arrival.

We chose a "Benmiller Country Room", described on the website as a "larger guest room than the classic room.....with a sitting area". We were looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend in a comfy, spacious room. Upon our arrival we checked in and were given the key to Room 7 in the main building. We made our way upstairs and found ourselves in a very small room, in fact I don't know how you could have smaller rooms in the Inn! There was one chair between the bed and the door but hardly what one would call a "sitting area" and certainly not suited for two people. Nothing about the room was as we expected, the bathroom was very small, the bathtub tiny. The room smelled of stale cooking odors, likely due to the close proximity of the kitchen. At first glance the exterior wall of the room looked to be painted stone, but on closer inspection appears to be painted spray foam insulation.

I called the front desk and expressed our disappointment, and we were immediately offered an upgrade to a larger room in another building. Our room rate would go from $205. per night to $269. per night but we were eager to salvage our getaway and accepted the upgrade to a Spa Room in the Rivermill Building. We drove over to the Rivermill Building. The second story windows facing the parking area were dirty and covered with cobwebs, making the building look derelict. We entered and were hit with an unpleasant smell reminiscent of a mixture of chlorine and stale cigarette smoke. Our room, although most certainly larger, had an unpleasant odor and we immediately opened the windows to air it out. There was a nice large tub in the room but we quickly discovered that the facilities here were also wanting. The toilet would not flush (my husband fixed it 3 times over the course of our brief stay), the stopper in the sink in the bathroom was broken and the sink in the main room had no stopper at all and only one working tap, making it difficult for my husband to shave! At that point we decided to cut our losses and cancel the second night of our stay and find alternate accommodations for the Saturday night. The front desk accepted the change without question, making me wonder if this is a common event. Upon our departure Saturday morning at 9:00 a.m. there were beer bottles and garbage on the table in the front entrance of the Rivermill building. We did not see a single staff person from the time we checked in until we checked out - and apparently there was no one tending the Mill building.

Breakfast on Saturday morning was also a disappointment, the serving dishes were nearly all empty when we arrived as were the beverage containers and a long line awaited the single toaster provided for the entire dining room.

A rare escape for us was spoiled and it will be some time before the opportunity presents itself again so I decided to write to the Benmiller Inn (with a copy to Ontario Finest Inns) expressing my disappointment. We were offered a free one-night stay in a room to be hand-picked by the Innkeeper. We declined the offer as we had no desire to return and felt that one should not need a hand-picked room to have a good experience. I suggested that the website misrepresented the Inn and it's rooms and that in our estimation the Benmiller Inn does not fit the description of a "Fine Inn". I should note that the description of the "Benmiller Country Rooms" no longer mentions a sitting area.

• Liked — Comfortable bed with nice linens
  • Disliked — Too many to list! Misrepresented facilities were overpriced for value received.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2007

We recently stayed at Benmiller Inn and Spa and had a lovely Spa Room overlooking the Maitland River. Our room had a fireplace and lovely tub in the room. Meals were delicious with a focus on regional cuisine. Some of the entre's were a bit heavy, but their are fish and chicken options. The wine list is wonderful with some really interesting selections that are private import.
We spent some time hiking and just relaxing-much needed. The highlight of the Inn are the antiques from the original inn-you have to read the in room book about the mill which really is interesting....service was friendly and professional, front desk and dinning room people are very accomodating.
If you are looking for a romantic weekend away this is it......
Also the beds are delicious, you just fall into the cotton sheets and there are fantastic pillows.

• Liked — The Bedding
  • Disliked — The lighting
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2006

This it the ideal place to just "get away" and escape the city life for a weekend. It is quiet and remote... a great place to get caught up on reading or to simply get in some day hikes along the river. I would also highly recommend picking up tickets for the Blythe theatre (about 20 min drive) if you like live theatre. My thoughts on the stay were pretty similar to others on the site. The rooms are old and depending on the building you are in have a bit of a "musty" feel to them. Television veiwing is pretty much non-existant (which is not a big deal for us, but something you may want to be aware of) and the meals, although really good are a little costly.
We too found the pool to be pretty cold at times and almost non-usable... The staff were friendnly and really helpful and we really did have a nice relaxing weekend away. Overall though, I didn't leave with the sense of "boy I really need to come back here" and it did feel just a little overpriced. Although I was not there in the fall, I would think that this would be a really beautiful time of the year to check it out as the fall colours would be amazing!

• Liked — Nice Quiet Location
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Tickets to Live Theatre at either Stratford, or Blyth are a MUST if you love theatre
  • Stayed March 2002, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Benmiller Inn for our fifth anniversary on July 27-28, 2006. We were disappointed, particularily because it was listed at Ontarios Finest Inns. Our room was small, overstuffed and frankly nothing special. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet but I have paid less at many inns and hotels in Europe and North America and had a far nicer room. The food we had at their restaurant was overpriced and underwhelming. There was nothing interesting on the menu and my pasta was over cooked, the fish wasn't terribly fresh and we skipped what probably would have been a disappointing desert because of the 12 DOLLAR price tag. The most fabulous restaurants in Toronto don't change that much for desert. The only real redeeming quality of the inn is its lovely river side setting. Over all our impression was that the inn exists solely to make money without caring about quality, service and comfort. You can do much better at other small inns in Ontario.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2006

WE LOVED BENMILLER-
We took a weekend away to Benmiller and were very impressed. The property is under new management and ownership and is being improved. The Inn recently won a 4 diamond CAA award and also was listed in Toronto Life as a Best Of in the out of town dining guide.
The dinning room is intimate and we very much enjoyed the creative culinary creations which were unique focused on regional fresh product. The wine list was lovely but could be expanded to match the diversity and range of the menu.
Our Spa Room was lovely with a jacuzzi and fireplace. The Spa is in the old mill with lovely think exposed limestone rock, overlooking the Maitland River. The Spa is great, but will be better as the Inn is focusing in improvments.
This is a serene quiet Inn where the events of the day include walking, fly fishing, dining and Spa. The gardens feel like you are in England and are beatiful.
Throughout the property the mill artifacts dating back 175 years have been transformed into fixtures and furniture, and works of art. The history from the mill makes for a very interesting history lesson.
If you are looking for a couples respite away from the crowds Benmiller is a wonderful get away where attention to detail and gracious service exists.

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Benmiller Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!