“Southern Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Natchez

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Homosassa, Florida
“Southern Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

We decided to make a trip down the Mississippi River. I was born in a town on the Mississippi in Minnesota and we were going in search of retirement areas and Natchez sounded like an interesting area. Our friends said "you are going to Mississippi in the summer???"
What an enjoyable stay we had at Monmouth Plantation! If you love antiques and history you have to love this. The gardens are beautiful, our room, the elegant bar, the beautiful 1818 dining room, all were a prime Southern Experience. Jacklyn was a prime example of southern hospitality!
The people in the south are so warm and friendly, they tend to melt us northerners!
My husband and I have been reading Greg Iles and had to check out some of his references to Natchez. We loved the "Under the Hill" area and had a great lunch at the Magnolia Grill. We did not go in the "Saloon" but took pictures.
We also had a lovely dinner at the King's Tavern-said to be haunted but we, alas, did not get to see the ghost!

Barrie, Ontario
“Charming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

Just returned from a weekend in Natchez, Mississippi. Found it to be a friendly little town full of great antiques, coffee shops, and little diners.
Would love to visit again.

Arkansas
“Natchez Beauty and History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

My husband and I recently took a trip to Natchez, MS. I loved it! I enjoyed the Historical home tours; they were gorgeous. The best home to tour is the Standford house; it is elegant and beautiful. We stayed at the Monmouth Plantation which was also real treat. I look forward to another stay very soon!!!

Camden, AR
“Old southern charm on a budget”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2004

We are drawn to Natchez every two or three years just to see the azaleas in early spring. We always take the 3-house tour one day. It doesn't matter, they're all lovely. Then we drive around to view the outside of several of the others. Melrose, the Nat'l Park, is a good value for seniors. I love to eat at least one meal at The Carriage House Restaurant and linger among the azaleas, roses and liveoaks. Truly magnificent! And the food is wonderful too!

Houston, TX
“Natchez Visitors Center”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2003

First of all, let me say that Natchez is the perfect quaint small town with beautiful views of the Mississippi. I went in June and even though it was hot, the breeze from the River made it bearable, I walked up and down every street in downtown! Not only is this town picturesque, with its rich history and antebellum homes, but everyone I encountered nice and helpful. I went to the Visitors Center and spent hours talking to the staff, getting recommendations on places to tour, and getting a map of where to go. The Center also has a gift shop with a variety of books on Natchez History, Slavery and Plantations, if you are a history buff, you should stop here and look. You can also catch the Trolley there or you can go on a tour of the City in a bus. I didnt get a chance to do that but on the next visit, I will definitely take the tour. Bottom line: if you are looking for a quiet town to relax, take a tour of old plantation homes, antique, and just plain relax, Natchez is the place for you!

Been to Natchez? Share your experiences!