“Lots of things wrong.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 19 hotels in Natchez
Sandpoint ID
“Lots of things wrong.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

We were in the area to travel the Natchez Trace. Booked the Hampton because it seemed well rated. There were a few negative reviews but there always are. All the negative things previous reviews reported happened to us. Check in went smoothly. When we entered the room we were aware of a heavy perfume scent. We were hungry so dropped off our luggage and went out to eat. Upon returning we found out what the perfume odor was covering up--a urine smell. The smell wasn't overwhelming and seemed to come and go. We were tired so just went to bed. We were awaked at 5:30 AM by the tv coming on by itself. Others have reported this in previous reviews. By this time the urine smell was stronger. Went to take a shower and noticed mildew around the tub. Turned on the shower and jumped in only to find ice cold water. In turning the water control handle I discovered that hot was at the beginning rather than the end. A new one on me. We went to breakfast which was ok. The usual fare. They had three people working the buffet which is the most I've ever seen. They were in the way of people trying to get food. I watched one server occupy an entire counter filling a plastic fork holder. Took her over five minutes. One waste basket was full to overflowing and the other partially empty. One of the servers changed the bag in the half full basket and left the other full. Returned to our room to finish packing. In opening the closet door (a full mirrored panel) discovered the top bracet holding the door in place was broken and almost ready to fail. When we left the hotel I gave a list of these things to the front desk. She informed me that she had never heard of any of these items before. I told her about trip advisor. Hope you get one the "good rooms" if you stay here.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

253 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Jackson, Mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

First of all ithink it starts with the lead the General Manger stayed in her office the majoriy of the time i know because i never saw her that much and when i did see her it was because i had a complaint about the housekeeprs hadn't cleaned my room speaking with Ms. Williams seemed more like i was talking to an associate instead of a General Manager while walking away i heard her talking to an employee in a rude way about money being missing first you should'nt be discussing that at the front desk and you should know how to address an employee the whole staff was rude really and you need another GM one who mingles and give respect and i will not stay again especially if money is being stolen

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

I hadn't been to Natchez in over ten years, so when I returned in February, 2011, and had a reservation at the Hampton Inn I didn't know what to expect.. (They weren't there 11 years ago.) Upon my arrival, I was told I had a room facing the MS River. It was a gorgeous view.
It was Valentine's Day, and the staff had set up the meeting room with food, a bottle of Jim Beam, Seagrams 7, and Skyy vodka and some mixers. They also had strawberries and a chocolate fountain. The room was decorated with valentines and red crepe paper. I asked if they did something like this every night, and they said "no...we just know that there are some people staying here who can't be with their loved ones, so we wanted to make it special."
This is a great hotel with a great staff!!! I WILL be back!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Texas City, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

I have stayed at a lot of Hampton Inns, and I thought this was a notch above the rest. The room and the bathroom were very spacious. A hot buffet breakfast was provided. The location was directly across the street from the visitor's center, convenient if you are visiting for the first time. I also felt safe having my car in the Hampton parking lot, as opposed to parking in the downtown area. I would not say that it is walking distance, but a very short drive to historic downtown and restaurants. It was pricier than most Hamptons that I have stayed at, but less expensive than most of the historic inns and B&Bs that make up so much of the accomodations in Natchez. Note: In addition to the state and lodging taxes, there was an additional $2 (for one night) occupancy tax.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

This is the best Hampton I have stayed in. Its newly built, with big rooms [get a front facing high one for a view of the Mississippi and the bridge]. It couldn't be better located unless you want to stay right in the middle of downtown. All the staff I came across were very friendly and helpful . The breakfast area is unusually spacious for this type of property. Free wi-fi and paper. I can't really fault it [even the guest laundry was good], that. I've knocked half a star off for the showerhead being too low [like 95% of other US hotels] and the pool being closed despite it being 86F.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Little Rock, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

The first room that I was assigned had a smell and I immediately called down and was nicely reassigned to another room. The next room had no smell, but had several pubic hairs in the bathtub, fecal matter on the sides of the toilet bowl and the carpet was stained and dirty. I had made an advance reservation on the internet and then was charged again during my stay (I caught it after the fact on my credit card bill). The thermostat in the room was not functioning well and it would be very cool or very stuffy throughout the night. The hotel does have a great location - very convenient to the river and downtown, but it's a $60 room and that's not what they are charging for it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Oklahoma City, OK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

This hotel has a great location; easy to find and across the street from the visitor center. I would call this hotel just average to maybe a little below average for Hampton Inns. The breakfast was decent but the hotel didn't provide the usual free newspaper and the room had no cold water. People complain about no hot water but here you can get hot and hotter. Had to use bottled water to brush our teeth. I would recommend staying right across the river and the new Comfort Suites hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Natchez? Share your experiences!