“Bad value” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Natchez
Biloxi, Mississippi
“Bad value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

I arrived and asked about availability and was told there were plenty rooms available and the rate was $124. When I asked if this was the best rate available I was told it was even though there was nothing special going on in town to expect a full sell out. I stayed in Gonzles La recently and the Hampton there quickly lowered the rate to $99 when asked the same question. After they said that was the best available rate I went across the hwy to the Grand Soleil and was told rates were $112. When I asked if that was the best rate available they dropped rate down to $99 without hesitation. It turned out I had a great room as nice as any room I have had at Hampton with a great view of the Ms river. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was brought to me at a table in the dining area. Not sure why the Hampton so unwilling to drop the rate but I would think a room booked for two nights at $99 is way better than an empty room bringing in nothing. Anybody looking to stay in Natchez I would recommend the Grand Soleil!

Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

I am a frequent traveller and Diamond Hilton member- by far this was the poorest "managed" hotel I have ever stayed in. This was the second time I stayed at this hotel for business. The first was in Nov 2010, and the entire floor I was on had workers replacing the floor wall guard, and they were very noisy, yelling at each other, stapeling and hammering, starting early in the morning. I complained in a written letter to the management and they never had the courtsey to respond back to me.

The second stay was in March 2011. All the hotels were booked in Natchez so we had to stay here again. Let me count the ways of poor management. Upon checking in at 2:45, I was informed my room was not ready. She had all my info, and I asked if could at least "check in" and get the keys, but not go up to my room yet-and she said no. I came back an hour later and some inexperienced young male tried to check me in. He couldn't find my reservation. I gave him my Hilton Honors card and drivers licence-and he repretedly asked me how to spell my name. I told him, "Look at my ID." He still couldn't "find" my reservation. I explained that I tried to check in an hour ago and they knew my room was not ready yet- so what happened to the reservation? After much effort, he finally "found it". I also asked if they had me down as tax exempt-and he said yes. I asked for assurance, and he confirmed that I was tax exempt.

Then I was givena smoking room. I asked if there was anything else available, and told no. I was assured the smoking rooms were not smokey. I hauled all my luggage and equipment up to the 4th floor, to find a room with actually clouds of smoke still in it, smelling like a disgusting ashtray. I called down and talked to a lady who said she had a non-smoking room for me.

So I switched rooms. The next day, I received a bill under my door for checking out, that also included numerous state and local taxes. My reservation was for 7 days, so I called down and asked them what was going on. They said it needed to be "fixed in the system" and they would fix it to check me out 6 days later. I also had a long conversation with her about my tax exempt status. I asked her to look in my profile and confirm for me if I was tax exempt. She confirmed it. I said that when I get my final bill, there should be no taxes on it, correct? She confirmed that yes, I was tax exempt. I told her it was important that when we checked out early in the morning on the day of our departure, we expected our bills to be correct (eg, have no taxes on them) so we could depart without having to stand in line to get bills corrected....she assured me it would be correct.

While staying at the hotel, we noted numerous other problems- basics like soap were not replenished in my room for days, while perfectly good bars of unwrapped soap dissaperaed or were thrown away and not replenished. One day there was a grabage bag of towels thrown into the middle of the room and not put back on the shelves.

I also noted that my room was never vacummed. I noticed someone's toe nail clippings on the carpet, and little pieces of paper and crumbs on the floor that were never picked up. I asked th management if they vacummed every day and they said "yes of course!" I told them that on day 4, my room had not yet been vaccumed, and could they please clean up the gross garbage on my floor?

At breakfast, crowds of people would often have to wait 15-20 minutes to replenish the hot and cold breakfast items. Often thre was empty fresh fruit bowls that were never replenished. Mostly the hot breakfast items consisited of freezedried scrambled eggs that tasted like cardboard and were contaminated with a meat spoon from the sausgae bin. I asked one of the ladies if one particular food item contained a potential food allergen and she went to the freezer and pulled out an unmarked bag that had no ingredient list at all.

So, the morning we checked out, thre were taxes on my bill!!! I tried to talk to the lady at the counter about taking the taxes off, and she said "the manager is not here, so there is nothing I can do." I explained that I had taken SO much effort with the staff of this hotel to make sure taxes would not be on my bill. She had an attitude that said "I don't give #@!&! about you or your taxes." I asked if she would call her manager and she said no. I called the Hilton Honors number and complained- and they said there was nothing they could do, other than file a complaint with the hotel. I explained that If I left the hotel and had taxes on my bill, when I got back to my home office, I would have to spend MY time calling, faxing, on the phone,etc to get this resolved, and that when it was in my profile, I paid with a tax exempt credit card that had the tax exempt number on it, and had the ID and forms necessary to be eleigible for the tax exempt status-AND were assured NUMEROUS times upon check in and changing rooms that I wa, yes, in fact tax exempt- this should never had happend. This lady at the desk was beyond ruds and unprofessional, and made no attempt to help. She really charecterized the attitude and ineptness of the hotel staff-which I attribute to very poor management from the top down. It spoke volumes that on a busy morning with full occupancy, thre was no manager to be found on premises, and no attempt to contact her to resolve this situation. In fct, I don't recall ever seeing a manager on duty-only very young, inexperienced and inept front desk help.

Some may think of this story "no big deal." But to a frequent traveller who is loyal to a brand such as Hilton and Hampton, being treated so poorly is a shock. I will NEVER stay in this hotel again. If this is the last hotel available in Natchez, I will simply cancel my trip.

In sum: beware of poor management; front desk "help" who are inept; rude check out people; noisy hotel workers; dirty hotel rooms; very smokey smoking rooms; no follow-up or attempt to recify problems or appologize for poor service from management; poor breakfast.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Sandpoint ID
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

We were in the area to travel the Natchez Trace. Booked the Hampton because it seemed well rated. There were a few negative reviews but there always are. All the negative things previous reviews reported happened to us. Check in went smoothly. When we entered the room we were aware of a heavy perfume scent. We were hungry so dropped off our luggage and went out to eat. Upon returning we found out what the perfume odor was covering up--a urine smell. The smell wasn't overwhelming and seemed to come and go. We were tired so just went to bed. We were awaked at 5:30 AM by the tv coming on by itself. Others have reported this in previous reviews. By this time the urine smell was stronger. Went to take a shower and noticed mildew around the tub. Turned on the shower and jumped in only to find ice cold water. In turning the water control handle I discovered that hot was at the beginning rather than the end. A new one on me. We went to breakfast which was ok. The usual fare. They had three people working the buffet which is the most I've ever seen. They were in the way of people trying to get food. I watched one server occupy an entire counter filling a plastic fork holder. Took her over five minutes. One waste basket was full to overflowing and the other partially empty. One of the servers changed the bag in the half full basket and left the other full. Returned to our room to finish packing. In opening the closet door (a full mirrored panel) discovered the top bracet holding the door in place was broken and almost ready to fail. When we left the hotel I gave a list of these things to the front desk. She informed me that she had never heard of any of these items before. I told her about trip advisor. Hope you get one the "good rooms" if you stay here.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Jackson, Mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

First of all ithink it starts with the lead the General Manger stayed in her office the majoriy of the time i know because i never saw her that much and when i did see her it was because i had a complaint about the housekeeprs hadn't cleaned my room speaking with Ms. Williams seemed more like i was talking to an associate instead of a General Manager while walking away i heard her talking to an employee in a rude way about money being missing first you should'nt be discussing that at the front desk and you should know how to address an employee the whole staff was rude really and you need another GM one who mingles and give respect and i will not stay again especially if money is being stolen

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

I hadn't been to Natchez in over ten years, so when I returned in February, 2011, and had a reservation at the Hampton Inn I didn't know what to expect.. (They weren't there 11 years ago.) Upon my arrival, I was told I had a room facing the MS River. It was a gorgeous view.
It was Valentine's Day, and the staff had set up the meeting room with food, a bottle of Jim Beam, Seagrams 7, and Skyy vodka and some mixers. They also had strawberries and a chocolate fountain. The room was decorated with valentines and red crepe paper. I asked if they did something like this every night, and they said "no...we just know that there are some people staying here who can't be with their loved ones, so we wanted to make it special."
This is a great hotel with a great staff!!! I WILL be back!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Texas City, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

I have stayed at a lot of Hampton Inns, and I thought this was a notch above the rest. The room and the bathroom were very spacious. A hot buffet breakfast was provided. The location was directly across the street from the visitor's center, convenient if you are visiting for the first time. I also felt safe having my car in the Hampton parking lot, as opposed to parking in the downtown area. I would not say that it is walking distance, but a very short drive to historic downtown and restaurants. It was pricier than most Hamptons that I have stayed at, but less expensive than most of the historic inns and B&Bs that make up so much of the accomodations in Natchez. Note: In addition to the state and lodging taxes, there was an additional $2 (for one night) occupancy tax.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

This is the best Hampton I have stayed in. Its newly built, with big rooms [get a front facing high one for a view of the Mississippi and the bridge]. It couldn't be better located unless you want to stay right in the middle of downtown. All the staff I came across were very friendly and helpful . The breakfast area is unusually spacious for this type of property. Free wi-fi and paper. I can't really fault it [even the guest laundry was good], that. I've knocked half a star off for the showerhead being too low [like 95% of other US hotels] and the pool being closed despite it being 86F.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Natchez? Share your experiences!