“More than a hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Natchez
Jackson, MS
“More than a hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Wonderful experience, staff and owner. Stayed in cottage 32, could not ask for more
Comfort and hospitality! Will return and highly recommend Monmouth. If you do not
Walk the entire property, you have missed a treat. Take the splendid tour and look .
Closely at all the furnishings, paintings and other historical pieces. Then do it in reverse
And see what you missed the first time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Monmouth was a wonderful plantation house experience for a couple who'd barely set foot properly in the Deep South. The house and gardens were spectacular even in persistent rain and the main house was a beautiful mix of the quaint and the comfortable. Coming from Ireland, with castle and country house hotels around every second corner, we didn't expect to be so charmed by Monmouth, but it was romantic, opulent and peaceful and we loved it entirely.

We only had 1 night here en route to New Orleans from Jackson and were sad to not stay for 2 or 3. Something was lost in translation between Irish and US tour operators and the hotel and we were booked into an external cottage room instead of the main house as our records indicated, but no sooner had we queried this than we were moved into the stunning Room 23 in the main house by the friendly and genteel lady in reception, without hesitation or complaint.

We ate in the 1818 restaurant and chose the Taste of the South menu for $52 which was a great choice but far, far too much food, so much so we would have had to leave two thirds of each course untouched to even contemplate tacking our entree when it arrived. Service in the restaurant was top notch - flawless and friendly.

Both rooms we saw were lovely but the main house is definitely preferable to the cottage room we were first allocated. The main house is bigger and has double the personality, with antique furniture and inimitable atmosphere. The house tour is well worth doing.

We'd go back in a heartbeat. I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than a romantic getaway or a wedding though, it's a very couple-y sort of place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Nancy R, Owner at Monmouth Historic Inn Natchez, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for your kind words about Monmouth Historic Inn. We never stop working to give
every guest a wonderful experience. I am very proud of our staff. They enjoy meeting our guest
that visit us from all over the world.
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We have just returned from a 3 day weekend in Nachez. We went, primarily because we wanted to stay at Monmouth, which I had heard about for more than 30 years, but never had the opportunity to enjoy it.
We were greeted by old fashioned southern hospitality. Hal, a fixture at Monmouth for 20+ years made us immediately welcome, and then a very nice lady came up to speak with us, and it turned out that she was Nancy Ruether, the owner. Nancy and her husband have owned Monmouth for a little less than a year and she is the epitome of what you would hope for in an owner of a historic bread and breakfast. She was everywhere and knowledgeable about everything.
We ate at 1818, the restaurant on the premises. I recommend the 5 course "tasting menu" for $52. It is a full 5 course meal of Southern specialties. The restaurant was not crowded when we ate there on Friday night, but was packed on Saturday. We asked others about their experiences, and they were equally pleased.
We stayed in one of their suites. It had modern bathroom, with two sinks and a large jacuzzi along with a shower and first rate linens and toiletries, equal to most fine hotels. The room itself was furnished with a large canopy bed, couch and reproduction accessory furniture. Bed was quite comfortable.
Do not forget to go to the Quitman Library and experience Roosevelt the bartender and be sure to drink one or more of his special mint juleps. I have been trying to find the perfect mint julip for 40 years, and my quest has now ended. We came back later and paid extra to get a "mint julip class". It was worth it, as you would never, ever be able to come up with his recipe. Don't question the number of calories in it though.
If you go, tell everyone there that we said hello and to save a place for us because we will be back.

Room Tip: We did not see a swimming pool, but I couldn't figure out how to take it off. If there is a poo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words about our staff and Monmouth Historic Home. One of the perks of
my job is meeting the many wonderful people that visit here and having them experience all of the wonderful things Monmouth has to offer .

We will look forward to your next visit. Until then I hope you enjoy many Mint Julips with your friends.
St. Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This was a lovely place...as long as you understand what it is. To us...this is a beautiful plantation Inn. I would not consider it a true B and B. we did not have good weather...but the grounds were still beautiful. I think it is a fantastic place for an event like a wedding...with 30 rooms. The reason it is not a normal B and B is that there is not really that cozy little area where everyone goes for complimentary glasses of wine, warm cookies and free soft drinks. What it does have, however, is a great bar and bartender and one of the best meals you could have in the restaurant 1818. Breakfast was a delight with Miss Mary cooking a true southern treat. The tour and history of the Inn is worth the effort.

Room Tip: Plan to spend your day and evening at the Inn. No eyed to drive anywhere!
Flagstaff, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

we stayed for 3 nights over Christmas and enjoyed the hotel very much. The staff were always helpful and the room was excellent. When it got cold, we turned on the heating which was quite ferocious but excellent. We had dinner in the restaurant several times and enjoyed the food and service - while the menu is brief we did feel that it was of high quality. The Xmas lunch was especially good. All in all at the risk of repeating what otehrs have said - an excellent hotel with good amenities, something special, and a good restuarant. We would recoonmend to anyone going to Natchez.

Room Tip: there are not a lot of rooms but rooms inside the house are to be preferred - room 23 is very nice a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Athens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Monmouth is a delightful antebellum experience. The house and grounds are awesome. The 1818 restaurant atmosphere was very elegant with great food. The best of the dining experience is the complimentary southern breakfast served in the garden house. If staying in the main house access to the rooms up stairs is hard to maneuver with a lot of luggage but the view of the area from the porch is worth it. We stayed in room 28 that is due some renovation but very clean and well appointed. I will go back someday in the spring or summer. The weather was too cold for walking the trails this trip.

• Stayed December 2012
Long Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We married December 1, 2012. My wife, who goes the beaches by our house almost every day, surprised me by saying she wanted to stay on a plantation, rather than the trip to Hawaii I thought she would want. She chose the Monmouth. I read some reviews, called the desk there, and felt comfortable.

I am amazed to read some of the reviews, and wonder if some of the complaints might be misunderstandings. Often when someone has a awkward situation, a clerk might try to lessen the embarrassment to a patron by describing a more horrific situation. This can be interpreted as an episode, or the way I interpret it: These people are trying to make everyone feel comfortable, even in an awkward situation. I met the people that work there, and there is no way they were trying to be anything other than kind in trying to make someone happy.

I checked in, and apparently the person who took my reservation did not note the room I selected, the Quitman room in the main house. When I called down they immediately sent someone to move my bags to the correct room.

Loren checked us in, and was so congenial. She was genuinely excited that w arrived We flew into New Orleans, drove to Natchez, and could not have been made to feel more at home. Wine and chocolate strawberries as promised, fresh in our room. The home is old but the plumbing and electricity is very modern. The furniture was in amazing condition, the decorations were captivating. The bed was so comfortable I am trying to get one for my home.

The Quitman lounge was another museum unto itself. The hors d'oeuvres were some kind of meat filled pastry. Another night was brie and crackers and the cheese was amazing. I had heard about Roosevelt's Mint Julep. I do not like alcohol, but that was like fruit punch, and I loved it. Roosevelt himself was a pint sized hurricane himself. The diminutive bartender is overwhelmingly warm and radiates irresistible charm. His smile is infectious.

Let me see, Hal who helped us to our room was very friendly and brought ice every day without us even asking.

Christy, who seemed to run the desk most days, was extremely helpful and bright. I had a complicated reservation, sort of, since I booked a two day package plus one more day. We had to cancel the last day, whcih was prepaid, because we were spending the balance of the week in New Orleans and needed to get there a day sooner to coincide with rendezvous with an old friend. At any hotel chain I have ever stayed at, this would have elicited glares and impossible complications. Not with Christy. She obviously did not deal with this much, but figured it out in short order and handled the credit for me.

Janice, who serves breakfast in the coach house, and is thinking of buying one of the guesthouses subdivided from the property, was so kind in her service. She took the time to tell us so much history of the plantation (we missed taking the tour) and her stories just made the experience so much richer. She even arranged for us to meet the owner, Nancy, who came over to our table on the final day, just having arrived herself from where she lives many miles away, and again just charmed us with her personality and enthusiasm about the property. She was also the kindly type of person whom you wish was someone in your family.

George, the waiter in 1818 Restaurant, was also incredibly attentive. I ate fried green tomatoes, which sounded disgusting ever since the movie came out and I found out it referred to food. They were delicious. The steak, the fish, everything was so good.

I do not mean to gush, and I am generally a cynical and jaundiced person. If there is some jerk complaining about service loudly in the lobby, it is usually me. It takes a lot to make me feel like I got my moneys worth, but Monmouth Plantation satisfied me so immensely.

I was made to feel, in the best meaning of the phrase, like family. I was desolated to think I would never see these people again. I wanted to stay, and become part of the culture, and have friends like these people. I imagine many who come through there feel the same way. It was so much more than a hotel. If the staff there is reading this, please know Ami and I wish you much success and hope to see you all again in this lifetime.

Oh and thanks to Marie the night auditor, for putting up with my inane questions with kind patience.

Room Tip: My mistake there was no fitness center. Stay in the main house, in the Quitman room if possible, it...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Monmouth Historic Inn Natchez? Share your experiences!