“Our lodging experience equaled the grandure of this Historic City” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Devereaux Shields House

Win a 3-night Stay
Ranked #5 of 39 Natchez B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Placerville, California
“Our lodging experience equaled the grandure of this Historic City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

This B&B afforded us a comfortable, welcoming accommodation with an outstanding breakfast.
We have traveled the world and have stayed in six other B&B's over the years and the Devereaux Shields House tops them all. We'll be back!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Jackson, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

Eleanor & Ron were the kindest people and truly made us feel "at home" in their B&B. We stayed in the Gallery Room and it included private access to a lovely outdoor porch overlooking Union Street and all its charms - beautiful views of the surrounding architecture and streets lined with crepe myrtles. Breakfast was so good, Eleanor sent me home with a copy of her recipe for the best peach french toast I'd ever tasted. My husband & I decided on Natchez as a last minute weekend getaway to soak up some much need rest & relaxation before the arrival of our first child, this vacation was everything we had hoped for. I highly recommend the Devereaux Shields House, its character and ambiance are superb.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Covington, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

Our weekend stay at The Devereaux-Shields House was such a warm, relaxing experience, that I found myself wondering on the drive home when we could make a return visit! Aunt Clara's cottage is so charming with exquisite furnishings and beautifully coordinated fabrics. Every detail has been attended to. Our breakfasts were delicious and soooo fulfilling that we were never really hungry while we did our shopping around town. And this B & B is very conveniently located to Natchez points of interest. But I must say, the highest recommendation in favor of Devereaux-Shields House would be credited to the proprietors, Ron and Eleanor Fry. They spend as much time with you as you would like and are the absolute definition of "hospitality". They were so gracious and friendly . . . my husband and I truly left feeling that we had made new friends. Anyone booking a stay at Ron and Eleanor's beautiful Bed and Breakfast will not be disappointed. We certainly weren't.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

Actually, I was just one staying night at Clara's Cottage in Natchez. Moreover, I had a beautiful room named "Elmo". Everything was so lovely from my arriving until my departure. Ron and Eleanor (Proprietors) were really nice. I got a warm welcome and they explained nice places nearby. In addition, my room was very clean, wonderful decorated and I had so much space, I loved it and I am sure to visit this place, again. Also, I could park my car right next to Clara's Cottage and even for free - yes for free!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Salem, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

Staying at the Devereaux Shields House will not disappoint you. The innkeepers are a wonderful couple who go out of their way to make you feel right at home, comfortable and see that you are well fed! We spent two nights in the Rose Room. You will not be disappointed. Breakfast was served at their sister inn, Aunt Clara's Cottage just a few door down from the main house. Again, it was a wonderful way to start the day. The comment about who owned the home was tacky...as to the name of the home, they explained to us about Devereux being the original owner of the property, not the home. I might add, who gives a rip? What is important is the hospitality you receive from the innkeepers and, the warmth and charm of the home itself. Charge on!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

We were in the cottage, a few doors from the main house. It was spotlessly clean and beautifully appointed, with luxuriously high ceilings, but what made our stay so pleasurable was the owners desire to provide us with what we needed, which was the use of their personal computer. Several times, they let us into their private areas so that we could use the computer. Each time, they were gracious, smiling, and helpful. The inn is in a quiet residential street, a short walk to the main street.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Gulf Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

I needed to recharge in an atmosphere that would get my mind of a hectic life. Fine food, good conversation, wonderful sleep!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Devereaux Shields House? Share your experiences!