“Great” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Elgin Plantation Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Natchez
Elgin Plantation Bed and Breakfast
1 Elgin Plantation Road, Natchez, MS 39120   |
Ranked #14 of 34 Natchez B&B and Inns
Trondheim, Norway
“Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Mrs Calhoun told us a lot about the city, Lizzy made a great breakfast, and the lodge has charming rooms. All in all, we felt that we got a good impression of how life used to be in Natchez.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Barrington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I recently visited Natchez during Spring Pilgrimage with three dear friends and was delighted with the experience. To begin, we stayed at Elgin Plantation Bed and Breakfast and met out hostess Ruth Ellen Calhoun who was charming and a wealth of information. She made Natchez come alive with suggestions for our daily touring and many stories of the areas rich history. We all loved the accommodations and Lizzie who prepared breakfast for us every day. On the last day, I left wanting to share our our wonderful experience with everyone I know and return again soon. Thank you Ruth Ellen, you and your home made it the wonderful memory it will always be.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Northbrook, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

My mother, sister, and a dear friend went to Natchez for the spring pilgrimage in March. We had a wonderful time visiting the antebellum homes and plantations. However, the highlight for me was actually staying at a plantation. Our hostess, Ruth Ellen Calhoun, was such a charming example of pure, southern hospitality. She was a wealth of information for us. Ruth Ellen and Lizzie, her assistant, made our stay so welcoming. The plantation was a short way from Natchez, complete with songbirds, tranquility and moss dripping from the giant trees. It was as if I had stepped into a history book. I wish that I had come when I was in school, so that I could have seen first hand what the south was like before the Civil War. It would have made what I had read come alive. I so appreciated the time, effort, and attention to detail that both Natchez garden clubs have expended to keep the memories and homes maintained. There were so many stories, homes, and helpers that made the pilgrimage very memorable.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
shreveport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

If you had the good fortune to have had a family member with an old southern home you visited as a child, then this is the experience for you. It is truly like stepping back into the past- staying in an authentic antebellum mansion with your favorite aunt as a hostess. If you want new and modern, stay away and don't complain about the lack of a jacuzzi. On the other hand, if you want to meet one of the most gracious, charming, and knowledgeable southern ladies imaginable, (Mrs. Calhoun), then this is just right for you. The home itself was actually started in the late 1790s, and has been added on again and again, and the stories are colorful and authentic. Her tour alone is worth the trip! The home is out in the country, and you can sit on the veranda at night and listen to...nothing! Lizzie is charming and full of good humor and information-she has been with the Calhouns for over 40 years. Do yourself a favor and visit Elgin while you can. It is a wonderful experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Peterborough, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

What a gem Elgin is, and what a delight to meet Ruth Ellen Calhoun. We stayed at a number of b&b's during our tour of the Deep South but this was easily our favourite. Our room in the old servant quarters was roomy, light and lovely; breakfast prepared and served by the wonderful Lizzie was a perfect start to each day; and the main house and grounds fabulous. My wife kept expecting Rhett Butler to draw up at any moment and doff his hat - thankfully he didn't or I'm sure she'd still be there. But the icing on the cake is Ruth Ellen herself. Such a warm and gracious hostess, it was a real highlight of our holiday to sit in the evening sunshine and chat with her and hear about the history of the house, the area and of her and her family's involvement with it. Added to that she was so helpful with restaurant suggestions and ideas of where to visit. We stayed here in the middle of the Natchez Pilgrimage which may mean a lot to you but meant nothing to us Brits before we arrived. Nevertheless Ruth Ellen fired our enthusiasm, dispatching us to visit other houses, and ending the day with her friends dressed in their finery, showing us around beautiful Elgin itself. Thank you Ruth Ellen, we'll always fondly remember our stay with you.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Berlin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I recently spent ten days traveling Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi. I stayed at several of the old houses, and I can clearly say, the only one I would gladly come back to is Elgin Plantation in Natchez, Mississippi. Unfortunately I could only stay for one night, but that stay was easily the one I enjoyed most during my trip.
Ruth Ellen Calhoun welcomed me warmly into her beautiful home and showed me around the old house. Her enthusiasm for the history of the place was contagious, her knowledge fascinating. I immensely enjoyed the tour.
The guest rooms are located in an outbuilding which is just as old as the main house, though of course nowadays fitted with all modern amenities. My room was clean and comfortable, furnished with beautiful antiques. It had an en-suite bathroom, admittedly not very modern or luxurious, but quite sufficient. I spent the evening on the upstairs porch, enjoying the warm night (even though by Mississippi standards, as Ruth Ellen told me, it was actually rather cool). Here at last I had the peace and quiet I had looked for but had not found in many of the other places I stayed at. Some of that time I spent reading the transcripts of letters one of the inhabitants of the plantation wrote about life there in the 19th century, which made the history of the place come alive even more.
Breakfast next morning was served by Lizzie, the housekeeper at Elgin Plantation for 40 years. The food was excellent and it was a pleasure talking to Lizzie. I would have loved to stay longer and explore the grounds and the area, but I had other plans I could not cancel. If I ever find myself in Mississippi again, I will certainly visit Elgin again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

This plantation is located in a neighbor hood area that is very secluded and quite beautiful. The sounds of the wildlife echoes in the morning and late night and you swear that a horse drawn buggy will be coming soon down the road. Our accommodations were quite lovely and were located in the former servant quarters of the plantation. It was extremely quiet and very clean and the hosts provided refreshments if you needed it at any hour of the day or night. With the accomodations came a tour of the main house and I have to say that it was the best tour of a plantation that I have ever had. Mrs. Calhoun was a fount of knowledge (quite incredible) and she painted a wonderful picture of how life on the plantation had been. Quite frankly, all three of us felt that we will never forget her and how she made history come alive. If only we had that in our history teachers!!!

If you are looking to see and experience history, please stay there and enjoy Mrs. Calhoun's hospitality. By the way, if you read the review by Jessica and her friend, they were staying there as well and we enjoyed their company as well. Truly Southern hospitality lives. Take the opportunity to stay at Elgin. You will not be sorry!!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Elgin Plantation Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!