“Natchez Historic Inn/Guesthouse” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 34 Natchez B&B and Inns
Austin TX
“Natchez Historic Inn/Guesthouse”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

This is a very pretty inn, and I think if our room had been in a different part of the building, it would've seemed quite nice. Unfortunately, our first-floor room (I think it was No. 157) had a single window that only looked out on a blank, two-story brick wall that was probably not more than 4 feet from the window. The result was a room that was so dark that it felt rather cave-like. Considering how expensive the accommodations are at this inn, the room was a disappointment.

If you're considering staying here, I'd probably suggest trying to get a 2nd-floor room and might also try asking in advance whether the room has any sort of a view.

On the upside, the breakfast was quite good, and the staff seemed nice enough.

• Liked — The large, pretty verandas.
  • Disliked — Our room was like a dark cave.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2007

The Natchez Historic Inn is a lovely antebellum home in the historic section of Natchez just a few blocks off the river. The rooms were beautiful. The home is wonderfully decorated with antique furniture. It was nice just walking around the house and looking at the furniture pieces. The room includes a full breakfast in the morning and if you consider how much that would cost, this bed and breakfast really isn't much more than staying at a good motel. Be sure to bring some wine and have a drink on the veranda in the evening. That was the best part of our stay in Natchez. We are older so we don't go for the night life that is available in Natchez. But lounging on the veranda was a whole lot better than watching tv at a motel. We will stay at the historic Inn whenever we are in Natchez. I hope you do too.

• Liked — the anique furniture
  • Disliked — They had extra thick pillow top mattresses but didn't use the extra deep fitted bottom sheets so they sometimes untucked.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
nowhere
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2007

I had my wedding at the Natchez Historic Inn in March, and let me tell you it was a heck of an experience. The manager almost ruined my wedding day and after a long involved story she apologized. The other two girls who were working there were awesome, they made up for all the trouble we had with the manager. My wedding turned out to be a beautiful day, and I am happy that we chose that spot minus the manager. The food was wonderful, and the flowers were awesome. My parents stayed a few more days and apparently the cook walked out b/c of the manager and they were sent somewhere else for breakfast.

• Stayed March 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Huntington. W.V.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2007

When reserving my room as an individual traveling with a group, we were told that the cancellation fee's were waved and that we had 24 hours to cancel as an individual. I was to arrive on Thursday June 14 and stay for 2 nights. However due to my Father's surgery I had to cancel. I called on Wed. June 13th. They refused to honor the policy they previously stated concerning cancellations. After an argument they did agree to charge me for only one room. I am out $143.50. Debbie Chapman Riggs

Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

The Inn is in downtown Natchez, near the river, historic properties, shopping, restaurants and the cemeteries. The staff is very friendly. The rooms have high ceilings and great furnishings. The bathroom was a bit small, but well appointed. If you are looking for a place to stay that mirrors the flavor of the town, this is the place. You should consider staying upstairs. The ground floor rooms are generally quiet, but when breakfast started and we were trying to sleep late, people coming in off the street to eat kept us from sleeping. The breakfast was acceptable (eggs, grits, bacon, biscuits), but nothing to write home about. Don't miss enjoying the front porch in the evening for a drink. They have a well-stocked bar and very good, house-made hors d'oeuvres, highlighted by the tasty onion dip the night we were there. The staff was accommodating of our late checkout and we had a wonderful time.

Stayed May 2007
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2006

What a wonderful stay!!! I recently stayed at the newly renovated Inn and I must say that this is without a doubt the best place to stay in Natchez. I learned that it was purchased this year by one of the legends in grand Southern interior design, Buzz Harper, and it is certainly reflected in the property and the wonderfully appointed rooms. I greatly enjoyed having evening cocktails in the area that reminded me of a proper gentleman's parlor as well as the fabulous made-to-order breakfast in the elegant dining room. The bed was heavenly and the room was very spacious with beautiful furnishings.
I highly recommend this inn to those seeking comfort, elegance and attention to details. I loved my stay so much that I am returning in three weeks with friends!!

• Liked — Grandeur and Elegance and Food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Visit parlor for evening cocktails
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Natchez Historic Inn for our anniversary this year. We had stayed at the inn before, but it came under new ownership and management early this year and we hadn't had the opportunity to return since then. I called the property directly to make our reservations. The person with whom I spoke was very friendly and outgoing, and was able to answer the questions I had about the inn and its surroundings. She also made dinner reservations for us for that Saturday night at an up-scale restaurant in town--I didn't have to call them at all.
We arrived on a Friday evening, and the place was buzzing with activity. There is a lovely sitting room with a cash bar in the hotel, and there are all kinds of snacks and appetizers available to everyone. After checking in, we spent about an hour in the sitting room and on the veranda, sipping champagne and chatting with other guests and hotel staff. For dinner, the receptionist recommended a local restaurant within walking distance which we absolutely loved.
Saturday morning we didn't want to get up because the bed was so comfortable, but we also didn't want to miss breakfast at the inn. The options were modest, but we were satisfied with the southern meal, which included eggs, bacon, grits and biscuits. (There was lighter fare, but we wanted the full experience.) We spent the morning wandering around the historic downtown district and its antique shops and touring one of the antebellum homes. After lunch we opted to be lazy at the hotel, reading and chatting in the shady courtyard, which was completely full of ferns, flowering plants, fountains, and other items of interest. That evening we went to the upscale restaurant mentioned above, where we were seated at the main table. It turned out that of the six couples at that table, three of us were staying at the same inn and everyone was very complimentary of it.
Sunday morning we made sure to get out of bed in time for breakfast. When we checked out, the staff truly seemed sorry to see us go. We will definitely return.

• Liked — There are so many interesting things to look at in the hotel that we noticed something different every time we entered a room.
  • Disliked — Although the TV in our room was new and nice, it was very small for the size of the room.
  • Tips/Secrets — If you are going to stay at the Natchez Historic Inn for a couple of days, think about booking one of their "package getaways" which includes many extra amenities for a good price (we will probably do that next time).
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Natchez Guest House? Share your experiences!