“Old charm, historic property” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dunleith

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Natchez
Dunleith
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   84 Homochitto Street, Natchez, MS 39204   |
Special Offer
Free Gift
Ranked #2 of 19 hotels in Natchez
Central Coast, California
“Old charm, historic property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

We had a good experience at Dunleith. It is an historic antebellum home that sits on a large chunk of land. Former household buildings have been converted into a gift shop and restaurant and bar lounge serving its guests. We stayed on the second floor, and there is no elevator, but here you are expected to have a bell boy attend to your luggage. Parking is on premises and we were able to park very close to the stairs to our room. There is no additional charge for parking, it's free with the room. The room was adequate, with two beds as we requested - a double and a twin (we would have preferred two doubles or queens but that was not available). We had a closet and a dresser, there was also a fireplace in the room, but probably is never used, since it's way too close to one of the beds. The room had a TV which had a very small screen (13") which made it difficult to watch it from the bed which it faced, since the distance was too much for such a small screen. The sink was in the room, the bathroom had a bathtub and the toilet. Everything in the bathroom worked fine. The air conditioner worked fine and cooled the room sufficiently. There was no coffee maker in the room nor were any complimentary beverages made available to guests. There is a restaurant and a bar lounge on the premises. In the restaurant they serve a full complimentary breakfast to the overnight guests. The breakfast was very good, guests select one out of several options. The grounds are big but not really utilized. There is a bacce ball court, a swimming pool, and a carriage house where about 9 historical carriages are displayed. Guests get a complimentary tour of the first floor of the Dunleith main house. At night the property is lit and guests are treated to a beautiful view of the lit up mansion. Overall this was a good experience and a good value. We enjoyed the tour of the home the next day and the overall location was good - halfway between the historic downtown and the newer shopping and dining areas.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

102 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Keller, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

We stayed here as part of our tour of the south during Thanksgiving. Picked this place because of reviews read on Trip Advisor as well as advice from a friend from Mississippi. From the description of the place, I chose a room on the third floor, so we could experience first hand living in a plantation. Unfortunately, we enter the house from the outside stairway on an attached addition to the home, and then into the upper floors, so the experience was not like that of other bed & Breakfast homes where we can meander through the house. We were able to tour the first floor when the home is open for tours. Our room was very big and comfortable. The breakfast is served in their restaurant across the yard and very good. The people are friendly and the location is good for taking a walk by other nice homes in town.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — going to our room from a covered outdoor stairway during a rainy day.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Florence, MS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

My wife and I booked for Balloon Festival Oct 2007 at the Dunleith. I made reservations on the phone with Dunleith and was informed I would not be billed for early cancellation. Two weeks prior to event I received a phone call from Dunleith Management (elderly lady) informing me me my credit card would be billed before the event or the reservations would be cancelled. Reason for management calling two weeks prior to reservations was because the girl that booked my reservations was unaware of the regulations for cancellation during balloon festival. I explained to the elderly lady that I was activated in the military and could be called out on a trip overseas and I do not want to get billed in case of call-up.
I had to track down (THE) manager and she was very eager to correct the problem and very helpful.
My wife and I enjoyed our stay and also booked again at the Dunleith for 2008 balloon festival at Bowies Tavern.
I contacted Dunleith in November to confirm my reservations and everything was set. December Dunleith Management contacted me (Elderly Lady) again to inform me once again their staff had made an error and the room I reserved had been previously promised to another family. She did not offer any resolution, options, appology, or anything. This time management or (THE) Manager would not fix their mistake.
So, Dunleith completley stinks and I would not suggest this property to noone. However, if you are looking for a great time or even a wedding, checkout the Monmouth or EOLA hotel. My wife and I got married at the Monmouth and you cannot ask for better service, hospitality, or experience. Oh, if you go to the Monmouth, please meet Hal because he will take care of you. For the balloon festival 2008, my wife and I stayed at EOLA Hotel and it was super as well. Hope this helps.

• Liked — Everything except Management
  • Disliked — Management and there means of correcting their mistakes.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2008

A really great place, with lots of atmosphere.

Sitting on the porch in a rockling chair in the morning with a coffee from reception and a good book was a pleasure.

The breakfast buffet was first class and the service was great. The pub was very hospitable. The check-in staff were great.

The town was a real surprise. We were breaking a trip from new Orleans to Memphis, but hadn't expected to stumble on such a beautiful town with a stunning river setting.

I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Erlanger, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

We stayed for a couple nights in one of the riverview rooms, which are downtown and not on the plantation itself. The room itself was terrific! Long and spacious, with exposed brick walls and ceiling beams - very cozy! Part carpet, part hardwood floors; extremely comfortable four poster king size bed; bathroom with two sinks, large jetted tub, and separate shower; large balcony, with an incredible view of the Mississippi River; and convenient location, within very easy walking distance of everything downtown.

All in all, the riverview rooms are very well done, BUT...with only one drawback: noise! The rooms are right over a nightclub with live bands, so at night you will have to deal with the noise until the band winds down, which apparently is around 11pm on weeknights, and sometime after midnight on weekends. I wouldn't have minded so much if I had known about this beforehand, but this fact is not explained on Dunleith's website, nor are you informed about it when you call to make your reservation. At $160 a night ($178 after taxes), I believe that this fact is need-to-know information, and not making people aware of it is bad form on the part of the management. I did love the room, and actually, you get used to the noise after a while, (by the second night it didn't really bother us much at all), but it is something that you should be made aware of when you book your reservation.

One other matter, that didn't ruin our stay, but was a little annoying, was that the room rate is supposed to include a tour of the main house, but when we checked in, we were told, "the main house is closed for tours this week." No explanation, no apology.

I do have to say that the breakfast was outstanding. It is served at the Castle restaurant on the main property, and both days the food and the service were both excellent. Also, housekeeping did a great job with our room during our stay.

All in all, we loved our riverview room despite the noise from the nightclub, and we had a terrific stay, but the management needs a little work on their customer relations skills.

• Liked — Beautiful room, beautiful view
  • Disliked — Noise, and no house tour
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

I stayed in the Dunleith Plantation on my second night in Natchez, and my room was excellent. Basically, all the amenities within the room were very good. Unfortunately, I was not able to see the inside of the main house as I left early the next morning. However, the pub/restaurant down the road (about 50 yards from room), was excellent. The breakfast buffet included in the room rate was quite decent. The check in/out staff were efficient and hospitable.

The location was good too, as the downtown area was only a 5 minute drive. Check out the huge, old tree next to the wing of the Plantation house, as this was quite a site to see. You can see some of it's ancient branches plunged into the earth to form "trees" of their own!

• Stayed August 2008
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

We wandered upon this beauty on a hot summer's day. Although we had only planned to take a tour, Minnie, the hospitable lady at the front desk, informed us that they had vacancies. We immediately cancelled our reservation at the Hampton Inn and jumped at the chance to stay the night in a beautiful plantation house.

When we saw our room in the main house we were beside ourselves. The antique furniture made us feel like we had stepped right into a scene from Gone With the Wind. We proceeded to tour the grounds and met Mr. Precious, the 18 year old cat who presides over the plantation. Our tour guide, Judy, showed us around the ground floor and was very informative (the tour and a delicious buffet breakfast were included in the price of the room).

Our only regret is that we could only stay one night. You will love it.

• Liked — The setting is breath taking
  • Disliked — The bathroom
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Dunleith? Share your experiences!