“A true dining experience” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 88 restaurants in Mill Valley
Cuisines: Indian, Mexican
minnesota
“A true dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We feel so fortunate to have been directed to this restaurant. We were spending the night in Mill Valley and a local told us about Avatar's.
What a delight. The owner greeted us, asked if we had been at his restaurant before. Then asked us a few questions about our taste preferences, told us to put down the menu's and he would fix us a meal that we would be licking our plate after the meal was complete.
Although I did not lick the plate the meal was fantastic.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

100% Recommend
Superior, Wisconsin, USA
“Yum! What a great combination of flavors!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

I found this place after deciding I was not going to Muir Woods on an empty stomach. I pulled up the TripAdvisor app and located a restaurant in Mill Valley. However, the restaurant was no longer there, so I set out walking and came across this place. I am so glad that other place was gone because Avatar's Punjab Burritos was just what I wanted without knowing it. It smelled good from about a block away, curry and something sweet in the air.
I decided upon the chicken curry burrito, but it was very tough to choose from all the options for burritos (wrapped in an Indian bread rather than a tortilla) and rice plates. My burrito was the size of a small football and loaded with delicious, tender chunks of chicken, vegetables, garbanzo beans, and a sweet fruit chutney. The menu said the chutney was of seasonal fuit. I'm sure I tasted pear and maybe something a little more tart. It was great. I ate the whole thing and though I was stuffed, would have eaten another one if I could. In all honesty, it kept me full all day long.
Since it was a beautful spring day, I sat outside and enjoyed the sunshine. The only thing that marred my experience was the table of ladies next to me who decided it was time to loudly talk about their children and their divorces. However, that's not the restaurant's fault. Each burrito is made-to-order, and despite about ten people arriving at the same time, service was quick.
I've never had anything quite like that curry burriito, but I will certainly be trying to re-create it in my own kitchen.

New Canaan, Connecticut
“awesome food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had a jerk chicken burrito here on one sunny afternoon in January. The food was fantastic. The burrito shell was more like parata than a tortilla. What a great way to marry two types of cuisine. I would highly recommend this place.

Visited January 2013
Modesto, California
“Take Indian spices and food and wrap it in a tortilla.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Read about this place and was looking for Indian food. A short couple miles from 101 in quaint Mill Valley. Seating for about 10 inside. Friendly service. Custom orders no problem. Several curries available with or without meat. Wrap it all up in a shell if you want! "Purveyors of Ethnic Confusion since 1989" the sign says. The Indian clerk speaking Spanish to the cooks made for a unique experience! I would definitely go back a grab a bite again if I was ever in the area.

Sebastopol, California
“Awesome Vegan Indain with a Mexican Flair”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I had the special Curried pumpkin with tofu was excellent.

They also have two nice outside tables in their Petaluma location downtown.

• Visited November 2012