“super business stay away from the fray” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Home Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mill Valley
Mountain Home Inn
You added Mountain Home Inn to your Saves list
810 Panoramic Highway, Mill Valley, CA 94941   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Mill Valley B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago
“super business stay away from the fray”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

This hidden gem is an ideal getaway for the busy business traveler such as myself. Only about 25 minutes outside of San Francisco with easy access to all my downtown meeting venues, this quiet mountain top getaway provided the tranquility and peace necessary to recharge my batteries from the day's activities and offered a great setting to conduct all the necessary business follow up on my laptop while enjoying the awesome views. Rooms and staff were great and I'd definitiely recommend the Mountain Home Inn to other business and leisure travelers alike.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Oakland, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

We live in the area and know it well. We decided to stay at Mt. Home Inn to celebrate my wife' birthday with our teenage kids and to hike Mt. Tam, which borders Muir Woodsmto the north. We stayed in Room 9 and had dinner here the week before Christmas.

The room was simple and clean, but you don't come here for the room. You come for a great location for hiking or biking Tam - where modern mountain biking began. You canalso come for the dinner. We had a fine dinner for four with a killer Zin for under $200.

If you want an upscale vacation, stay in the city or in Mill Valley. But if you want to roll out of bed onto the trail, this is your spot.

One suggestion: they need an espresso machine. Some of us do not handle mornings all that well on brewed coffee. But this is a small point. Overall, we will be back.

• Stayed December 2011
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend getaway. It's a very charming place with an unbeatable view. There were numerous things to love about this place, but the bed in the room we stayed in (Rm # 10), was EXTREMELY hard! This was mentioned by a previous reviewer as well, who likened it to sleeping on plywood. I completely agree.

The bed was so brutal, both my husband and I woke up with very sore back muscles. My husband's back still hurts every time he breathes in, and it has already been more than 1 day since we left the inn. We've stayed at numerous hotels and inns before, and have never encountered such an uncomfortable bed.

PROs:
- Unbeatable views of the trees and bay
- Charming room decor
- Jacuzzi in our room
- Freshly squeezed orange juice
- Super delicious breakfast (included) with a view!
- Rustic charm; you feel like you're away from it all

CONS:
- Worn-out carpet in the hallways
- EXTREMELY HARD BED!! (Rm# 10)

We loved this inn but unfortunately will not come back because we could not get proper sleep on the bed.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
weloveromantichotels, Owner at Mountain Home Inn, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Thank you for your kind words explaining why the inn is a special place. We are very sorry however to hear the bed was too hard for you. We take pride in providing comfortable beds and thank you for telling us the room number. We are making immediate plans to correct it.
White Rock, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

I prearranged details for a small wedding ceremony long-distance, over the phone, with Marisa at the Mountain Home Inn. Tthe plan if it rained (and it did) was to have our wedding ceremony in the downstairs dining room followed by lunch.

Our wedding was very small and intimate. We had a few guests (a total of six adults and two children) and choose Mt. Tam for it’s beautiful and peaceful surroundings. We arrived at the Mountain Home Inn ½ an hour early and it appeared that the staff wasn’t expecting us. The downstairs dining room wasn’t prepared and because of the weather it was really cold.

The staff appeared to be pretty laid-back, but I was surprised at how quickly they were able to set up a table for our lunch. It was a good thing we arrived early though, as this gave them some time to get the downstairs dining room prepared for our lunch. The setting actually worked very well for us, our ceremony was held on time outside on the balcony (under a covered area) followed by a long and leisurely lunch in the downstairs dining room. It was rather cold, but staff kept the fireplace burning and turned up the heat for us.

We took our time and ordered lunch from the menu, the food was very good. They had a good assortment of dishes including vegetarian and kid friendly options. I never did meet Marisa but the staff really pulled things together for us and helped make our day special.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Sylvania, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

I have to say, from the website pictures and descriptions, I was expecting upscale rustic. What we got was upscale motel. The bathroom was large but extremely dated. The bed was about as soft as a piece of plywood - and after hiking all day, a really uncomfortable bed stands out!. And for the price, I expected a lot more out of the decor - think Colonial Williamsburg meets 1980's. However. the room was large and the deck, although run down, was nice. The food was really above average - but the prices were a bit out of whack for what you get. The view was amazing. But, I was hoping for more for the money. PS (all you rugged sports fans and cable tv junkies out there....there are no tv's :-) ).

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

The amazing vistas atop Mount Tamalpais is enough to draw visitors, but the service and accommodations at the Mountain Home Inn are the icing on the cake. I booked this inn for my husband's birthday due to his love of hiking and the redwood forest; despite some negative reviews on service and value. The Mountain Home Inn greatly exceeded my expectations. We stayed in Room 2; The Wildflower Room. The website stated it to be small, but the room was spacious enough to feel like a cozy cabin in the woods. True enough the room is not large, but the glass doors leading out to the deck let in plenty of natural light making the room seem larger. The private bath was immaculately clean (something which personally decides my decision for a future stay). The tub was wide enough for soaking though a bit short for my 6'2" husband. The pedestal sink accommodates only one at a time, but adds charm. The room itself is simply and rustically furnished which also adds charm and a cozy feel. Our room also had a wood burning fireplace with wood and kindling provided. What set the room apart where the little touches, such as votive candles ready to be lit and a clock radio/cd player loaded with a romantic new age disc. (and if you don't like this particular choice in music) choose from a good selection of nature sounds. The bed was truly comfortable, but be aware down feather pillow if you're allergic. The service and staff were equally impressive. The staff was friendly and attentive. We came in late from dinner in Mill Valley and wanted to enjoy a hot beverage. Though the Inn's restaurant was just closing, the evening host was gracious in fulfilling my request. I ordered the hot cocoa which came with fluffy fresh marshmallows (not the dehydrated kind). Our host even offered to help me carry the hot cups to our room. My husband and I sat out on the deck sipping our hot drinks while we gazed up at the night sky and took in view of the lights around the bay . The cooked-to-order breakfast which is complimentary with the room was excellent. The breakfast potatoes where cooked to perfection and a great compliment to the french toast and veggie omelet we ordered. Served out on their deck, looking out among tree tops and the view of the bay, there is no better way to enjoy a good meal. I've tried to be as specific at possible to dispel any negative reviews. The only drawback, if it is one, is there was no television in our room; though the inn does have WiFi. The Mountain Home Inn is a wonderful place to relax, spend quality time with your sweetheart or family, and enjoy the beauty of nature. Access to trails leading to Muir Woods is just across the street with a choice of easy or moderate hiking trails. We hiked for just over 3 hours making a loop from the Alice Eastwood Trail (paved road) down to Muir Wood and taking the Ocean View Trail (moderate) back up to Panoramic Hwy. I highly recommend the Mountain Home Inn and will return.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

Up in the mountains - very beautiful setting with great views off the balcony. Food was surprisingly good, and the bar was handy, since there's nothing much around there but houses. We hiked down from the front door into the woods in the morning, which was a nice walk, but we got a bit lost. It's not a cheap place to stay, so make sure you are going for relaxation or for the view. Staff were quite helpful, even lighting a fire downstairs for us when it got a bit chilly.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Mountain Home Inn? Share your experiences!