“worn-out mattress, highway noise an BEDBUGS!...not worth it at any price” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Tamalpais Motel

Tamalpais Motel
You added Tamalpais Motel to your Saves list
Tamalpais Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   680 Redwood Hwy, Mill Valley, CA 94941   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Mill Valley
Marina del Rey, California
“worn-out mattress, highway noise an BEDBUGS!...not worth it at any price”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Our Family w/ 2 kids stayed here and brought the bedbugs back to our home afterwards. Now my bedbug-allergic wife has bites up and down her arms and legs; and we're plastic bagging and washing EVERYTHING to try to get rid of bedbugs from our home. I wished we had arrived earlier in the evening to see what a cesspool it was, but after our 9pm check-in, we didn't want to look around for a vacancy somewhere else on a holiday weekend......BIG MISTAKE!
If you HAVE TO stay here -keep your luggage in your car, or in the tile bathroom; and put everything that was inside the room in a black plastic garbage bag. That way if you leave it in your car in the sun it will heat to 120-degrees F for awhile and kill all the bedbugs. Otherwise you can wash it all in a HOT WATER wash.
Better yet..just STAY AWAY.....I'M NOT KIDDING!
-what a nightmare

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
TamalpaisMotel, Webmaster at Tamalpais Motel, responded to this review, October 14, 2011

Thank you for choosing Tamalpais Motel for your recent stay in our area.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of bedbugs in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to their extermination.

We take our reviews very seriously. I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Tamalpais Motel, I think you will be greatly pleased.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

When you plan a last minute trip the Bay Area over a holiday weekend and you're on a budget, please don't stay at the Tamalpais Motel like we did. First night's room had big stains on the floor, terrible mattresses, no side tables for one of the beds, though the bathroom had been updated, though not enough counter space or a soap dish in the shower. Second's night room featured a better mattress, but still stains on the carpet, weird green gunk inside of the ancient lampshades and hairs on the towels and sheets. Not-updated bathroom with a shower fixture that seemed to be missing a proper nozzle. AND one day later I am covered in large red welts traveling up my arms and legs. So spend $20 more bucks and stay someplace else.

Room Tip: ask for a better mattress and you better check for signs of bedbugs.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
TamalpaisMotel, Webmaster at Tamalpais Motel, responded to this review, September 17, 2011

Thank you for choosing Tamalpais Motel for your recent stay in our area.

• Housekeeping staff received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of possible bedbugs and instructed to look into the matter and to see to their elimination.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Tamalpais Motel. We take our guest reviews very seriously and I think you will be greatly pleased.

New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Filthy, disgusting and no air conditioning (though unmentioned in the amenities). Never, ever, stay at this dump. Ever.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing Tamalpais Motel for your recent stay in our area.

• Management was approached about the possibility of installing air conditioners in some of the rooms.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Tamalpais Motel. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

This motel resembled what I could only have imagined seeing in a horror movie. When we arrived it was late and were happy (at the time) to have just found a place to stay. The room’s door had been kicked in and patched back together so it would still closed. On the walls was dried spit and the carpets were filthy dirty. We propped a chair against the door, slept in our clothes on top of the bed, and left as soon as the sun came up.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
TamalpaisMotel, Webmaster at Tamalpais Motel, responded to this review, April 1, 2011

Thank you for choosing Tamalpais Motel for your recent stay in our area.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is greatly appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) Maintenance staff was notified of the condition of the door in the room assigned to you and instructed to repair it properly.

2) Housekeeping staff received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

cheap and handy location to all holiday attractions, good central location. Staff friendly, room serviced everyday , very clean. Not a place to live in but to base yourself just for sleeping and taking off each day for activities.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Davis, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

Tired from an all day road trip, my father and I checked into The Tamalpais Motel for the evening. While my father turned in for the night straight away, I stayed up a little later to watch some television. I was sitting on the bed and happened to notice a bug crawling up my arm. I recognized it as a bed bug and woke my dad straight away. We gathered our belongings and went to the front desk. The woman at the desk did not seem surprised by our experience and only asked how many we saw. We were refunded our money and checked into the motel across the street (which wasn't much cleaner but didn't have bed bugs.)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing Tamalpais Motel for your recent stay in our area.

1) Maintenance staff was notified of the report of bed bugs and instructed to see to their extermination.

2) Housekeeping staff received further training concerning the level of cleanliness which they are required to maintain as our employees.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

This is an old motel that sits along the 101 highway not too far north of the Golden Gate Bridge. I was looking for an inexpensive place to crash around sunset. I got a room for $65 at about 6:00 p.m.

The room was relatively small and not particularly fancy. The bed was perfectly adequate. There were no bugs or vermin. The bathroom was surprisingly clean; indeed it had been recently remodeled (not super fancy, of course, but relatively new nonetheless).

I was assured that there was Internet access but for whatever reason (I'm pretty tech savvy), I couldn't get it too work. Rather than complain, I just used my broadband card. The highway noise was quite loud but I was able to drown it out very successfully by running the fan in the room (there didn't appear to be any air conditioning). Given that a Best Western a couple of miles north in San Rafael had quoted me something like $150 as their cheapest rate for the night, I considered myself better off here. Still, I probably wouldn't recommend this hotel if to anyone who had the luxury to shop around ahead of time.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Cavallo Point
Cavallo Point
#3 of 4 in Sausalito
4.5 of 5 stars 722 reviews

Been to Tamalpais Motel? Share your experiences!