“One word: Bedbugs” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Mill Valley
Los Angeles, California
“One word: Bedbugs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

When you plan a last minute trip the Bay Area over a holiday weekend and you're on a budget, please don't stay at the Tamalpais Motel like we did. First night's room had big stains on the floor, terrible mattresses, no side tables for one of the beds, though the bathroom had been updated, though not enough counter space or a soap dish in the shower. Second's night room featured a better mattress, but still stains on the carpet, weird green gunk inside of the ancient lampshades and hairs on the towels and sheets. Not-updated bathroom with a shower fixture that seemed to be missing a proper nozzle. AND one day later I am covered in large red welts traveling up my arms and legs. So spend $20 more bucks and stay someplace else.

Room Tip: ask for a better mattress and you better check for signs of bedbugs.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
TamalpaisMotel, Webmaster at Tamalpais Motel, responded to this review, September 17, 2011

Thank you for choosing Tamalpais Motel for your recent stay in our area.

• Housekeeping staff received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of possible bedbugs and instructed to look into the matter and to see to their elimination.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Tamalpais Motel. We take our guest reviews very seriously and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Filthy, disgusting and no air conditioning (though unmentioned in the amenities). Never, ever, stay at this dump. Ever.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing Tamalpais Motel for your recent stay in our area.

• Management was approached about the possibility of installing air conditioners in some of the rooms.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Tamalpais Motel. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

This motel resembled what I could only have imagined seeing in a horror movie. When we arrived it was late and were happy (at the time) to have just found a place to stay. The room’s door had been kicked in and patched back together so it would still closed. On the walls was dried spit and the carpets were filthy dirty. We propped a chair against the door, slept in our clothes on top of the bed, and left as soon as the sun came up.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
TamalpaisMotel, Webmaster at Tamalpais Motel, responded to this review, April 1, 2011

Thank you for choosing Tamalpais Motel for your recent stay in our area.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is greatly appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) Maintenance staff was notified of the condition of the door in the room assigned to you and instructed to repair it properly.

2) Housekeeping staff received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

cheap and handy location to all holiday attractions, good central location. Staff friendly, room serviced everyday , very clean. Not a place to live in but to base yourself just for sleeping and taking off each day for activities.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Davis, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

Tired from an all day road trip, my father and I checked into The Tamalpais Motel for the evening. While my father turned in for the night straight away, I stayed up a little later to watch some television. I was sitting on the bed and happened to notice a bug crawling up my arm. I recognized it as a bed bug and woke my dad straight away. We gathered our belongings and went to the front desk. The woman at the desk did not seem surprised by our experience and only asked how many we saw. We were refunded our money and checked into the motel across the street (which wasn't much cleaner but didn't have bed bugs.)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing Tamalpais Motel for your recent stay in our area.

1) Maintenance staff was notified of the report of bed bugs and instructed to see to their extermination.

2) Housekeeping staff received further training concerning the level of cleanliness which they are required to maintain as our employees.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

This is an old motel that sits along the 101 highway not too far north of the Golden Gate Bridge. I was looking for an inexpensive place to crash around sunset. I got a room for $65 at about 6:00 p.m.

The room was relatively small and not particularly fancy. The bed was perfectly adequate. There were no bugs or vermin. The bathroom was surprisingly clean; indeed it had been recently remodeled (not super fancy, of course, but relatively new nonetheless).

I was assured that there was Internet access but for whatever reason (I'm pretty tech savvy), I couldn't get it too work. Rather than complain, I just used my broadband card. The highway noise was quite loud but I was able to drown it out very successfully by running the fan in the room (there didn't appear to be any air conditioning). Given that a Best Western a couple of miles north in San Rafael had quoted me something like $150 as their cheapest rate for the night, I considered myself better off here. Still, I probably wouldn't recommend this hotel if to anyone who had the luxury to shop around ahead of time.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2006

Cockroaches, plugged toilet, people talking in the next room (but only until midnight): if this sounds good to you, I highly recommend the Tamalpais Motel.

My toilet was clogged when I checked in. I called the manager and they asked me to come pick up the plunger so I could fix it myself?! I pressed them for better service and a couple maintenance people showed up to unclog the toilet. They did succeed, but only after splashing toilet water on my bathmat, which they never replaced.

Who are these people?

On the upside, when I awoke in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, I only saw ONE cockroach on my bed.

Prices have doubled in the last 6 months from 60ish to 120ish per night. They do not have a senior discount -- but they readily discount seniors.

Overall, this place is awful and it would likely be a service to Mill Valley if it went out of business. Way better motel/hotels are available in the area for the same price. Look around and steer clear of here.

• Liked — The Location is Good!
  • Disliked — Cockroach, clogged toilet/dirty room, customer service, PRICE.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Thank you for choosing Tamalpais Motel for your recent stay in our area.

1) Management and desk staff received additional training in the courteous manner in which they are to treat our valued guests.

2) Maintenance staff was contacted about the report of cockroaches and instructed to see to their extermination.

3) Management staff was contacted about the possibility of having a regularly advertised senior discount.

4) Housekeeping staff received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

Been to Tamalpais Motel? Share your experiences!