“Chain Restaurant” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
United States
“Chain Restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Unfortunately this place is in a prime location but serves below average Italian food. We were a party of two and were both disappointed. The food was very bland and over salted. I know it's a chain, I just hoped it was decent. The place is large and was very empty. Nice seating outside. Service is just okay.

Visited September 2011

Healdsburg, CA
“Where's the spice?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

A great (and I mean GREAT!) tomato sauce should be one of the signatures of an Italian restaurant. Pasta Pomodoro is a chain, so I did not expect the folks in the kitchen to be artists. I expected artisans, trained in their craft, experts in recreating the flavors the chefs back at corporate HQ carefully designed for them. Sadly, that's probably what I got...which does not reflect well on the boss chef.
I ordered the Verdure, a plate of sautéd vegetables in a "spicy pomodoro sauce." My wife got capellini with pesto. Neither dish had much flavor, and mine was anything but spicy. I had to amp it up with red pepper flakes.
Only the flavors need rethinking. The rest of the experience was better than I expected. The vegetables were cooked perfectly. The service was excellent. The warm herb bread with pesto dipping sauce was superb (terrific crust). The cost was in line with the experience.
We were eating early, so the restaurant was only half-filled, but almost every table held a single parent with a child or two. I mused that Mill Valley must be rife with divorce. I asked my server why so many kids. He smiled, "It's Tuesday night: kids eat free."
P.S.—The kids were all very well behaved.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tiburon, CA
“Disappointing food and service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

We have had dinner at Pasta Pomodoro three times recently, because it is conveniently located and promised to give a nice experience. Two occasions were with friends and the other was with a club, when there were 11 of us. We were disappointed each time.
First, service was slow. Worse, however, was the food, which had a fast-food blandness and was not tasty. Some of the dishes were very salty ; not a good idea this day and age!
While main dishes were reasonably priced , they were not good value for money.

• Visited October 2011