“Excellent small hotel in a nice quiet location” 4 of 5 stars

Mill Valley Inn
3.5 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   165 Throckmorton Ave., Mill Valley, CA 94941   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Mill Valley
cHICAGO
“Excellent small hotel in a nice quiet location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Very nice boutique type of hotel in a beautiful quaint location. Great service and decent breakfast. Staff was very unobtrusive and you needed to interact only if you wanted. We enjoyed our stay and the only negative is that on Tuesday Morning if you are on the street side the garbage trucks will wake you very early in the morning. However, 2 of the larger rooms #7 & 8 are on the street side.

Our sink was clogged and shame on me for not saying anything as I thought the maid would notice when she cleaned the sink so we had a somewhat clogged sink for three days. Nonetheless, a beautiful little hotel in a nice setting and we would defiantly stay again.

Room Tip: 7 & 8 are nice size rooms if travelling with family. Great coffee shops close by as well as som...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Just had a weekend getaway with my wife at the Mill Valley Inn and absolutely loved it. Stayed in the Creek House out back, room and balcony were nesteled in a redwood grove above a creek. Room was very comfortable and quiet.

Complimentary Breakfast - Great
Location in town of Mill Valley - Great
Hiking into Muir Woods right down the street - Great
Wine/Cheese Happy House - Great

Just a great place for a nice getaway. Did not need to get in our car for two days and will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Creek House out back is great.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great place to stay if Mill Valley is on your list of destinations. The hotel is tucked in the forest but also right in the town of Mill Valley--walking distance to restaurants and shops. Enjoy the reception that is offered daily in the lounge area. Nice wines and cheeses.

Room Tip: Ask for a King Room as beds are more comfortable this way.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Ft Worth. TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Our daughter lives in the area so we have stayed here many times . . . always enjoyable. The location is perfect. Lots of good restaurants nearby. The included breakfast is very good . . . hot and cold cereals, several varieties of fruit, breads and muffins, lox and bagels with all the trimmings, Peet's coffee, a waffle machine where you make your own waffles . . . daily newspapers furnished . . . it doesn't get any better than this. I like the front building better because it has an elevator and easier access to dining area and the street. Rooms on upper floor preferable; try and get one with a balcony overlooking redwoods or street and not next to elevator. The fireplace is nice since it's almost always cold in the mornings. I have never stayed here June - Sept., so I don't know how it is then. Good off season rates in the winter.

Room Tip: Front building, upper floor with balcony and fireplace, away from elevator.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New Canaan, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I recently traveled to Mill Valley California to see a show at the new Sweetwater Music Hall. This Inn is within walking distance of the venue so I booked it. My room was in the creekhouse part of the hotel. When I arrived I was warmly greeted by the staff. They helped me with parking and informed me that I would be in the Creekhouse so I should pull around back and the parking would be better. It was.
I was told that getting to my room would involve a lot of stairs and was I ok with that. I said yes. He took me around the side of the building and we went through a door and up more stairs. He opened the door to my room and I was instantly confused. I had booked a king with a sofa and all i saw when i walked in was the living area. He said oh you have been kind of upgraded. This is the penthouse suite. Um yeah it is. The room was phenomenal. the balcony runs along the entire lenght of the suite. Looking out onto redwoods on two sides. Wow is about all i can say. There is a wet bar area, 1 and a half baths, sofa, chairs, two tvs and a bathroom that has a soaking tub and a shower. Seriously, if you are heading to Mill Valley this is the way to do it. The breakfast spread was very nice. Great variety and there are waffles. Plenty of coffee and a staff willing to do whatever they can to accomodate you. If you care for any other kind of coffee there is a shop right next door. Otherwise there are two more right down the street. This Inn is perfectly located within walking distance of some great dining and entertainment. Anytime I come back to Mill Valley this is where I will be staying. Probably not the Penthouse again but it won't matter to me.

Room Tip: Go with the penthouse!!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Booked here to see John Muir Woods and surrounding area. Unfortunately, we slept really poorly, because our room (#4) was right underneath the kitchen. Every few hours, somebody would stomp through the kitchen and woke us up every time. Though that management was completely, understanding and gave us a full refund.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
JFlake, Manager at Mill Valley Inn, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear ChicagoNoel,

We are extremely sorry that your stay at the inn was not restful, and we will definitely use the feedback you have provided to address the noise issue with regards to the room you stayed in. We take pride in knowing that our property is a place that people come to enjoy our downtown atmosphere, to relax, and most importantly to get a great night’s sleep. Once again, we are very sorry we could not provide that during your previous stay and we hope that you will give us another chance if you are travelling in the area in the future.

Bryan Pourtabib
Operations Manager
Mill Valley Inn
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This inn offers a lovely place to stay while exploring beautiful Marin. The staff is friendly and accommodating, the dining area lovely ( great afternoon wine-time and lovely continental breakfast). Great beds and soaking tubs. However, I'd suggest that visitors avoid rooms 2, 3, and 4, which are sandwiched between the garage and dining area (quite noisy). Definitely a place to splurge and go for the better rooms. I'll do so, next time.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 2, 3, 4
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mill Valley Inn? Share your experiences!