“Even with new owners, a terrible place!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Pier & The Pebble Hotel

The Pier & The Pebble Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Penarth
The Pier & The Pebble Hotel
You added The Pier & The Pebble Hotel to your Saves list
The Esplanade, Penarth CF64 3AU, Wales   |
UK
“Even with new owners, a terrible place!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I decided to visit this newly taken over restaurant (now named the Pier Hotel) for brunch with friends. It is located in a great spot on Penarth seafront with lovely views. We were the only guests so we were expecting good food and service. When our eggs benedict was served, we were surprised to see it accompanied by a tired looking salad (strange in itself for 9am) which included a wrinkled piece of cucumber and the poached eggs were all hard boiled - not runny like you would expect with an eggs benedict! On complaining to the waiter and asking for new eggs we could hear swearing from the kitchen and before the food returned my friend found a thick black hair in her salad. We decided at this point that all appetites were lost and decided to go else where. We were so disappointed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Cardiff
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Only popped in for breakfast as we wanted to try somewhere new in Penarth, but we will not be returning. We were totally ignored for an age. When ordering we wanted to make a slight change to the order to be informed they could not do it. It was one change which if requested we would have paid extra. So we just went somewhere else. At no stage did the staff attempt to explain why, our assumption was due to food being microwaved.. Its a shame as location is good but staff can ruin a place and we will not be returning.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Penarth hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

I want to give the place a good review. But I can't.
It wasn't particularly busy and yet after sitting with the previous seat occupiers dirty dishes for ten minutes I cleared them myself.
It was twenty minutes before I could tempt someone over to take our order and it took an absurd amount of time to bring over two coffees and two waters. In the end, I had to get the hot milk for our white coffees myself, I couldn't wait anymore.
My friend had the Sunday Roast and she was complementary about the vegatables however, the meat was a large percentage of fat and so it was a chore to eat. I had the fish and chips, which was lovely once I'd used the napkin to wipe up all the greece, but I had to go and ask for the tartare sauce.
Overall, we didn't leave satisfied with the experience. At no time did anyone say "Is everything ok?" or "Is there anything I can get you", the policy seems to be to provide the bare minimum...slowly. A little more needs to be done by them in training their staff to be effective customer service providers. It almost felt like there was an air of resentment with some of the younger workers that they had to be in on Sunday. In addition, the restaurant was not particulary hygienic. You can see efforts have been made to decorate the place, but time isn't spent maintaining.
If you have an endless amount of time (we were there two hours and I chased, a lot) or you don't mind chasing every part of your meal down then the experience was satisfactory. Don't go there if you are expecting high quality customer service, at least, not at the moment.
Lovely view though.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Penarth, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

My friends and I have dined here on numerous occasions. Six of us dined to celebrate two of our birthdays. I love the atmosphere in the restaurant, it's warm and friendly, the staff are very attentive but not too in you face. The food is deliciously tasty, steaks cooked to our desired preferences, piping hot and jsut enough to fill you up. I will definitely dine here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

From my experience, I think some of the reviews here are really harsh. I'm glad I wasn't put off by them when I decided to try it. The staff were really friendly & genuine & we had great service. Nice cosy, buzzy atmosphere & lovely location. The food was good, they lost a couple of points as they used sachets for their sauces....never a good idea! Would definitely go back

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

My mother, sister were the first people to enter the restaurant and ordered our food from a waitress and after finishing our starters we found these still on our table for another hour. During this time the waitress and waiter continued to serve other customers and ignored us. It took my mother to get up from the table and ask where our main course was for a waiter to finally remove the starter dishes. No apology and another couple served their mains we had enough and got up from our chairs and made our way out of the building. 5mins down the road the manager ran towards us shouting. We explained how poor the service was and we were then told in no uncertain terms how busy he was and that we should take a step in his shoes.

I would strongly urge anyone to avoid this place and go to The Fig Tree where the customer service and food are far far more superior.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Cardiff
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I've never written a review before but this place is so bad I feel I have to warn you.

It is very expensive but even if it was just a pound a meal it would be too much.

The food is just so bad. The curry is straight from a catering pack. The sausages are devoid of meat. The presentation is appalling and the service miserably poor.

A cone of chips is gourmet in comparison.

Utter rubbish. A waste of time and money.

Don't eat there. You'll regret it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Pier & The Pebble Hotel? Share your experiences!