“Pretty & Friendly place but doesn't match the hype” 3 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Portmeirion to your Saves list
Hotel Portmeirion
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Minffordd, Penrhyndeudraeth LL48 6ER, Wales   |
London, United Kingdom
“Pretty & Friendly place but doesn't match the hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights for my friends 50th (she had been a few times before). We had 2 nights in the very cute "Dolphin" house before moving to the main hotel for one night.

It was very picturesque & staff were all friendly but, there wasn't a great deal to do. Why were there no cute coffee shops & home made cakes, nowhere nice to have a glass of wine. So much could have been done here but it seems they've given up.

For the birthday night we asked for a nice table in the hotel & they'd forgotten even though we'd emailed in advance. The hotel itself needs some love, the furniture was tatty, no atmosphere in the bar etc.

Overall we had fun but were disappointed over what we paid. No need to return for sure.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dylan H, General Manager at Hotel Portmeirion, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your stay, I am very disappointed that your experience did not live up to your expectation of a stay at Portmeirion.

Portmeirion has a Caffi Sgwar, which is a small coffee shop that serve coffee and cakes, Caffi Glas, which is an Italian Pizzeria, that serve some light Italian dishes, and serve wine and Prosecco, as well as Angel Ices, which is our own Gelateria in the Village, serving ice cream as well as wines and Prosecco. I am therefore not sure why you felt that there was no coffee shops in the village, or anywhere to have a glass of wine.

I can assure you that we have not given and are always looking to improve on the offering available. We are in process of planning a refurbishment of the Town Hall self service restaurant this winter, as well as investing in some accommodation. I am certain that should you return you will see these improvements taking shape, and have a more enhanced experience in the Village.

I very much hope we do have the opportunity to welcome you back

Regards

Dylan Hughes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed two nights here. The room we had, 'Salutation 1' was clean, well furnished and with complimentary sherry (not my favourite!). The bathroom was spacious and also very clean. there was a good view over the rest of the village.There is no Aircon and I think that this room could become uncomfortably hot in high summer, but it was OK for us, as long as all the windows were left open.We had booked Bed and Breakfast but ate in the hotel Restaurant both nights. Breakfast was excellent with a good selection of cooked dishes available. At dinner we had really amazing food. We ate off the fixed price menu (GBP30 for two courses), the choice was not huge but it was different on both nights. The first night there was a large group of train enthusiasts staying and the service was very very slow, as if they could not really cope with that number.There was no such problem the next night and we enjoyed one of the best meals I have ever eaten. Portmeirion is a spectacular and very special location and sitting on the Terrace watching the constantly changing patterns of light and water on the Dwyryd estuary, time passes very easily. Of course having the village more or less to yourself when the day visitors have left is another plus. The mainly young staff in the restaurant were efficient, friendly with none of the irritating servility, sometimes found in expensive hotels. All the staff we encountered were as friendly and efficient from the man who greeted us at the gate to the cleaners. Expensive it certainly is but we would go back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit to Portmeirion, and are planning to return again. It's unfortunate that you faced long waits on the night when we also hosted a group in the restaurant. This should not have affected your wait, and this has been discussed with the team, to better improve the efficiency when we have groups.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Portmeirion soon

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

This is one of my favourite places to stay in the world.
The village is unique. I have lost count of the number of times I had stayed here it is well over 10. I have stayed here with both friends and family.
The rooms in the hotel are beautiful but the real magic of portmeirion has to be the village rooms I think that we have probably stayed in most of the buildings now. Our favourites are, watch house, which only sleeps 2 and Government house, I think sleeps about eight or nine I can't remember.
We have never stayed in Telford's Tower which I believe sleeps three and looks amazing.
The village is only open to the public during the day and can be very crowded with tourists.
We go out during the day and come back in the evening when all the daytrippers have gone.
The village in the evening is truly magical.
I do however have one massive negative point.
One of our favourite things about staying at Portmeirion over the last two decades has been eating in the wonderful restaurant. the food is exquisite , and the restaurant was one of the most beautiful I have ever eaten in. However we have not been back for a couple of years and on my last visit I was horrified to find that the beautiful old restaurant and bar had been ripped out and replaced with something that I can only describe as being similar to something you would expect to find at a Travel Lodge. What on earth were they thinking? The old bar was filled with beautiful pieces of antique furniture from around the world. The atmosphere was unlike anywhere else I have ever been. I have to say that when I saw what they have done I had a lump in my throat. I dread to think what day have planned next. Perhaps they will pull down the rest of the village and replace it with Center Parcs style bungalows?
Overall this is still one of my favourite places to stay in the British Isles and I will continue to return there again and again. I just won't to be eating in the restaurant any more. Sadly!

Room Tip: All the village rooms both serviced and self catering are exquisite in my experience. The buildings...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
RobinPM, Director at Hotel Portmeirion, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Thank you for your very kind words about Portmeirion. I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent visit. Thank you also for your comments on the Hotel. I am sorry that you do not like the hotel bar and restaurant. These areas were redesigned 9 years ago by Sir Terrence Conran who stayed here for several days to get a good feel for the place. The furniture, panelling and bar were all made to measure by Benchmark Furniture. The panelling is of polished French walnut, the bar top is pewter and the soft furnishing is upholstered leather. The style is very much in keeping with Sir Clough's dining room design of the 1930s. The hotel burnt down in 1981 and from its reopening in 1988 up to 2005 the bar had short legged Rajasthani chairs and low Rajasthani tables, the walls were hung with paintings of elephants. The dining room had bamboo style open backed chairs and Kashmiri crewel work used as under cloths on the tables. It was a all rather heavy and stuffy and had little relevance to the true Portmeirion style and no relevance to the location or setting. We feel the refurbished bar and dining room introduced a bit of 1930s art deco style back into the hotel. In 2007 we reinstated Sir Clough's curvilinear entrance porch that had been destroyed in the fire of 1981 but not put back, this has greatly improved the entrance area and improved the appearance of the building, restoring its original symmetry. The Mirror Room, entrance hall, library and library bay were restored from old photographs to recreat the style created for these rooms by Sir Clough and his daughter Susan Williams-Ellis. However decor is always a very subjective issue and I am sorry you do not like what has been created here, but we respect your opinion and are grateful for your comments and for your continued enthusiastic support for the village. I hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed for two nights in the hotel this weekend and had a fantastic time. The village and surroundings are extremely picturesque resulting in the need to delete photos on our iphones before we could continue taking more. The peacefulness of the village makes for a beautiful and tranquil stay with amazing views during the coastal and woodland walks.

Our room was lovely and light however the carpet was a little worn and could do with replacing. The bed wasn't overly comfortable and the pillows and headboard did not combine well in attempts for a decent nights sleep. We had an issue with the plug not fitting the bath meaning we were unable to have a relaxing bath in our room. When we did raise the issue with reception they weren't the quickest or most effective in assisting with this. The inconvenience of having to dart across the corridors in our dressing gowns to use the bath in an empty room wasn't great, neither was seeing the room to be a better spec than ours for exactly the same price. When we raised this with reception when checking out however the receptionist and duty manager could not be faulted so this certainly won't put us off returning - which we 100% will.

The food in the restaurant was gorgeous and the waiting staff could not be faulted. Breakfast couldn't be faulted and the evening meal whilst pricey is definitely worth the money. Would recommend the hotel and a stay in Portmeirion to all as you will not regret it. Look forward to our next visit

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dylan H, General Manager at Hotel Portmeirion, responded to this review, October 5, 2014
Thank you for your comments following your stay at Portmeirion, and I am pleased that your experience was a positive. I was disappointed to learn of the difficulties you faced regarding the bath, and can assure you that the plug has since been replaced.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Portmeirion in the close future

Glossop, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Stunning place to stay, this is our second visit , we got married there 2 years ago. Its very clean, the service is excellent, staff are friendly, food is fantastic. The experience of staying in the Village, Hotel and Castle are all wonderful... its like being transported to another place..
Wonderful weekend again ... thank you Portmeirion and everybody that works there

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely... we like the Castle and Dolphin
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive comments following your stay at Portmeirion earlier this year. We look forward to welcoming you back again

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Greeted by a welcoming lady and lovely smile at the gate, who checked our reservation and gave instructions to drive through the village to the hotel.

We thought we had luckily got the last car space but this was in fact, reserved for us! Lovely touch.

After booking in and double checking our dinner reservation time for both nights, we were shown around the hotel to get our bearings, and then onto our room. Beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean. Our guy showed us around the room and our complimentary wine and sherry! Again, a real wonderful welcoming gift.

After the guy had left, and desperate after a long drive, I went to spend a penny - and lifted the toilet seat to find a horror left by the previous occupants! Awful. I could have just flushed it away but as my husband quite rightly, said, no- get them to come and re-clean it!
I telephoned reception and one of the lovely ladies from reception immediately came, and another gentleman , apologised and fully cleaned it. They they can back with a complimentary Easter egg, which did smooth the incident a little.

Dinner was amazing. Harpist was wonderful. Greeted and seated in the most beautiful restaurant. It was in-line with some of the top restaurants in London. Amazing food, beautifully served and fantastic presentation. I have never had plaice and mackerel like it. Service was perfect. I asked for some gluten-free bread and within 5 minutes the chef's special came made as gluten free. This type of attention to detail is second to none!

The house was so welcoming with plenty of log fires to sit beside and relax after dinner.

We had a two night stay which was simply wonderful- and funnily stayed in room no.6!
Everyone so so nice and the service throughout the hotel and Portmeirion was just perfect. We felt very spoilt.

We had waited nearly twenty years to visit this very special place and I am so pleased we did! and stayed in this fabulous hotel.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback following your stay with us earlier in the year. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay, and all your comments have been shared with the teams. Please accept my apologies for the cleanliness of the toilet, however I am glad that this was rectified for you straight away.

I very much look forward to welcoming you to Portmeirion again

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Mermaids is a double twin cottage in the centre of Portmeirion. It is very spacious and has two bathrooms, one up and one down. It has been several years since our last visit and this time we brought the kids. The village still has all the charm and quirkiness we love so much but seemed less busy than on previous stays. We did plenty of walking and enjoyed ourselves even when it rained. All the staff were very helpful and made us feel welcome as usual. We had a couple of issues with the fabric of the building but when reported they were attended to within a very short period of time. The only reason I am not giving 5 out of 5 is the lack of clothes washing facilities and the lump on my head I got when one of the bedroom window fell out when I was opening it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback following your stay in Mermaid cottage earlier this year. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay, and please accept my apologies for the problems encountered with the window.

I can advise that we are closing the Mermaid cottage after the October half term holidays, and are giving the cottage a full refurbishment, in line with our ongoing improvements schedule.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Portmeirion soon

Dylan Hughes

Been to Hotel Portmeirion? Share your experiences!