“Pretty village - Good hotel.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Portmeirion

You added Hotel Portmeirion to your Saves list
Hotel Portmeirion
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Minffordd, Penrhyndeudraeth, Porthmadog LL48 6ER, Wales   |
“Pretty village - Good hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed in self catering aparment in the village grounds (upper Arches). 1 x dbl room 1 x single, small dining room, living room and fitted kitchen (including dishwasher microwave cooker fridge etc). In the interest of an honest review the shower was pretty poor. The rooms were clean. It wasn't the Ritz but good value for money.
Would have preferred to stay in the main hotel itself which is lovely (beautiful decor and a great log fire) but this was fully booked - so recommend booking early. Dinner was a fine dining experience, beautifully presented and well priced (approximately £25 - £40 pp. for a three course meal. You can also eat at the Castle a short walk away (free shuttlebus service).

The staff are all fantastic. Very professional yet friendly. Would definitely recommend this hotel. The location is beautiful if a little remote. Great relaxing weekend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Henley in Arden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed at Port Meirion Hotel and our friends were lucky enough to stay at Castle Deudrath.
The main rooms downstairs in our hotel wee a treat especialy the log fire which always seemed to be lit.Our room was dated and the bathroom fittings needed replacing as the shower rail was rusting.
The first night our friends came and joined us in a meal.There is a mini bus between the Castle and hotel which can be requested by the guests for no fee.The service was exceptionally slow but the food was good when it arrived.
Our friends room in the Castle was superb but even they had problems with the jacuzzi bath when dirt came out of the jets.
On our second night we had a meal at the Castle which was good and the service was excellent.
Thestaff at the hotel were really helpful .
Would like to re-visit but probably stay at the Castle until they refurbish.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Stockport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Firstly I should say that this review is totally biased...I love Portmeirion and we have visited several times over the years,most notably our Honeymoon and more recently for my 50th Birthday.I also attended one of the very early Prisoner Conventions organised by the Six-of-One Prisoner Appreciation Society where I had the pleasure of driving about the place in a Mini-Moke car that was used in the programme...Even if you are not fanatical about the series it is a totally magical place..The Hotel seem to have embraced(cashed in)on the popularity of the series with lots of memorabilia on sale(£140 for a black blazer with white piping anyone?) and why not..It is essentially a sort of holiday resort but of the type where the visitors prefer to read books and go on walks so don't expect Pontins..The restaurant is very exclusive(posh as our kids noted)it is very expensive to eat there and we personally found the food pretty disappointing with a strange choice of ingredients and also not a great deal of variety.If you are offered the complementary starter consisting of what looks like a Profiterole containing Goats Cheese and Beetroot accompanied by a Curried Mussel Cappucino... beware,don't dive into the Cappucino,it was the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted and the taste still lingers in my memory now and makes me shudder.If you understand Gourmet food and appreciate it don't be put off but in the past when we visited there seemed to be simpler,wholesome stuff on the menu..I had Pigeon to start which was tasty,and then a Leek and Onion tart with Sweet Potato and what looked like a poached egg on top.The food was served in the centre of an enormous plate but would have comfortably fit onto a side plate(why do they do that?)It was presented in a curious fashion and looked a bit like the village itself with the sweet potato piled in a tiny stack and carrots pointing skywards like the bell tower and the poached egg representing the Dome.I don't know if that is intentional or the product of my overactive imagination..The sweet menu was disappointing too,with odd ingredients,my wife had Lemon Meringue which was served with Basil Ice-cream (tasted like Spaghetti Bolognese as you would imagine)We were staying on a deal through KGB which included our food otherwise we would not have bothered with the restaurant as it is well overpriced and fussy.We were upgraded on arrival at the Hotel and put in a 3 bedroomed cottage (Angel).This was fantastic and for me a dream come true.It is a West Country style cottage right in the heart of the village.Its a quirky little place with a great little port-hole style convex window in one of the bedrooms (see photo)..it is lovely and cosy inside and highly recommended if there are 6 of you staying.The man welcoming you at the gate is the friendliest person you could ever hope to meet and he shook our hands warmly on arrival.We went on the beach and in the woods for walks shown in a leaflet he provided us with and had a nice break during our 2 night stay.The breakfasts were very good but overpriced at £17-50p but these were included for us in the deal..For a taster of Portmeirion the KGB deal is highly recommended and the Hotel also offer deals so definitely check those out too..Highly recommended for a special occasion if you can afford it.It costs £10 entrance for adults just to walk around the grounds for the day if you go on a visit so our deal of £169 for 2 nights stay with breakfast and one evening meal saves you a bundle.We took 2 of our kids along for a supplement of £15 per night per child which was reasonable(no food included)..I would say its not a great place to take kids as there is not much to occupy them especially in winter but free WI-FI is included in the rooms...to summarise well worth a stay but avoid the evening meal (go into nearby Porthmadog in the evening) have the breakfast if you want to try the restaurant out (the view out to the estuary is wonderful)If you are a Prisoner fan, just walking around the grounds will send you into instant rapture.Helpfully there is a Portmeirion channel on the TV in the rooms (channel 800)showing episodes of the Prisoner (I made the kids watch 5 of them)sadly you have no control of the running order so its the luck of the draw which episode is showing but it certainly added to our enjoyment during our stay...Be Seeing You...

Room Tip: Angel is wonderful,The Hotel itself is good as I remember from our Honeymoon) I cannot really commen...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Portmeirion is a unique place and there is no better way to experience it than to stay in the hotel. We booked a kgb January deal which was excellent value - they do the deal each January - and took an upgrade on the room which I would also recommend. The views from the room overlooking the estuary were stunning. The deal included Welsh breakfast and dinner on the first night. The food in the restauant was excellent and could not be faulted. There was a lovely log fire in the hall which was so welcoming after a winter's walk in the hills and was the perfect spot for relaxing. The staff in thre hotel could not have been friendlier and more helpful. Portmeirion is an inspirational place and I would thoroughly recommend it to anybody seeking a relaxing break,

Room Tip: I would recommend staying in the hotel rather than in one of the properties and an upgrade is well w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We got the January Blues deal and weren't expecting too much from it to be honest...what with it being a cheap deal 'n all. However, we were surprised and delighted with the service, hospitality and food.

Glad we missed out on the £119 deal and ended up with the £139 deal to be honest - it is a much nicer experience to wake up looking out into the village from your own suite. Absolutely magical!

Food can only be described as haute cuisine; I would have complained at portion sizes had food not been up to that standard, but it was. I wished I could have ordered all puddings on menu as they looked divine and the team of chefs are obviously very creative.

The only concern was that the service was slightly stuffy which made us feel slightly awkward during during service. I know the staff are very busy and run a tight ship, but one of the waiters...an old(er) chap needs to smile a bit more. I'd be smiling all day if I worked there!

All in all a wonderful, value for money experience - well done to all.

A mention should go out to the front of house staff - courteous, friendly and make you feel special and relaxed. Blonde lady was very friendly :-) The porter service is lovely too!

Just go.

St Helens, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I can't say enough nice things about Portmeirion. It's a place I loved as a child (I know, 14 years old and enjoyed unusual architecture - no wonder I couldn't get a girlfriend) and it's a place I have visited many times in the years since, although I haven't had the chance to stay until now.
We have just returned (me and my girlfriend - it had to happen eventually) from a truly memorable weekend in The Village. We stayed in Cliff House no.2, a small apartment close to the main entrance and spent two nights in a room that was an absolute treat.
It was warm, comfortable, stylish, and fitted with little touches like complimentary sherry and a range of teas (see my pictures). The bed was massive and so were the towels, and it was a delight to spend time there. This is a room that you want to stay in, not get out at the first possible opportunity and the view across the estuary was enchanting.
The one thing that I loved the most though, was being able to drive through the main entrance (scattering day visitors as we went) and park right outside the apartment. I always wondered as a child what was behind the doors - now I know, and it felt good to be one of the privileged few.
The weather was foul, but that gave us the excuse to spend time in our room.
And now, I'm sat at home (sigh)
My food review for the Hotel is in the restaurant section (if you are one of the many, many people who hang on my every word) but a one-word preview is "spectacular".

Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Arrived at Portmeirion on Wednesday with 3 other couples, we stayed in Bridge house 4 what a fantastic view of the estuary, our friends stayed in equally nice accommodation with various views.We spent sometime sitting in front of a wonderful open fire only dragging ourselves away to get changed for dinner, which was an experience lovely food when we got our correct meals, waiters seemed to have a problem getting orders rights, After a nice breakfast we had a nice walk along the coastal path before going further afield and found a wonderful pub called Brondanw Arms for lunch it was so good we drove the 5 miles back for dinner that evening well recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Portmeirion? Share your experiences!