“Response to a problem” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge at Mount Rushmore

You added The Lodge at Mount Rushmore to your Saves list
The Lodge at Mount Rushmore
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   24075 Highway 16A, Keystone, SD 57751 (Formerly Best Western Plus Four Presidents Lodge)   |
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Keystone
Easton, Massachusetts, United States
“Response to a problem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Whenever I travel I have learned to expect the unexpected. Things happen and we have to be ready to respond. Therefore, it is important to me how the hotel responded to the unexpected. This hotel did a fine job. On one of the days we were there the well supplying water to the hotel failed to operate correctly and we were without water. Starting early in the AM, they contacted the repair service and had a temporary fix and water by 9:00 AM, I believe that the entire problem was fixed by 11:00 AM. Although I considered the disruption not to be major and beyond their control, they made the choice without our asking to issue a credit to everyone in our group for 50% of the room rate for that day. They also did a fine job of keeping everyone informed of the problem and the status of the fix. I found this to be a job well done. I do wish that the airlines would do the same.

We enjoyed the rest of our stay and everything was exactly as they advertised.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Scottsbluff, Nebraska, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The hotel is located near Keystone and Hill City, and was a great location to visit many sites in the Black Hills. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was well-appointed, comfortable and very clean. We had a great night's sleep. The full hot breakfast was a great way to start our day. Overall, this was a very good value.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sidney, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This hotel is located just outside of Keystone. It has a nice lobby, with timber posts and an open stair case to the second floor. We stayed one night. Our room was comfortablle and quiet, with our view facing the side of a hill. When we first arrived the lone elevator was malfunctioning, but this was soon fixed by the staff. Break fast in the morning had both cold an hot offerings.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Very close to Mt. Rushmore and the town of Keystone. The rooms were clean and neat and the staff was very helpful. We enjoyed our stay. Good value for the area. The recommendation of the Powder House Restaurant nearby was wonderful!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Loved the location "out of the way" from Keystone busyness. Comfortable room. Staff was wonderful, knowledgeable and friendly. Complimentary breakfast was really good. Rushmore Cave and Bear Country were great outings. Powder House Lodge restaurant was excellent! Big Time Pizza had the best pizza! Couldn't ask for a better stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

This hotel is the least customer friendly hotel we have been to in a long time. First of all, I picked this because their site says 'closest' hotel to Rushmore. That is a blatant lie. Of the hotels in Keystone, this is the furthest away from the entrance. In fact, it isn't even IN the town. You drive through the entire town, out the other side, and down the road a ways. Second, I made a mistake. I booked the wrong date. When I walked in the person at the front desk, tall man with two dogs, was not welcoming at all. He couldn't find my reservation and was very brusk about it. Not very helpful. He pointed me to a computer to use to check my reservation. The computer was sluggish and almost worthless. My reservation was for the previous night. I was coldly informed that I had been charged $179 and the rest of my reservation had been cancelled. He was booked and basically too bad. No assistance. It is up to each hotel as to whether they charge for a missed night. He could have helped especially since the town was booked! Nothing. No compassion. He made a couple calls but was not really trying to get the other hotels to find something. We finally found something on our own at another Best Western in Hill City. It's a much nicer hotel, much nicer people, and VERY CUSTOMER SERVICE ORIENTED. A very big change. I would steer clear of this Best Western in Keystone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
brut, Owner at The Lodge at Mount Rushmore, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Prior to receiving this review my GM gave me heads-up that that he had a very difficult guest. I it is human nature to want to vent a bit, so let me answer this guest's review:

This guest had a multi-night reservation, with a guaranteed rate and cancellation period. This was over the Labor Day weekend, a period when we were sold out. The Guest did not show-up the first night, so her reservation was cancelled for the second night and she was charged for the one night's stay. This was in accordance with the terms of her reservation. If she had just called us we could have gladly cancelled the reservation and re-sold her room. My GM tried to find her a room in the area, but as you may infer from her email, she was rather difficult.

Here are some tips to that you may find helpful:

A. Always check the dates on your reservation email. If there is anything incorrect, address if right away.

B. If you get delayed, always call the hotel. Almost always they will work with you. Hotels want you to have a good experience and will usually do all they can to accommodate you.

Happy Travels!
novi, michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

First of all we picked this property because of it being dog-friendly (thank you BringFido.com). We loved it. Very nice place. Breakfast was good. Pool was excellent (really warm, kids loved it and didn't complain). They really went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Good job. Keep it up!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Lodge at Mount Rushmore? Share your experiences!