“Loved this little hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Mt. Rushmore's President View Resort
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   106 Highway 16a, Keystone, SD 57702   |
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Keystone
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Loved this little hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2008

After the reviews I was a bit apprehensive! The tour director warned us the rooms were small, she obviously hasn't been to any European cities the room was massive compared to some I have had!

There is a small lobby/entrance with a couple of chairs and the communal coffee machines, there are cups by the machine so pick a cup up as you pass, easier than having to start the room coffee machine up. There is a large jug in the room to use for more coffee.

The swimming pool if off the lobby to the right, didn't have time to use it unfortunately, look good though.

The rooms had 2 double beds, a TV, and hanging space. Two large mirrors in the room made it seem larger.

The room was clean, as was the bathroom, soap only as per the other reviews.

The hotel is in a good location, as long as you can walk up the hotel ramp/drive, it is quite steep, but once at the bottom you are in the town.

The hotel does not have a bar or restaurant so you will have to go down to the town for food, again as already mentioned the Railhead restaurant is best avoided, Rubys got the thumbs up though.

Overall I would stay here again.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

We were clearly waiting in line to check-in and the next agent was available and called to the gentleman who had just walked in the door. We told him that we were next, but all he said was "I'm almost finished with him." No apology or anything. We are Asian and the gentleman was white. Also, the 10am checkout time was a bit early since there is no breakfast on site.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Schaumburg, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

We stayed at the the Presidents View hotel July 21-25th, we loved our stay! We had 2 3rd floor suites, rooms 303 & 304, they overlooked the little town of Keystone from the balcony which we loved, and we could also see Mt Rushmore too. The rooms were great, we had 2 full size beds, 1 pull out sofa, 2 TV's, fireplace, microwave, mini fridge & an in-wall fireplace, lots of room for the 4 of us, and the other room we had held 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) no problem. We brought food & beverages with us, along with microwave popcorn! We ordered from the Railhead restaurant every nite(they have great pizza!)the order menu is by the room phone, and the 3rd nite was half off, yes they delivered to our room! We also had buffet breakfast there every morning, it was so good! Also ate at there for dinner once it was ok. The Railhead is right at the bottom of the hill from the hotel, short walk. Our rooms were right at the top of the stairs from the lobby where they had free coffee, and we filled our in room coffee carafes daily. There is a pool, my kids swam every chance they got (indoor) The 3rd floor suites has its own parking lot as well, easy for unloading your vehicle. We brought toiletries and everything we needed so it didnt matter to us that it wasnt in the room. There is an ironing board in the closet. Also they have WIRELESS INTERNET IN THE ROOM, FREE, brought my laptop, and it worked great, we all used it.
TOURS: we did the alpine slide, which is right there in town, it was so fun, a must.
Mt Rushmore, which is what we went for, so awesome!
Crazy Horse memorial, also recommend that
Custer state park, only saw 1 buffalo :( , but alot of donkeys & deer
Needles Highway, very long and winding...
1880's Train ride, right across from hotel, liked that
Also stopped at Wall Drug, Wall SD, also a must see
Reptile Gardens, was fun for the kids
Took a drive to Sturgis, 40 miles north
Mammoth Park, it a 40 minute drive south, its a real mammoth dig site that is still being excavated, very very cool
Wanted to go to the Wild Horse Sanctuary, 11 miles south of the mammoth site, but ran out of time :(
**right out side the Railhead restaurant is the "chamber of commerce booth, where you can get a map (a must) and the person working there will tell you all the things you should do during your stay...**
I would totally go back and stay at the Presidents View Resort in a heartbeat, no hesitations, is it 5 star property, no, but we thought it was the best place by far, and we saw alot of others while we were there, no doubt the best choice!
Oh, and its 1 mile from Mt Rushmore
Check out my photos :)

• Liked — location & view
  • Disliked — nothing I can think of at the moment
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Red Wing
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

After a very long day of driving, my travel companion was paging through the South Dakota guide book and noticed the advertisement for the "Presidents" Hotels in Keystone. What really caught our eye was the "pillow top mattresses". When we arrived in Keystone on July 15, 2008 at about 4:00 p.m., we stopped at the first place we saw, the Presidents View Resort. We asked at the registration desk if there were any vacancies and booked for two nights. How disappointing, to open the door to our room and see the cramped quarters(2 full size beds)! After finding a spot to set our luggage down, I pulled the covers up at the foot of the bed, to see the "pillow top". There was no pillow top on our mattresses, so I took the guide book down to the registration desk and spoke with the person that checked us in. I pointed to the advertisement and said that we must have been put in a room that did not have pillow top mattress. She said that all the rooms had pillow top mattresses. I said that ours didn't, so she came down to the room with me to prove to me that there was. She pulled back the covers and mattress cover and said "this is a pillow top". I said "well, I don't know how things are done in South Dakota, but where I'm from, a pillow top mattress has, at the very least, an additional 3" thick piece that is sewn onto the top of the mattress". I did mention that this was false advertising, but was not offered any kind of compensation. Also, I was charged 50 cents apiece to make 5 toll free calls. The soda vending machines were not working either. My friend lost $2 in the soda vending machine and had to ask at least twice to be reimbursed! The young lady that checked us out on Thursday morning obviously needs more training. She did not understand when we said we each were going to pay half the total bill. She had trouble using the computer and credit card machine. Although the motel appeared to be clean, the price for two nights, plus 5 toll free calls, was $304.80!! Too much, for what we got!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — False advertisment, no pillow top mattresses
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
ogden, ut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

I was very disappointed … when I first walked into the room my jaw fell … the picture that is painted in the ad [http://www.presidentsviewresort.com/ ] isn’t the room I saw … they didn’t lie in the ad … it is just very much exaggerated … in the ad the picture of the – Rooms with Double Queen Beds – that is the "luxury suites" … under the TV is the fake fireplace … it is not a gas fireplace … We booked online for the $299.95 and $209.95 "luxury suites" with a view of Mt. Rushmore … and the "suites" were actually just regular motel rooms ... our view wasn’t that great … we had an almost straight shot to the faces ... but I would like to know what room was able to get a picture of the faces in the ad … that is some zoom … when I first booked the "luxury suite" it was for 5 adults and one child … I was assured the room was big enough to hold all of us … but after we thought about it we decided to get another room ... I really don’t see how we would of ever fit ... as it was there was 3 adults and one child … the balcony had one plastic chair and a horrible plastic tree … and that’s about all that could really fit … we were there on the 3rd of July to see the fireworks … and actually it is really too far away to really enjoy … and while there I made several comments about not even a coffee-maker in the “kitchen” … or the little bottles of shampoo … conditioner … and body wash … with airline regulations I never bring them anymore because the hotels ALWAYS supply them … and with this being a "luxury suite" who would have thought … I guess we should have been happy there was a bar of soap ... the ad says small living room area … it is more like a closet with a loveseat and TV … and this room should have cost at least half as much, there was no service at all … and the place has no right calling itself a resort … we went to breakfast across the street to their Meal Deal … Meal Discounts at Our 3 Restaurants … and was told the buffet was the best deal … on the buffet the juice was empty so we asked for orange juice … we were charged $3.00 a piece for the juice … because it was brought to us in larger glasses … Keystone is a cute little tourist town ... it was fun walking through all the stores ... the food is nothing to write home about ...

• Disliked — very expensive for what you got ...
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
canberra australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

This hotel advertises very widely in the region, claiming to offer a low rate (around $40 per night). While we realised that this was probably a "come-on" and expected to pay more, we felt that the $90 best rate offered was too much.

But mainly it was the manner in which we were treated that was offensive. We arrived early afternoon and were made to wait at the front desk for around 15 minutes before we were given any attention. We were then informed that the room would be ready in two more hours.

On returning to the hotel some three hours later we were again made to wait while the front office staff apparently dealt with paper work. They then told us, rudely, that the room would be available in another hour. No reason given and definitely no apology.

They then lost the paper work referring to our room.

Finally got in to the room to find it small (it was actually a room for disabled).

We were booked for two nights. Returning to the hotel on the second afternoon, we were locked out. More extended waiting at the front desk. Clerk finally heard our situation. She grabbed the keycards, tapped them through her machine, tossed them down on the desk and made no apology, or even courteous comment, at all.

Incidentally, the whole town was a let down for us. Restaurants were highly priced for awful buffet style food. Incidentally, they are mainly marketed through the same leaflets as the hotel. Largely just a town of gift shops.

Loved Mt Rushmore, though! Even the town and hotel couldn't spoil that.

• Liked — Close to Mt Rushmore
  • Disliked — Staff attitude and rudeness
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

I can't even express our disappointment in our room and the hotel in general!! The standard room was not large enough for a family of 4. We only stayed because it was only for one night. The bathroom was tiny too. They charged us WAY too much for such small accomodations. The hotel staff was less than friendly and helpful. It was obvious they just wanted your money, and as much of it as they could squeeze from you. Checkout time was 10:00 a.m.!! I've never stayed in a hotel that checkout was earlier than 11:00 a.m. And, there was no continental breakfast. Only complimentary coffee. The view was nice. We didn't get to see Mt. Rushmore from our room, but we were able to see the town of Keystone very well, and some of the surrounding mountains too. All in all, we'll NEVER stay at this hotel again!! We still have an issue to discuss with this hotel, and we aren't expecting them to be helpful at all!! When you're staying the night in this area, it really would be a good idea to even stay in Rapid City and commute to the sights. That's what we'll do next time we visit!!

• Liked — Small and misleading
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING!!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mt. Rushmore's President View Resort? Share your experiences!