“Avoid this place like the plague” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Battle Creek Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Keystone
Battle Creek Lodge
You added Battle Creek Lodge to your Saves list
404 Reed Street, Keystone, SD 57751   |
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Keystone
dallas
“Avoid this place like the plague”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2007

While staying in The Hills, I came across the Battle Creek Lodge and thought that I'd give it a try. Boy what a mistake. I should have known that something was wrong when the person who booked me in was intoxicated at 1:30 in the afternoon. They don't take credit cards and perfer cash only. There was junk all over the place inside and out as if there was remodeling going on but there wasn't. I wasn't impressed with the looks of the place. I had decided then and there that I wasn't going to eat in the place as the lodge didn't come across as being a clean place.
The "best room in the house" wasn't. Or if it was then I'd hate to see what the other rooms looked like. When I opened the door to the room I got a smell of old, musty. like the room is not cleaned or at the very least it's not vented very often. The rooms are small. Much smaller than a regular hotel room. It was dark and if one opens the front windows you get the sound of traffic going by as the lodge is off of the highway about 30 feet. The hot tub smelled SO bad of chemicals that no person in my party wanted to get into it. We had gone out and enjoyed the sights in the Hills and returned to try the wine tasting and cheese. That was the first time in my life that I've had wine out of a bag. It was so bad that I couldn't drink it and refused any thing else. Then there was an anoying dog of the intoxicated owner that was barking ALL the time. We stayed there that night and left without looking back as soon as possible the next morning. I would have enjoyed sleeping in a tent on the ground more than staying at the Battle Creek Lodge.
When looking to write a review of the place I had come across a positive review of the Lodge. I suspect that it was written by the owner of the lodge to get free advertising as nothing that I saw was even close to what the review I had read.
I do not recommend that anyone stay at this place.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2006

After reading many reviews for various properties in Keystone and reading the review from Sept '05 I decided to give this property a try. I booked 3 nights during the 2nd week of June. My first clue should have been the guy taking the reservation did not even know if he had availabilty or the cost. Had to call me back.
I arrived at the property and was dismayed to see stuff/junk like old furniture, luggage, skis just piled up outside in plain view. Just very trashy looking. Well I went into the "Lobby" which doubles as the kitchen for the guests and more of the same. I would have been afraid to eat out of that kitchen given its current condition.

I was given the "best room" in the place and when we opened the door hit by a whiff of "old" for lack of a better word. The room was dark and about half the size of a normal hotel room. The spa was a nice pea green color. Parking is basically parking on the shoulder of the street that runs in front of the place. You are one inattentive driver away from totaling your car.
They did not take credit cards which I was not informed of when I made the reservation. Fortunately for me since I left that place and went and found a better place to stay. Did not stay any nights there because it was so bad.
I just dont have anything good to say, it was beyond gross/trashy looking, Avoid at all cost.

• Stayed June 2006
Milwaukee, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2005

While visiting the Black Hills of South Dakota, there are many fine places to stay, and while exhaustively searching various websites, I sent e-mails inquiring about accommodations.
I received a very friendly and informative e-mail back from Jim Johnson, owner & operator of the Battle Creek Lodge in Keystone (gateway to Mount Rushmore).
I was so impressed with Jim's willingness to supply all facets of information, that I eventually booked 3 nights there in September, 2005 (off-season).
With only about 20 rooms, modest but very comfortable, Jim will personally cook a complimentary breakfast, taking the time to introduce his guests to each other, all in the comfort of his own parlor/living room/dining room. After my first night, there was a pot of coffee outside my room the following 2 mornings, not wanting to disturb my sleep. In the early evening, Jim offered a nice wine & cheese get-together to all who cared to partake.
There's a large deck with a refrigerator, lots of tables & chairs and a hot tub. Though it was a bit chilly, the hot tub was a popular spot. Keystone is a great town with lots of character; The Battle Creek Lodge is just enough off the beaten path to be quiet & restful, and close enough to walk anywhere and have an endless choice of shops, restaurants, etc.
All credit should go to the wonderful Jim Johnson, who, with imagination, aplomb and a most pleasant personality,
made this experience one of my favorites.
You can keep your fancy and expensive lodges and motels. I prefer the humble simplicity of places like the Battle Creek Lodge.
The Lodge is in close proximity of all the touristy places (Custer State Park, Badlands NP, Wind Cave NP, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, etc.), and at the end of the day, there's Jim to provide hospitality that is so very personal and delightful.
These out-of-the-way places are ALWAYS more fun than the "Tourist Traps".
I can't say enough about my pleasant and relaxing experience at Battle Creek Lodge.

Been to Battle Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!