“Mayo for everything” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
Modesto, California
“Mayo for everything”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

After riding '1880 Train', we rushed to Borglum Story Museum and missed our lunch. The restaurant was across from the museum. It was a little early for supper, (dinner in SD is lunch, we learned from a brochure) we had a sampler plate - onion rings, good size chickens, cheese fritters, and fried portabella mushrooms (this was new to us). The platter was very big. Fried Portabella: we do not care them so much. Cheese fritters: they were good, wish we had with marinara sauce. Fried Chicken breast: they were big and tasted good.
I just want to tell you my strange experience. If you are mayo person, this would be a great food.
Only sauce that came with the plate was two mayo packages that you can get with sandwiches). My husband had ketchup for his fries, so my daughter asked for marinara sauce. The waitress soon came back with a handful of more mayo packages. She looked a new hire (we overheard the owner or manager was asking her name that the manager could not pronounce right and heard her speaking in Chinese to another waitress). My daughter figured that the waitress did not understand 'marinara', so we asked spaghetti sauce without meat. Then, she came back with more mayo out of a jar in a small bowl. We told her “like tomato sauce" this time, she smiled and came back with red sauce. It was not marinara sauce. By that time we got tired and felt so bad. She was trying very hard each time. So we gave up. We could see her relief. The bowl was cold. Yes, we got cocktail sauce. My daughter felt so bad that she ate cheese with it. Horrible! We saw they had salad bar and got ranch dressing.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

17% Recommend
Montgomery, Pennsylvania
“My first Buffalo burger”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

The folks at the Keystone House were very accommodating to my request for take out and everything was packaged well. It was my first Buffalo burger and I unfortunately was not impressed. Should have saved the extra money and gotten beef. But that is just MY opinion. The restaurant and the staff were AWESOME!!!!

Visited September 2012
Kootenays, BC, Canada
“Food was awful, service was worse!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We pretty much had to throw our arms in the air to have someone wait on us, and by the time she got around to taking our order, I admit I was irritated. But I was prepared to let the irritation go with good food. Good luck getting that here....

I ordered the jumbo shrimp dinner, which was so badly over-cooked as to be inedible. I didn't eat it, and when the server asked if there was a problem, I told her there was. She smiled, shrugged, and said, "Sorry!" And promptly charged me the $17 total for the dinner.

No, I would definitely NOT go back again!

Visited September 2012
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
“Don't waste time or money here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

This was a horrible experience! Ordered off the menu but were told we could get a side of fresh fruit from the buffet...it was canned pears!! Food was cold and bland. Waited forever to get it and the place was not crowded. Friends with us ordered pancakes. Waitress was shocked they wanted butter and they never did get their syrup. Sat and looked out the window wishing I was at Teddy's Deli across the street. AVOID Keystone House Restaurant. I am surprised it can stay in business.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Didn't think it could be that bad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

One word can describe the entire experience at the Keystone House Restaurant...Brutal!!

We visited for dinner in July 2012. The place was cramped; the service extremely poor and the food was just plan bad.

First of all they seated our family of 5 in a booth that did not even fit 4 people (kids included) comfortably. We had to take it upon ourselves to go find a chair to pull up at the end of the table. Our seat was right under an AC duct so it was very windy and cold in our location. I liked this, but my family did not. Once seated the real fun began. Lots of staff was working, but not much was being done. Took a long time to get our drinks and then even longer to get our order taken. Good luck at trying to get a drink refill!!!

Our food finally arrived and the quality was poor at best. The fires were the best item. My 13-year-old son asked me to taste his chicken strips (they tasted different he said) and they tasted just like cheap fish sticks, yes fish. I checked and it was chicken, but must have been cooked in the fish stick oil.

The restaurant did have a buffet but the food looked like it had been sitting there for hours (crusted over gravy etc.) so we did not order.

We downed what we could stomach, paid the bill (no one asked how the meal was, I think they got tired of people telling them the truth) and then got out of there never to return. I recommend you don't go there as well.

• Visited July 2012