“Interesting interpretive center” 4 of 5 stars

Nashville, Tennessee
23 attraction reviews
“Interesting interpretive center”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

It is well to have the history of the monument before going, and that is what this historical center does. The headsets worked well with the exhibits. I cannot comment about the cost, as it was included with the tour I was on.

Alamosa, Colorado
14 attraction reviews
“This Historical Center Helped Me Better Enjoy Mount Rushmore”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My family and I had previously visited Mount Rushmore some years ago, but on this trip (a bus tour), we visited the Borglum Historical Center prior to visiting Rushmore. It really made my visit to Rushmore more interesting! It was neat to learn more about the sculptor of this iconic American attraction. The first thing you see in front of the Center is a large statue of Abe LIncoln. This is Borglum's "Sitting Lincoln," and you can hug or sit by Abe for a photo opp. The Center also includes Borglum's other art, and he did much more than Mount Rushmore. But, of course, much of the Center is about his work preparing to sculpt the mountain. He spent 12 years of his life doing that! Models, drawings and tools are exhibited, and I especially enjoyed learning about his sculpting of Lincoln's eye. He came up with something special for that. There is a self-guided tour using audio wands, so you can view the exhibits at your own pace - I think the pace of that might be difficult for young children. The gift center is extensive and very nice; I purchased some books about Rushmore and Borglum. Do not miss the video! It's 20 minutes long, but full of really interesting facts including footage of workers actually on the mountain - at one point, Borglum is up there advising them as they work. I found it fascinating. Skip other stuff, but in my opinion, not the video. As we left to go to Mount Rushmore, I was even more excited about seeing it again.

Visited May 2012
Saskatchewan
18 attraction reviews
“Interesting but not great for kids”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I really liked the self guided tour. They give you headsets and you punch in a number to listen to a narration of the display. The kids got bored really quick. It was very interesting but again quite expensive. I could have gone without going here. Was very disappointed there was lots on the life of Borglum but very little on what it was like to carve the mountain. Only a few displays of tools and carving. Great for the older crowd, don't bring the kids...

Burns, Wyoming, United States
4 attraction reviews
“A great experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I learned a lot about Mt Rushmore I never knew from the self guided tour which was nice in being able to go through at your own pace. You had every opportunity to take in the smallest of details. It was very nicely laid out and the gift shop was huge!

Visited July 2012
Kerrville, Texas
39 attraction reviews
“Not too impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I liked the head set and audio for the tour, plus the benefit of benches for seating. The lobby area was very pretty-the stonework. We decided to go here before going to Mt Rushmore. We could have skipped this place. Many of the displays needed labeling although the audio tape mentioned who or what it was, but needed a few seconds to locate the item. The narrator was on to the next thing before you could find the previous.A short video is included at the end of the self guided tour. I didn't realize that Borglum did so many sculptures displayed throughout the US.
No photos allowed once you start the tour.