I am extremely pleased with my aunts choice of hotel. She did research and settled on the Holiday Inn Express. We arrived on Saturday at 7pm ish. It was my mother, her sister and myself. We were pleasantly surprised by the home baked chocolate chip cookies. Check in was flawless by this lovely woman name Yolanda. Her co-worker Brandon came out to also greet and chat with us. My immediate impression of these two was excellent. A previous reviewer commented about the professional dress code, excuse me this is Keystone, South Dakota also at the end of season not New York City! What does their dress code have to do with your stay? Anyway I digress...
We settled into our respective rooms. My aunt and mother had a double occupancy room with two queen size beds, and I had the room next to them- king size bed with a separate couch and a coffee table. The rooms were extremely clean. LG flat screen TV. Coffee maker with an assortment of teas and coffees (both caffeinated and decaffeinated). I will say that the bed was a little too hard for me and the pillows were a little too lumpy. Not uncomfortable, but I do prefer a softer mattress. Free wireless.
The bathroom was quite nice: soft towels, excellent toilet paper, and large showerhead with surprisingly excellent water pressure! The products are Bath and Body Works! Shampoo, Conditioner, 2 bars of facial cleansing soap and 2 make up removers (Which I had no use for). And of course, the standard hair dryer.
A little alcove closet with a luggage rack and ironing board and an extra quilt (most likely because I have the sleeper sofa in the king size room). Wooden coat hangers which are fantastic. I only have one minor complaint, the heating system. It is one of those forced air under the window unit. There are dials on there to adjust the temperature: low/high heat or low/high cool. My complaint is: so let's say you adjusted to a steady temperature and when it reaches that temperature the air still continues to blow even though there's "no heat" coming out but its still warm, so the room can get unbearably hot! So just be forewarned!
Overall the room was excellent and at the time we stayed my room was about $98 a night.
There is a pool and a hot tub, which unfortunately I did not get to enjoy, I forgot my swimsuit, but it seems the other guests who were using it we're having a fun time.
So let me say something about Yolanda and Brandon. I would say if it wasn't for them on the night shift I don't think my experience of this hotel would have been as excellent as it was. Two of the most friendly, caring, catering staff I've interacted with at a hotel in a long time. Last November I was in New Orleans for a week at a five star hotel and I was not impressed with the staff, I could barely understand their English. And they were dressed perfectly professionally. Give me Yolanda and Brandon any day. Down to earth, funny, they were just, REAL. I don't need someone to pretend to enjoy to serve me, I need someone who just enjoys being with people The last night we brought dessert back and we wanted to play cards, we sat at a table in the corner. Instantly they were both out there trying to make us more comfortable, sugesting moving a table near the fireplace by rearranging the furniture. Since we're simple folk that was not necessary, but they turned on the lights in the breakfast room and we sat in there, it was fantastic! At one point my mom and aunt took a break and left me by myself. Yolanda was there immediately asking if I needed anything, if I wanted the TV on while they were gone, just awesome!
Which leads me to my final point. The breakfast was pretty great. They had Activia yogurt, hard boiled eggs, milk in the cooler. Multiple types of cereals to dispense. Biscuits and gravy, and surprisingly for the area if the country they were actually pretty good had a little bit of spice. The eggs and meat changed. One day scrambled, the next omlettes. One day they had bacon, then sausage links. Multiple choices of bread, English muffins, bagels, with choices of cream cheese or jellies and butter. They had fresh fruit. They had a juice dispenser. And they have this really nifty pancake maker, and surprisingly enough they were actually really good. My aunt wanted oatmeal which they didn't have out, she asked and voila! They got her some.
And of course, coffee, hot chocolate and tea all day long!
Now mind you the hotel is very, very close to Mount Rushmore. It's actually pretty centrally located near a lot of touristy places, there's a cave nearby, bear country, Crazy Horse isn't that far, a lot of cute little shops (unfortunately most were closed because after season and, oh yeah, thank you government!)
So if you happen to be in the area of Keystone, South Dakota I highly recommend staying at the Holiday Inn Express. You will be greeted by the wafting smell of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, a friendly staff and an enjoyable stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Keystone is located at the base of Mt. Rushmore in the bustling historic town of Keystone, SD and central to all family-approved attractions. Just minutes from Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Custer State Park. The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Keystone is a new, deluxe hotel architecturally designed after the magnificent look of Mt. Rushmore. Come and enjoy our Great Room as you relax around our 3-sided fireplace featuring a Western/Native American flair. The hotel features include free local phone calls, high-speed internet access, business center, and a large pool and hot tub.Enjoy a unique breakfast experience at our new continental deluxe Express Start Breakfast Bar served every morning featuring biscuits & gravy, bacon & eggs, the world's best tasting cinnamon roll, and much more. Visit Keystone, SD and stay smart at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Keystone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Travelocity, Tingo, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Venere, Priceline and Otel so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Keystone reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Keystone
- Holiday Inn Express Keystone
- Holiday Inn Keystone
- Keystone Holiday Inn