“First time SD trip” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Keystone
“First time SD trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I am extremely pleased with my aunts choice of hotel. She did research and settled on the Holiday Inn Express. We arrived on Saturday at 7pm ish. It was my mother, her sister and myself. We were pleasantly surprised by the home baked chocolate chip cookies. Check in was flawless by this lovely woman name Yolanda. Her co-worker Brandon came out to also greet and chat with us. My immediate impression of these two was excellent. A previous reviewer commented about the professional dress code, excuse me this is Keystone, South Dakota also at the end of season not New York City! What does their dress code have to do with your stay? Anyway I digress...

We settled into our respective rooms. My aunt and mother had a double occupancy room with two queen size beds, and I had the room next to them- king size bed with a separate couch and a coffee table. The rooms were extremely clean. LG flat screen TV. Coffee maker with an assortment of teas and coffees (both caffeinated and decaffeinated). I will say that the bed was a little too hard for me and the pillows were a little too lumpy. Not uncomfortable, but I do prefer a softer mattress. Free wireless.

The bathroom was quite nice: soft towels, excellent toilet paper, and large showerhead with surprisingly excellent water pressure! The products are Bath and Body Works! Shampoo, Conditioner, 2 bars of facial cleansing soap and 2 make up removers (Which I had no use for). And of course, the standard hair dryer.

A little alcove closet with a luggage rack and ironing board and an extra quilt (most likely because I have the sleeper sofa in the king size room). Wooden coat hangers which are fantastic. I only have one minor complaint, the heating system. It is one of those forced air under the window unit. There are dials on there to adjust the temperature: low/high heat or low/high cool. My complaint is: so let's say you adjusted to a steady temperature and when it reaches that temperature the air still continues to blow even though there's "no heat" coming out but its still warm, so the room can get unbearably hot! So just be forewarned!

Overall the room was excellent and at the time we stayed my room was about $98 a night.

There is a pool and a hot tub, which unfortunately I did not get to enjoy, I forgot my swimsuit, but it seems the other guests who were using it we're having a fun time.

So let me say something about Yolanda and Brandon. I would say if it wasn't for them on the night shift I don't think my experience of this hotel would have been as excellent as it was. Two of the most friendly, caring, catering staff I've interacted with at a hotel in a long time. Last November I was in New Orleans for a week at a five star hotel and I was not impressed with the staff, I could barely understand their English. And they were dressed perfectly professionally. Give me Yolanda and Brandon any day. Down to earth, funny, they were just, REAL. I don't need someone to pretend to enjoy to serve me, I need someone who just enjoys being with people The last night we brought dessert back and we wanted to play cards, we sat at a table in the corner. Instantly they were both out there trying to make us more comfortable, sugesting moving a table near the fireplace by rearranging the furniture. Since we're simple folk that was not necessary, but they turned on the lights in the breakfast room and we sat in there, it was fantastic! At one point my mom and aunt took a break and left me by myself. Yolanda was there immediately asking if I needed anything, if I wanted the TV on while they were gone, just awesome!

Which leads me to my final point. The breakfast was pretty great. They had Activia yogurt, hard boiled eggs, milk in the cooler. Multiple types of cereals to dispense. Biscuits and gravy, and surprisingly for the area if the country they were actually pretty good had a little bit of spice. The eggs and meat changed. One day scrambled, the next omlettes. One day they had bacon, then sausage links. Multiple choices of bread, English muffins, bagels, with choices of cream cheese or jellies and butter. They had fresh fruit. They had a juice dispenser. And they have this really nifty pancake maker, and surprisingly enough they were actually really good. My aunt wanted oatmeal which they didn't have out, she asked and voila! They got her some.

And of course, coffee, hot chocolate and tea all day long!

Now mind you the hotel is very, very close to Mount Rushmore. It's actually pretty centrally located near a lot of touristy places, there's a cave nearby, bear country, Crazy Horse isn't that far, a lot of cute little shops (unfortunately most were closed because after season and, oh yeah, thank you government!)

So if you happen to be in the area of Keystone, South Dakota I highly recommend staying at the Holiday Inn Express. You will be greeted by the wafting smell of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, a friendly staff and an enjoyable stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
North Canton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We spent four nights at the Keystone Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites in October 2013. We were very pleased. Unfortunately, we couldn't get the suite we wanted as it was already taken, but the one we were given was fine. The front desk staff were all very friendly and efficient. The hot breakfast was very good, but standard fare. All in all, a typical Holiday Inn stay.

Cozy lobby decorated with western theme.

Room Tip: Room in the rear of the hotel won't have much of a view, but you won't hear parking lot nois...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Astoria, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Checked in late at this hotel. The hotel staff was very helpful and friendly.

The room was clean, beds were comfortable.

Parking is a bit tight, but we had no problem getting a spot. It is a very short drive to Rushmore.

Definitely would recommend this hotel if you're crashing for a night or two in the area.

(Walk over to the bar/restaurant in the next parking lot over, they were very nice there too)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Gold Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We only stayed one night in this hotel due to being evacuated due to rising flood waters. The staff friendly, room good size and clean. Beds and pillow very comfortable we were very disappointed that we had to leave. Thanks heaps to staff we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Malvern,PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

So glad we chose the Holiday Inn in Keystone over other options. Driving through town it looks really touristy, but when you turn down the side street for this hotel it is more peaceful. The front desk staff was absolutely delightful and caring. We had mailed two boxes in advance of our stay that were too heavy to take on the plane. They were at the front desk when we arrived. There is a washer and dryer close to the front desk which was soooo convenient, as we desperately needed it. Only $1 to wash a load and $1 to dry. Again, front desk staff was helpful in getting quarters and buying detergent and dryer sheets (also just $1 each). The lobby area is really charming and warm and inviting to sit and chat. Breakfast was good the next day. Really close to Mount Rushmore if that is where you are going.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

After two sleep deprived nights trying to fit "everything in" on a trip to Mount Rushmore, we needed a quiet place for a good nights rest. I actually think this is a decent enough Holiday Inn but it was pricey for off season. It needs some attention to detail and a refresher on professional dress code. Other than that the room was clean and we were able to open the windows to the hill out back and breathe fresh air for a nice 12 hr snooze. Breakfast was nothing special but sufficient to quick start the day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Keystone, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear bonny132,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we
are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
New Albany, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for 2 nights in September of 2013 for our visit to Mount Rushmore. Great place, comfortable beds and clean. The parking was the only negative, even though we ourselves had no problems. Small parking area. Great location to Mount Rushmore!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Keystone? Share your experiences!