“Absolutely incredible” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Hiking, Horseback riding
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Sculptor Gutzon Borglum created this famous mountainside carving of the visages of four great American presidents: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt.
New York
23 attraction reviews
“Absolutely incredible”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

While driving cross country we figured that Mount Rushmore would be a nice stop. It is something I've always been curious to see, and it seemed like the type of area nobody would ever fly to just to see one attraction but would be great for a road trip. We figured that it would be an enjoyable stop but had no idea just how incredible it really was. Before arriving to Mount Rushmore, there is an hour + long drive through the woods and mountains, which was very beautiful itself. We visited in the middle of winter and the mixture of the white snow with the dark terrain was quite a sight. As you continue driving through the mountains, all of a sudden Mount Rushmore shows up out of nowhere. That first sight of it is very exciting, an enormous man made work of art in the middle of all of this natural beauty. I was surprised to see how much it blended in with it's surroundings rather than sticking out like a sore thumb.
After we paid for parking (I don't recall the exact amount but I believe it was around $20), we found a space, (not difficult consider it was 5 degrees below zero and the place was empty), and made our way up the stairs and down the path past all of the US state flags.
As you approach Mount Rushmore, it truly is an amazing experience. I had always scoffed at those who said they had tears in their eyes when they visited this iconic landmark. While I did not have tears in my eyes I was very surprised just how incredible I found it. As cliche as it sounds, pictures do Mount Rushmore absolutely no justice compared to seeing it is person. I fully intend on visiting again and suggest that everybody make an attempt to see this majestic sight in person, it is more than words and pictures can ever convey.

Visited February 2011

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Even if you're not a patriot, it's an impressive piece of art”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

When I went to Rushmore for the first time I wasn't expecting too much coming from a place where there are plentiful tourist traps. But Mount Rushmore is different. What amazed me most is the mechanical scale and precision in how the carving was made in a time before easier tools came along. There is a lot to do here and the views of the Black Hills are stunning particularly at sunrise. If you're planning a visit I would recommend staying a few days and exploring the area, nearby (within a 90 minute drive) is Deadwood, Sturgis, Spearfish Canyon, Custer or the Badlands (2 hours away).

Visited July 2010
Tampa, Florida
3 attraction reviews
“Definately worth the time to stop and admire”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

Loved driving up and started to see the faces on the mountain. Getting a close up view and checking out the area was awesome. I highly recomend to anyone. I always wanted to see this place and am glad I stopped. Thanks to the men and woman who work to preserve this national monument.

Trenton, Florida
23 attraction reviews
“Don't waste your time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

Although I was aware of it, I got annoyed when I was forced to purchase a $10 "annual" parking permit (that was good for 6 months). The concessionaire took only cash which was also annoying (they did make change for a $20 bill, however). I wonder why they don't sell $100 "century" parking permits (that are good for say 2 years).

The park was crowded and reminded me of an overpriced Florida theme park without the good crowd control. Everything about the park just screamed, "Sleeze" to me.

It is sort of like my Army experience: I did it once, but I am not going to do it again.

Hot Springs, sd
“Great family attraction”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

We took our daughters and grandbabies a couple weeks ago to see Mt Rushmore and it was wonderful. Everyone really enjoyed the day. I would definately go back and spend more time.