“Very clean hotel. Friendly and helpful personnel!” 4 of 5 stars

Mt. Rushmore's Washington Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   231 Winter Street, Keystone, SD 57702   |
Ranked #10 of 14 hotels in Keystone
Chicago,Illinois
“Very clean hotel. Friendly and helpful personnel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

Hotel is in a great location, free coffee in lobby may be filled with a coffeepot provided in room. No breakfast provided. Internet service worked fine. Ro0ms are impeccably clean.
indoor pool a plus due to cool in the evenings. Great personnel, very responsive to requests! Only drawback is the incredibly small parking lot that is difficult to maneuver with SUVs and tight parking spots.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Keystone, South Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

We returned from our trip to The Bandlands yesterday. We live in Iowa. Our trip was great, otherthan the weather (which no one can control). As far as the hotel is concerned...the rooms were small, but that's ok, you only sleep there. They were clean as well. BUT THE PARKING IS TERRIBLE!!!!! Every night (late afternoon), we would pull in with NO WHERE to park. The hotel is 3 stories tall with approx 30 rooms on each floor, thats 150 room. Well we counted 34 parking places.....you do the math. If it wasn't for the parking, I would have no complaints. But when you are tired, have had a long day, the last thing you want to do is hunt for a parking spot and possible end up 1/2 to 1 mile away and then have to walk with a cooler and stuff.
By the way there is also a resturant using the same parking lot that the same people own, because you get "discounted coupons to use". Saw same employees working there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011 via mobile

Could hear people stomping around in upstair rooms. The bed had an old grubby blanket on it. The pillows were worn out.

• Stayed June 2011
Glen Burnie, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

This place probably was my least favorite of all the places I've stayed so far on my cross-country road trip. It was about $80 (after tax), but is more like the type of room you'd expect for $50-60. Beds were not uncomfortable, linens and furnishings are obviously out-dated, and there were stains on the carpet (although I don't think it was overall dirty, I did walk around barefoot and didn't have dirty feet afterwards.). The sheet came off the bed while I was sleeping on it, which annoys me to no end, and usually won't happens if the sheets are clean and fit the bed properly. It wasn't terrible, but I'd expect a lot more for the price of the place. Oh, and the walls are paper thin. I am not at all a light sleeper, but I was continuously woken up once 5am rolled around by the alarm of the people next door, voices, little kids running around, etc. When you've got a 9 hour day of driving ahead of you, getting woken up a couple of hours before your alarm goes off is really the last thing you want. There's also only one nightstand between two queen beds, which I found kind of odd.

It's not dirty, and everything is serviceable (there's a microwave and a fridge, too.), so it's not a terrible hotel...it's just grossly overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
baton rouge, la
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

Let me first say, my room 104 I think, was very small and it was a handicapped room with a roll in shower, which I did not need, but we were told it was not handicapped, just made that way, which I find out not true now. The bath was large due to handicapped, almost as large as the room. We did have a king bed and it was very clean, but the room has to be about 10 x 12, as it took up the entire room. We were very tired, as had just flown into Rapid City, so just needed a place quickly. I can say I like the fact it was clean and our room was surprisingly quiet, even though it was a down and out room. It is just me, as I prefer a bathtub, but was told it was more than the $79.00 we paid. Good for a short stay and welcoming staff and free coffee, but no breakfast was offered.

Room Tip: Book an internet rate, dont just walkin.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

We stayed here 2 nights in May 2011 to see Mt Rushmore and Badlands...I hadn't read any of the reviews but we were pretty impressed, so perhaps they have had a management change recently? We found the staff friendly, one of them even let me use their washing machine and dryer after saying the Keystone laundry was closed. I was impressed as I really needed to wash my babies' clothes, so I appreciated him helping me out. I would recommend this place. Didn't have an issue with parking as it was quiet season but could imagine it could be a problem if busier.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

We paid $49.95 for 4 adults in October, which even in off-season was a good deal. You have to ask for the internet special to get it that cheap & they may only have so many rooms for that price. Our room was TINY. 2 double beds pressed up against the walls with only small walking area between the 2 beds. This room size would have been much better for a king bed. We didn't spend much time in our room, but still not real comfortable with 4 adults - wouldn't have been so bad with only 2 adults. Our room was clean & no complaints on the service. However, will definitely agree with other reviews that parking is an issue. They don't really have enough parking spaces for all the rooms & they're so close, I'd bet they have several accidents & dings per season. I would never pay peak season prices to stay here when we've stayed in nearby Hill City (Comfort Inn & Best Western) for same prices as Keystone & very nice rooms.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to Mt. Rushmore's Washington Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!