“fantastic family run hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Abington Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78 Carlisle Road, Abington ML12 6SD, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Abington
Aberdour, United Kingdom
“fantastic family run hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed here recently at the end of May and where so happy we bought the Groupon voucher for the two nights stay. We paid £90 and that was for 2 nights stay, a 3 course meal on the first night ,a bottle of wine and breakfast for each day.
The room was very clean and tidy ,basic but we expected that!
The staff I could not fault. From the young girl who welcomed us to the waiting staff during our fantastic meal right up until the minute we left big thumbs up!
we also stayed in room 16 which right opposite is a designated smoking area. We found ourselves sitting there for hours with our beers!
We cannot stop telling our friend and family about this hotel and we will defiantly be returning.

Maybe the only thing I would say is the main bed cover that goes over the pillows and bed could possibly be updated as they look a bit dated and it would give the room a totally different look Oh...and more table and chairs in the 'sun trap' smoking area! apart from that I couldn't fault the hospitality and service.
Thank you to all the staff who made our getaway very relaxed and memorable!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1AbingtonHotel, Owner at Abington Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Hello to OwnerAH and thank you for taking the time to submit your review to Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Abington Hotel.

I am delighted to read your very positive comments regarding the level of customer service you received, quality and enjoyment of your 2 night break as well as the standard of housekeeping in your bedroom.

Following on from your comments regarding the bedding, I am pleased to say that we have recently invested in a new modern style of bedding for the complete hotel. I am sure that you will approve of the changes.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Abington Hotel.

190 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed one night dinner with wine, bed and breakfast. We loved it. Can't wait for another deal. Have also recommended to family and friends.full marks.staff lovely and friendly.helped by glorious weather but really felt we had had a lovely relaxing break.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello to Willyeknowcomeback2 and thank you for taking the time to submit your review to Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Abington Hotel.

I very much appreciate your positive comments regarding my staff and the overall enjoyment of your break at the Abington Hotel. Thank you for your recommendation to your family and friends.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Stowmarket
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stopped off here for a night on our way to the Isle of Barra. The food was excellent. The bedroom and bathroom were rather like going back to the sixties. My husband had to swap the batteries around in the three television controls to make them work. The bathroom had a dripping tap and a large cobweb behind the door. There was a plum stone on the floor of the dining room under the chair where I sat both at dinner and breakfast- I then picked it up. Admittedly, it was the same colour as the carpet!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello to HeatherStowmarket and thank you for taking the time to submit your review to Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Abington Hotel.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the quality and standard of the food you received. We are in the process of upgrading some aspects of our bedrooms and this includes the bedding and televisions which I hope will offer our future guests added comfort whilst staying at the Abington Hotel.

I hope you had a safe onward journey and that you had an enjoyable visit to Barra.

uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

My wife and I got a voucher deal for 2 nights b&b plus a three course meal and bottle of wine on first night.
the staff where super and very helpfull, we had room no5 a twin bedded.
nice clean and comfy with a nice view of the lawn and loads of rabbits.
the breakfasts are excellent. with a buffet style and help yourself to toast suits us fine.
however on prepairing for the evening meal. we where given a set menu with 2 mains or a veggie. this was priced at £19.99 for 3 courses I would not have paid this for what we got.
my wife chose roast ham and gravy. and i chose haggis.and chips.
both meals where of poor quality. my wife got 3 new potatoes with 1 bit of broccolli and one cauliflour both soggy and not very nice( frozen and microwaved i suspect.)
frozen tastless chips for me I left em and filled up with haggis.
on the following night we drove a round trip of about 18 miles to sanquaire for a chinese takeaway rather than risk another meal
despite this we had a good stay and if we go again it will be b&b only

Room Tip: room 5 has a very noisy toilet fan so if one of you gets up in the night the other gets woken up.
1AbingtonHotel, Owner at Abington Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Hello to UKShooter and thank you for submitting your review to Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Abington Hotel.

I am delighted to read your positive comments regarding the level of customer service offered by my staff, level of comfort in your bedroom and that you enjoyed an excellent breakfast. I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with your evening meal.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We visited this hotel for an overnight using a voucher offering dinner, bottle of wine and breakfast. The reception and serving staff were very friendly, thank you Catherine and Julie. The meal was very well presented and cooked to perfection. We both had chicken breast stuffed with haggis and I have to say the chicken must have been some size!! It was also great to have a choice of a good bottle of wine. We would visit again as it is clean and welcoming.

1AbingtonHotel, Owner at Abington Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Hello to Margaret K and thank you for taking the time to submit your review to Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Abington Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay - thank you for your positive comments regarding the friendliness of my staff, the quality and presentation of your evening meal and the standard of comfort offered in your bedroom.

I like to keep all of my staff informed of ALL reviews and I will ensure that Catherine and Julie receive a copy of your review.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had a wine, meal and room deal which was very good value however, the rooms could do with updating and refurbishment. The set menu was a little unimaginative and we asked if we could "trade up" to a la carte. This took referral to management, but was agreed. We chose a different main and the starters were on both menus. My husband's pate looked like it had been plated up a while beforehand, but my prawn cocktail seemed fresh enough. The main: chicken breast stuffed with haggis, sadly, did not live up to expectations, and we were not charged extra for choosing a different dish. Breakfast was excellent and plenty of it.
For a budget one night stay, it was fine.

1AbingtonHotel, Owner at Abington Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Hello to HampshireTraveller59 and thank you for taking the time to submit your review to Tripadvisor following your recent visit to the Abington Hotel.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the value for money offered during your stay and for reviewing that you enjoyed an excellent breakfast.

I am disappointed to read that the evening meal selection offered within the deal did not perhaps live up to your expectations.

Hamilton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

after my partner booked a wee getaway night on a groupon deal we checked reports on this hotel which were mixed, however on our arrival the staff were very friendly and despite the arrival of a coach party we were booked in a few minutes later, our room was quite large and had two single beds plus a double, handy if your man snores too loud lol , we drove up to leadhills and then into wanlochead and had a small refreshment in the bar there where the locals were very friendly and had we not been driving we enjoyed the company and would have stayed for a few more. fortunately the weather was lovely and the scenery was very nice. On our return to the hotel we booked in for evening meal and were given a 3 course menu with 3 choices plus a free bot of rose wine which was very nice, Tom had the lentil soup and I had haggis and neeps wonderful we both followed that with fillet of salmon which was beautiful and Tom had ice cream while I had jam roly poly and custard yumyum . We passed on the tea and coffee and despite a suggestion that the coachload of welsh pensioners join us for a karioke in the bar , returned to our room to finish our wine . Breakfast next morning was buffet style but everything was lovely and we left full and satisfied , great staff, great meal, great value for money would definitely recommend it and would return again .

1AbingtonHotel, Owner at Abington Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Hello to Tom C and thank you for taking the time to submit your review to Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Abington Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay at the Abington Hotel. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the friendliness of our staff, smooth booking in procedure at Reception, bedroom quality and presentation and standard of the food presented during your evening meal and breakfast.

Despite the weather, it is good to read that this did not spoil your enjoyment of many of the local sights and countryside in our area.

I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Abington Hotel.

Owner, Abington Hotel

Been to Abington Hotel? Share your experiences!