“Very poor” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very poor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We booked this on a 2 night KGB deal, with breakfast and a 3 course meal on 1 night included, we had read that the hotel was in a rural setting, however were not expecting it to be in the middle of nowhere and the car park to be accessed through a dirt road, which became swampland in the rain. When we 1st arrived we were shown to room 14, a lodge room, which we had originally requested, however, the room was sub standard, the shower was filthy, I wouldn't have showered my dogs in there, my wife immediately asked for someone to come and clean it, admittedly, within 5 minutes a lady arrived and we were moved to the main hotel, however, we were upstairs, and there was no lift,the stairs were very steep, with a perilously loose banister rail, so we took our life in our hands each time we used them. The interior of the hotel looked like it had not been decorated since the 80's, and the bedroom itself was not even on par with a days inn / travel lodge, especially the bathroom, no power shower, and the bath set so low, could have been designed for a child, the wi fi signal was intermittent at best, and all in all we were disappointed, even for the price we paid. Now to the restaurant, and trust me, I am being very generous calling it a restaurant, when the menu arrived , my wife had a mushroom starter, while I had smoked trout, and I had a lamb entree where my wife opted for the sirloin steak, now yes we are on the large side, however are usually perfectly satisfied with normal portion sizes, however, my wife was served a singe mushroom, the size of a 2 pence coin, with some brie on top, my starter was average, though at least larger than my wife's, the main course again was tiny, my wife had opted for a very well done steak, however the item that came out, was flat as a pancake and looked as if it had been mauled by a dog, and the triple cooked chips, all 6 of them, came straight out of the freezer, and had been fried in the cheapest of oils, my main again was ok, but very small, dessert, for me was cheese board with homemade pickle, which turned out to be Sharwoods mango chutney, straight from the jar, my wife opted for the special sounding, ice cream, with biscuits and meringue, wow it was special, 3 thumb sized scoops of ice cream, the biscuit and meringue was a bit of dust underneath the ice cream, how this meal was worth the £60 the hotel would have charged off the menu prices I will never know, we were still hungry and headed off for a takeaway.
The bed in the room was way too soft and the pillows need changing as are totally flat, now onto breakfast, our deal included a full English which was access to the continental selection as well as a fully cooked option, my wife ate some off the mini danish, which were just the generic ones you can buy from any supermarket, and went for some fruit juice, as the menu promised a selection, the only juice available was orange, which tasted as if it was a powdered juice that you make up with water, when we asked if there was any other juice we were told we could have a bottle of pineapple, however when this was brought out it was brown and looked awful so we just left it, the cooked breakfast itself, was so bad we were unable to eat it, there were puddles of oil under all the items, and the quality of the food, was from the budget brand of one of the cheaper supermarkets, have had better from a local pub. We spent the day out of the hotel, and because of the issues above decided against staying the extra night, when I advised the lady on reception that we were checking out, she told me there was a £5 supplement each for the evening meal, as we had gone over our allowance, there is nothing in the KGB info on this, so I refused to pay it, on reflection I wonder if this is a tactic by the hotel to raise extra revenue, and how many guests had paid this without question.
In conclusion, this is a very standard hotel, with very misguided ideas of grandeur, with sub standard food at exorbitant prices, I would never stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Amy H, Marketing Coordinator at Lyncombe Lodge Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for the review that you have written us and I’m very sorry to hear that your stay was not as you were expecting.

We take all of our customer reviews very seriously and are astounded to hear your thoughts regarding our hotel. I would like to personally address this matter and each of your points in turn. Please email me at amy@lyncombelodge.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Leicester, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Just spent two nights at Lyncombe Lodge as part of a KGB deal. The staff were particularly helpful at all times and the quality of food very good, all prepared from fresh.
The hotel was a bit quiet while we were there, only 3 rooms occupied, but I understand it is usually much fuller.
The setting is ideal, right next to a ski slope, if that is what you want, but also close to lots of really good walking, such as Cheddar Gorge and the Mendips.
For what we paid, a fantastic value stay

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Amy H, Marketing Coordinator at Lyncombe Lodge Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, November 15, 2012

If you wish to stay with us again or would be interested in receiving future deals and special offers please don't forget to visit our website and sign up to our newsletter. We have some great deals that you may be interested in for your next visit.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We came across an offer for a weekend break at this hotel via TimeOut, London.

After a fairly long drive in the rain, we were greeted by very polite staff who were eager to help. There was a slight problem with our booking, but it was all resolved very quickly and I didn't mind having two separate beds instead of one. The evening meal was supposed to include a bottle of house wine, but due to the mix up we were given a bottle of bubbly instead. Lovely!

The room was lovely. A little on the cosy side, but very clean and the decor was lovely. The bathroom was also a little small, but more than sufficient for a weekend stay for two.

The food was very impressive. I only wished I could have fit more in!

Overall it was a very lovely stay and I would recommend it to friends.

Harrow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Spent two nights here in October on the KGB deal. The location is lovely (providing you are driving). Close to cheddar and in a great setting next to the ski centre. The food is good, i wouldn't say it was fantastic as some other reviewers have said, my starter of mushroom fricasse left a lot to be desired. The rooms are spacious but the decor is a little dated with wallpaper peeling slightly and light fittings very dirty. Shower was poor, a trickle of water. Staff very helpful and breakfast was good, would certainly recommend it. The value for money I got was fantastic.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Amy H, Marketing Coordinator at Lyncombe Lodge Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you very much for the review that you left for Lyncombe Lodge Hotel and Restaurant. It is always great to hear when someone has enjoyed their trip and taken the time to share their comments with others.

I apologize that you had a poor shower. I have asked our maintenance man to look in to this today so that none of our other guests experience the same problem. I have also raised the issue of the cleanliness of the light fittings with our cleaning team. We are also happy to tell you that we are in the process of updating all of the decor of the hotel.

Harrow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

A two night stay on KGB deal with dinner included on first night. Food was very good and staff were very helpful.

Nice secluded location near Blagdon Lake and adjacent to a dry ski run. Weston Super Mare is within seven miles as is Chew Valley Reservoir with leisure facilities.

Certainly good value for money.

uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last weekend as we wanted to visit somerset and surrounding attractions.
The hotel was first class. Set in an idylic location.
Rooms were modern and clean and all that you needed for your stay. Only 14 rooms but they do have some rooms outside of the main hotel which looked nice too.
Breakfasts were first class which went down a treat with my other half.
Lovely bar and comfy sofas.
Staff were all so so friendly.
A great weekend away

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Amy H, Marketing Coordinator at Lyncombe Lodge Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you very much for the review that you left for Lyncombe Lodge Hotel and Restaurant. It is always great to hear when someone has enjoyed their trip so much that they take the time to share their experience with others. It really makes everything that we do worth while.

I will pass all of your kind comments on to our staff.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Just returned from a 2 day stay (KGB deal) at this lovely hotel. Situated off the beaten track it is
in a beautiful spot and very close to the Cheddar Gorge etc. It is a privately owned hotel and has a friendly atmosphere,the staff will go the extra mile to please. The food is fantastic, cooked to perfection and presented beautifully - we will be be going back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Amy H, Marketing Coordinator at Lyncombe Lodge Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you very much for the review that you wrote for us. It is always great to hear when someone has enjoyed their trip so much that they take the time to share it with others.

I will pass your comments on to all of the staff as I know that they will really appreciate your kind words.

We hope to see you at Lyncombe Lodge Hotel and Restaurant again soon.

Been to Lyncombe Lodge Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!