“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Belmar
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Madison Hotel recently for an overnight getaway from the kids. It was great!

Our room was comfortable and clean, we loved the mattress. Upon heading to dinner, we informed the front desk that our television did not work. After dinner, they informed us they could not get the television working and they upgraded us to a slightly larger room which was perfect.

Dinner could not have gone better. The piano player adds a nice touch without dominating the atmosphere. Our service was the best I've ever had at a restaurant. My wife is a vegetarian and the menu had no entree options for here. The waiter had the kitchen prepare a fantastic steamed vegetable platter. Our waiter's wine recommendations were perfect. He didn't mindlessly offer up a single type of wine for both of us, he made recommendations based on what we were eating and he was dead on both times. Finally, dessert sealed the deal. A chocolate-pecan tart with cinnamon ice cream was perfect.

The decor is old, but beautiful. We loved the dark wooden look.

Brunch on Sunday morning was out of this world. After that great dinner the night before, I had to behave myself, which wasn't easy. Two carving stations, six chafing dishes, the best array of salads I've ever seen, an omelet station, a bagel station and a dessert/fresh fruit spread. I only wish I had room for more.

I cannot be more complimentary of the Madison Hotel. We loved it and will go back again. I think too many people are in love with new, shiny, cookie cutter hotels. Those people would not appreciate a place like The Madison.

• Liked — The restaurant.
  • Disliked — The drive.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Stamford CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2007

I'm a little surprised by all of the negative reviews. The Madison is a sleepy, non-chain, privately-owned hotel in the NY suburbs. If you want something high-end and more predictable, the Hilton at Short Hills is right for you. The rooms seem like they were recently renoved, the bathroom is clean, room service for breakfast was good, the lobby is attractive and inviting during the winter - fireplace and all. Rod's, the restaruant connected to the hotel, has a good reputation. The mid-week rates are a little high but not so high to expect more than what you get. There is a Westin and Hyatt in town if you want something predictable. Here are the negatives - service is pretty much non-existant. This included the front desk, reservations, and the doormen. On several occasions I called to change the arrival and departure dates and the rate changed depending on who I talked with. Also, there was no hot water on one of the mornings. I can see how the hotel can get incredibly noisy, particularly when they have parties and events on Saturday nights - there is a big ballroom there so be carefull about which floor and wing of the hotel you are staying in. Indoor swimming pool was freezing. Overall, a reasonable experience given that it is privately held and they set their own standards. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed. There is also a Best Western down the road for less money.

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Services
  • Tips/Secrets — Becareful about floor and wing - don't stay near or above ballroom
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
smcarthur, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2011
Hello, my name is Scott McArthur and I am the General Manager at the Madison Hotel in Morristown, NJ. On April 1st, 2010 I took over management of this property along with a new hotel management company and I wanted to personally contact you and invite you back to try us again. Please visit our website and email or call me with any questions or concerns. My email address is smcarthur@themadisonhotel.com and my phone number is 862-345-5500. I am confident you will enjoy your stay. Since I took over we have received 22 comments by Trip Advisor members and of those 22 comments, 19 or 86% have ranked us VERY GOOD or EXCELLENT (no one has ranked us poor or terrible) and we are currently ranked by a wide margin the NUMBER 1 HOTEL in our area by Trip Advisor members. In summary we are independent hotel with outstanding service and a beautiful facility. Try us again; I am sure you will be pleased.

Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2006

The Madison Hotel was probably quite the hotel in it's hey day but I would imagine this hotel is having some trouble competing with the likes of a new slick business hotel. The Madison is full of wood, English Hunt prints and dark carpet and draperies. Along with all of those very staid, traditional turn of the century looks comes great concierge service and an amazingly friendly staff. Now if you want good room service, this hotel's time is long gone. I was there on business for four nights and the staff regularly got my breakfast order wrong. There is a breakfast serviced downstairs (continental variety) and it was acceptable but not great. Room service dinners were also below average. The room was clean but starting to look a little faded and I was staying in an upscale suite. I happen to love the look of old hotels like this, complete with glassed in conservatory, bistro chairs in a beautiful courtyard and wood bars with stained glass in the lobby. The restaurant attached to the hotel is an old boy's network steakhouse that serves up incredible rack of lamb and has great waiters. (can't give the chief wait staff that same compliment I'm afraid.) The bar plays Billy Joel at a low pace in the evening and I suspect they still do alot of wedding dinners and rehearsals. I felt a little like I was in a Francis Ford Coppola movie and wondered if there was a mobster holding court nearby. The basics, the rooms was clean, the white turkish bath robes were wonderful, the irons work and the mattresses are average. I would stay there again...but probably not upgrade to a suite. It is certainly worth seeing.

Stayed May 2006

Oakville, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2005

We have stayed at the Madison a few times and were happy there. This time was different. They put us in a room next to the elevator on the main floor. We should have known better. The noise was brutal all nite long. The hallway & elevator seemed to be the meeting place. The toilet moved!!!

We requested to be moved, and they moved us to a room by the pool also on the 1st flr. We had people checking out the pool at all hrs. of the nite. Then when I made coffee in the coffemaker in the room, I realized the cup had been used by the people before us!!! Ugh. Anyhow, it is pretty in the lobby and maybe we'll stay there again but not on the main floor!!

• Stayed December 2005

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2005

Reserved three rooms here for a wedding over the weekend. We were told the rooms were adjoining, but upon arriving, they were not. When we tried to talk with the hotel staff, they were not helpful at all. Also, at night drunk bar-goers were walking the halls and knocking on the doors. No security in sight and no one at the front desk when we went downstairs to complain. Beds were very hard. I'd recommend staying somewhere else.

Stayed September 2005

Ohio City, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2005

Yes, it is very old and it smells old.
At one time it probably enjoyed a great reputation per the victorian decor. I stayed here for a two week business trip because my corporation had made mandatory arrangments for me to be here. However, I would not book a voluntary stay. Allthough convininet for its proximity to downtown Morristown and many local colleges there has to be a better choice. If you like old, then this is your place. The restaurant, Rods, is billed as one of the best stake houses in town, if you want to pay $30-$35 per steak dinner and I have had better. There are better choices in downtown. This is a family owned hotel and thus I feel it has fall behind the times; I would say that the "family" has lost touch as to what is reasonable and expected. This hotel is in demand for wedding receptions and sweet sixteen celebrations! I saw 8 during the time I was there. All this because it has a glass enclosed ball room.
I could not find any bright spots other than the new excercise room and location close to local colleges and corporations. My rate was corporate rate; but the going rate was close to $200 which is well over price. For the price, I will choose another location if available.
Would I stay again if I had to pay out of pocket; no.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business

chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2005

Intially, I reserved a room in Parsippany due to negative comments from colleagues. However, others attending the same function in Morristown said it was a good place to stay and close by. The rooms were quite adquately sized; had 2 small bottles of complementary water in them, an iron, and newspaper delivered to the door. There was also a small workout rm, indoor pool, and hottub. The best thing was an extensive complementary breakfast in the lobby.
I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!