“a gem in morristown” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Windsor, New Jersey
“a gem in morristown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

had occasion to stay at the madison hotel and was so pleasantly surprised by the whole place. the lobby is welcoming, warm, cozy, friendly with kind of an old world flair. i really liked it, my husband loved being welcomed with cookies but thought that it was a little too dark for him.

rooms were very good, spotless, beds comfortable, enough pillows (my husband and i sleep with 2 each) to suit anyone's sleeping preferences. i like little amemities like a coffee pot since we drink coffee early at home, so we were able to get a cup before going down for breakfast which was very good.

only stayed one night but we will definitely return to explore the surrounding area. by the way, there is a ton of parking and the hotel is about half a mile from 287 which was great for us.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for posting comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. Thank you for calling our hotel a gem, I am happy you were pleasantly surprised by the whole place and enjoyed the complimentary cookies at check in. We look forward to having you stay with us again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Scott McArthur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Brussels
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

The outside of this hotel looks really nice, like some kind of grand, old world hotel. But the guestrooms just do not live up to the exterior and public spaces. Very forgettable, standard hotel decor. There was no trash bin in the bathroom and the bathroom itself needed to be updated. Breakfast was a complimentary Continental offering in the hotel lobby. This was not comfortable, as there were not enough tables to accomodate the guests, so we ate with our food balanced on our laps sharing a couch with 2 other people. My advice - either move the breakfast to a proper room, serve it in the hotel restaurant, or get some more tables and chairs. The hotel staff are friendly and helpful. When we checked in, the hall outside our room smelled strongly of fish and the staff dealt with that immediately. The wifi is free and you can self-park at the hotel. Nobody is available to help with bags so you will need to schlep things in on your own. Overall, a very mixed experience for the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I was happy to hear you enjoyed the complimentary wi-fi, complimentary cold breakfast buffet and complimentary parking. It was also nice to hear you found the staff friendly and helpful and the exterior and public spaces of the hotel nice. I was concerned about your comments about the breakfast area, we have over 80 total seats (including our courtyard) available with 40 being at a table and the rest next too or in front of some type of end table or coffee table. We also serve breakfast for three hours so if it is busy at one time guests can come back at a less busy time. As you can see from other comments (including the one posted the same day as yours "Madison Hotel - You rescued us!" who commented that the breakfast area was "nice and comfy"), breakfast iin our lobby and courtyard is a very popular offering. I also was confused about you having to take luggage to your room. The front desk supervisor remembers checking you and your son in and offering assistance. She also was the one who removed the room service tray from outside your room. Is she mistaken? If so, please call me so I can clairfy what happened and ensure it does not happen to anyone else. We ALWAYS have someone available to help with luggage. Thank you again, and please stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I first came here about 20 years ago on a business trip. 20 years, later while on a 12 day vacation trip, I got the Sheraton in Parsippany through Hotwire instead. My co-worker told me that the Parsippany area is perfect for visiting New York. He was wrong! The drive is too long. It took over 30 minutes to get to New York. and over an hour to get to Flushing. I drive just as bad as most New York drivers! Anyhow, the Sheraton was a nightmare! After staying at the Sheraton for about 30 minutes and getting called racist names, the wife told me to look for another hotel. She didn't want the Madison. She wanted a hotel where I could get some "points", like a Hilton, Hyatt, or Marriott. Being a good husband, I didn't listen to her. I took her to the Madison instead. I explained my situation with the front desk, and they were empathetic to my situation. They wanted to step in and help. They were very nice and gave the daughter a stuffed animal. My wife was not convinced. She wanted to see the room before we committed. The first room was on the second floor. It was a nice room. The problem? The wife does not like lower floors. So, we didn't take it. The front desk then offered to give us another room on a higher floor. They didn't recommend it because there was a wedding party, and they were concerned that would be too loud for us since the music would stop at around midnight. Since we were on vacation and on Pacific Time and vacation mode, we accepted!

The room had one king bed. They offered to give us a roll in bed. But, we declined since we didn't think the daughter would sleep by herself. The air conditioning unit was loud. On the first night there, it kept on waking me up. I finally turned it off in the middle of the night for some peace and quiet. The wife made comments that the room and bathrooms were a little dated. I would have to agree. Wallpaper was peeling off the wall in certain places. The wife also complained that the television did not have enough channels, specifically her new favorite HGTV. What made up for the negatives was the service. The service was impeccable. The bell man always greeted me and opened the doors for me. The front desk went above and beyond in helping us.

The continental breaksfast was good. It didn't have "just add water scrambled eggs" or sausage pattys like some of the chains have. But, they did offer fruit and lots of breads. The breakfast area was nice and comfy.

Parking was FREE! I was tired of paying high prices for parking. It was a relief to my wallet.

If I was in the area, I would definitely come back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for your business and for saying you would definitely come back, I spoke with you about your experience in Parsippany and I hope you now know the treatment you received there is not a reflection of that community or even this county. It was a pleasure having you and your family as our guest and rest assured we will always be here for you. Tell your wife not to worry about losing any loyalty points since the complimentary wi-fi, complimentary parking, complimentary cold breakfast buffet, complimentary local transportation, etc. more then make up for it. Thank you again and please visit us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed for a weekend at the Madison. Older nice looking hotel in good location, but with some significant problems.

The Good: Nice Staff, Truly lovely decor, decent size rooms, great fresh fruit at continental breakfast. Good location. Quiet. Nice view out front of hotel.
The Bad:
Cleanliness and Housekeeping: Pool skimmer very poor. Lots of hair and bugs floating on surface of lovely pool. Wouldn't go in. Too bad, because the pool area is really nice and it was the reason I choose this hotel over others I saw online. Jacuzzi was okay. Also not the cleanest room. Cobwebs/spiderwebs all over windowsill. Water drained slowly from shower. Asked front desk twice for extra regular coffee in room and it was never brought. They did have very good coffee in lobby 24 hrs per day however. Still, I like my in-room morning coffee.

Technical Problems: Door lock broken when checked in, but was fixed very quickly by very nice and efficient engineer. (so this isn't necessarily a point against the hotel, just a bit frustrating). Last night AC Unit not working. (It was literally in the 90's when we returned to the hotel at 1AM. Didn't call front desk because just wanted to sleep. At checkout informed engineer and front desk and they said it was the circuit breaker and told us we should have called the front desk. But at 1:00 in the morning I was too tired to wait for someone to come up and fix it. I was surprised that the front desk was not more apologetic about this with the temperatures so high.

All in all I'm not sure if I would recommend this hotel. I might try a different one next time I go to Morristown.

Room Tip: Pick a high floor facing the front of the hotel (church side) for a quiet location with a really nic...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay and for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed the nice staff, lovely decor, nice sized room and complimentary breakfast we had to offer. I wanted to apologize for the lack of response in regards to your request for more coffee, that is unacceptable and I will address it with the team. I also want to apologize for the cobwebs you found in your windowsill. I had it corrected as soon as I received your comments and today I am having housekeeping check and clean as necessary all windowsills. I also would like to apologize for the surface of the pool being dirty. We have a retractable roof in the pool area and sometimes an insect or two might sneak in before our team can scoop it out. I know that can be a little disconcerting to some and we do our best to stay on top of it, however we missed it when you visited the pool that day (a case of being in the wrong space at the wrong time). I am sure if you return you will not encounter these issues again and we look forward to having you as a guest again in the near future. As you know, Trip Advisors members rank us very high and I am truly disappointed we did not meet your expectations. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you decide to give us another chance.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

The decor is replete with old world elegance. Beautiful hardwood woodwork, unique fireplace, conservatory, free beakfast buffet in a courtyard, gracious sitting areas add to the gracious ambience. When in the area, the Madison will be our first choice.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor we appreciate your business and are happy to hear you will stay with us whenever you visit northern NJ.

Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

We stayed at the Madison to be close to Drew University for graduation ceremonies. It was a little tricky to find by car, but the train station is right next to the hotel so arriving that way is easy. We stayed in a suite. The adjoining room had a refrigerator and a small kitchen-like area with a bar for serving food and drinks. Friends and family gathered there for a small after-graduation party. The beds were comfortable, and our room was quiet. We were able to darken the room so that early morning sunlight didn't disturb us. We ate dinner in the pub because we were too tired to explore the nearby town. The pub was family friendly and crowded so service was a bit harried, but the staff was solicitous and the food was tasty. The self-service breakfast had a good variety of choices -- fruit, hot and cold cereal, sweet rolls, hard-boiled eggs, coffee, tea, juice, yogurt, toast, muffins. We didn't use the pool or spa. For train fans, there is an old train dining car where you can have dinner seated like you would be on a train.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I was thrilled to hear you found the hotel beautiful, comfortable and convenient and hope you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Hackettstown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

The Madison Hotel in Morristown, NJ, is a beautiful and elegant hotel. In my opinion, it's far nicer than even an upscale "chain" hotel because of its individuality. We hosted our wedding reception there, and all of our guests raved about the property. It's the type of place that's truly unique and really feels more like a "resort". They have a nice health club, an indoor pool, 2 restaurants, and a very generous complimentary breakfast each morning in the lobby. I would highly recommend it for anyone hosting a party or just looking for a nice getaway. My husband and I plan to stay there whenever we need some R&R! They have beautiful rooms and bathrooms, and the staff is very professional and friendly.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Congratulations on your wedding, best wishes for a happy life together. We look forward to having you as our guests again whenever you or your husband need a little R+R. Thanks for recommending us and I am glad you found our hotel beautiful and elegant, far nicer than even an upscale chain hotel with beautiful rooms and a very professional and friendly staff. We look forward to having you as a guest again and hopefully we will see you soon.

Scott McArthur

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!