“Consistently very good and friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #106 of 129 restaurants in Morristown
Cuisines: Indian
Mendham, NJ
“Consistently very good and friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We love this place and the people who run it. All are attentive and helpful. Ask the owner what he recommends, and he will ask enough about your tastes to come up with the perfect dish. We dine here more often than any other restaurant.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

61% Recommend
northern New Jersey
“Great Indian food in Morristown!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

While passing through Morristown last weekend we decided at the last minute to stop for dinner at Caffe India. We were seated promptly and efficiently, and we found many enticing options on the menu. Appetizers were brought quickly and were absolutely wonderful... we chose the tandoori assorted appetizers along with an order of vegetable samosas. Everything was delicious and the samosas were not the least bit greasy, which was a huge plus for us.

Our meals were outstanding and the servings were plentiful without being oversized. My chicken tikka masala was flavorful and had just the right amount of spice. The naan was fresh and hot, and the garlic naan was out of this world with a generous (yet not overwhelming) supply of freshly crushed garlic.

The waitstaff was attentive and personable, making the whole experience worthwhile. We'd love to stop in once again the next time we're in Morristown. Caffe India is a winner in our book!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Excellent for the lunch buffet, an incredible value, to dinner with friends and family. Nice range of traditional dishes, including some that are a good match for those less adventurous, or being introducted to Indian. Not nice for Caffe India, but nice for you...no liquor license...so bring your own. Simple and clean upscale casual atmophere. Near courthouse.

I've eaten in Indian restaurants throughout New York City, New Jersey..and India, and rarely enjoyed better. 9 out of 10.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cleveland Heights, Ohio
“Excellent Indian cuisine with decent prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We've been searching for decent Indian food since moving to Morris county in 2010, and finally have been very pleased with Caffe India. Their dishes are consistently good. We love the chicken tikka masala, eggplant bhurta and biryani. Their Naan is always good. Pleasant staff, good service. Prices a bit lower than Mendhi and similar quality food.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Parsippany, New Jersey
“Canned Food, Overcharge on check - verify before you pay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

The food was straight from CANs and bottles. They over-charge - check your check with the menu prices.

Drink:
1. Pina Colada

For starter/ appetizers:
1. Tomato Soup
2. Paneer Tikka (I ordered this from main course as all their appetizers are deep fried items, which are not so good for my arteries)

Main course:
1. Bhindi Masala
2. Malai Kofta

Review:
*Pina Colada: It was like drinking a milk shake with shredded coconut in it, and some pineapple essence. Seriously...it wasn't worth $3.95.
*Tomato Soup: This was tomato puree straight out of can - they heated, or I must say overheated it in microwave that it almost burned my mouth. The smell of preservatives was all over the place. Tomato soup at a $$ place should have atleast some cream in it - this was just tomato puree that could not be prepared with condiments on dinner table.
*Paneer Tikka: This was the best dish. At least Paneer was fresh and the marination sauce was good. 1 star in rating is for that. Ordering this was probably the best decisions I made that night.
*Bhindi Masala: It was more of bell pepper than bhindi (okra). Tasted ok.
*Malai Kofta: I can guarantee that Kota balls were not fresh. Their outer skin was so rubbery, it made it difficult to eat with naan/ roti. The gravy itself was tasteless.

Conditments:
The green chutney they served on table was tasteless, and had no flavor to it. Usually, at any Indian restaurant they will serve mint chutney, but this was straight out of bottle and watery. There was no consistency or flavor to it.

Service & Decor:
Service was so-so. The server over charged me and I showed him the price on his own menu, and he offered to correct it. Ah no, you are caught and you can imagine the look on his face. Decor is dark and dingy. No air flow in restaurant (may be they didn't turn on their air-conditioning) and it felt like choking after an hour.

They may be overcharging customers as who hardly remembers the price and checks against menu.

A few disclaimers:
1. I am a vegetarian
2. I dared to go to a Indian restaurant on weekday for dinner
3. I am Indian - so know Indian food

*I believe people should go to such Indian restaurants only on weekends when they are busy and chefs are forced to prepare fresh food.

This was probably the most horrible food experience of my life for a restaurant which is rated so high in Yelp's rating. I am really surprised on how this restaurant has such a high rating.

• Visited June 2012