“Never what it should be....” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
David Todd's City Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 132 Restaurants in Morristown
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Elm Street
Morristown, New Jersey
“Never what it should be....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

This is the fifth and probably the last time. My husband and I ordered burgers, our son order oysters - which were excellent - and a fish dish. Service was sloooooow, as usual. Super attentive with the water glasses. I was not drinking, but my husband and son ordered cocktails. I wondered if the server had been sipping from them by the time they got to the table. Such tiny pours at such large prices. The hamburgers were fine - certainly not special. I asked for mayonnaise for my burger. By the time it arrived, my burger was stone cold. Two drinks, two wines, oysters, fish and two burgers...$175.00 You have got to be kidding. Such mediocrity for so much money. Never again. I'll pay the extra for Roots and get top notch service and great food.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Paterson, New Jersey
“Little Pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Let me start by saying that the food is excellent and so was the service. I would just be careful what you order as some of the dishes were expensive but I would pick this place over Ruth's Chris any day.

Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
“Service was Superb!! Meals above average but could be better!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We booked a table well in advance of our 8:00pm concert on a Friday night, anticipating a Friday night rush! Arriving at 5:30pm we kept waiting in the lobby because the maitre d was busy on the phone apparently taking a reservation painfully slowly. As others arrived behind us she finished and then brought us to a table by the window. From there on end, the service was superb!! Our server was attentive and never passed our vicinity without glancing over to us to ensure we didn't need anything else! We shared a Short Ribs Pierogi ($12.00) dish which was delightful but the dough was very heavy and went down like a rock. Our entrees were Seared duck Breast ($26.00) and Filet Mignon ($37.00) accompanied by roasted veggies ($6.00) which were outstanding and nicely spiced. The entree however, though good, were not outstanding and to our thinking a bit overpriced. Maybe it's the location as they know they'll have dinner-concert crowds because they are a short walk from the Mayo theater. The wine and beer selections were great!! The coffee - nothing to speak of. In the big picture the service was outstanding but the dinner was not. Wouldn't make this a target for next time unless we're going to the theater again. Walking away after paying a $20.00 tab, I want to feel satisfied not just full. The bar I must say was packed by the time we were leaving so apparently a hot spot for a Friday night!

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Morristown, New Jersey
“Delicious New Year's Eve Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Four of us ate at David Todd's, two of us eating the Coq au vin, one the Duck breast, and one the fish dish of the evening. My husband has had the duck breast twice in a row and found it excellent both times. Our friend loved the Coq au vin, although I found it a bit salty for my palate. Fish was good. Excellent salmon roll appetizer was my choice, and there were two arugula salads, and my husband had the crab cake which he wasn't enthusiastic about. A very busy evening, but service was attentive and very satisfactory. All in all, a restaurant I am happy where I will gladly return.

Visited December 2013
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
“Excellent Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We had a great meal at this place on Saturday night. We were a party of 6 with reservations and were seated promptly on arrival. We had mussels, oysters, and a hummus dish as appetizers. Remark on the oysters were the best ever, mussels did not come with enough bread, but extra was brought. Hummus dish was served with pickled veggies and fruit, different and tasty.

Dinnerss were pork, Louisianna style Red fish, tuna, cod, all were very good Beer selections were good also.

May have been a little costly, but service and food were very good. Restaurant was very crowded also.

• Visited November 2013