“Dissappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
David Todd's City Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 129 restaurants in Morristown
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Elm Street
New York City, New York
“Dissappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I heard good reviews abour this restaurant. So I took out my team for a business dinner. I was so embarassed by the quality of the food and service. We have eaten in many Morristown restaurants over the past few years and I have never been embarassed by my choices in restaurants before. The food was merely average and was priced over what I expected for such quality. Had the pan seared Tuna with risotto. Awful. The quality of the tuna was poor and it was lacking flavor, and the risotto was terrible. Two of my colleague had the Wellington Raviolis....and they found them to be terrible and both complained of the yellow sauce that was put on them. The colleagues who were fortunate to order the filet mignon were satisfied.
Service was not as attentive as they should have been.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

61% Recommend
Chester, New Jersey
“Absolutely Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stumbled upon David Todd's on a cold Saturday night a few weeks ago and was amazed that the wait to get a table was 3 hours! With all of this demand, my interest was peaked and I managed to find myself a place to sit in the bar area.

For drinks, try the Johnny Appleseed Martini or ask the waiter about the beer and wine tasting options. For the starter get the Tuna and Salmon Tartare, for the entre go with the Pork Mignon. This pork dish is value priced and nothing like the hockey pucks mom made back in the 70s!

The quality of the food and service is top knotch, and I will return to David Todd's again soon!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Impressed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We had heard that the food and service at this restaurant weren't t up to scratch, not so!
We had drinks at the bar, followed by dinner. The baked Camemert we shared as a starter was good, my coc au vin was delicious, my husband's chicken supreme was very tender. The portions were very generous so we declined dessert and coffee! Would we return, certainly, if only we had time!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
morristown, nj
“better than reputation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

i have enjoyed the food and love the ambiance at this restaurant both times i've been here. for some reason it does not have a great reputation. it can get noisy, but so can everywhere else. it is stunning, bar is beautiful and food has been fine. Not the absolute most wonderful, but better than average.

Visited June 2012
Montville, New Jersey
“Pleasant Surprise in Morristown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Just dined at David Todd's City Tavern and we were truly impressed. An eclectic menu with some interesting choices. We started off with the Duck Confit Tacos and the Pommes Frittes as appetizers, and both were excellent. The duck tacos had a generous portion of tasty duck meat balanced nicely with the lettuce, apple and tomato. The pommes frittes were perfectlcy done (crisp on the outside and soft on the inside) and came with a tasty cheese dipping sauce. For the main course my wide had Coq au Vin and I had the Veal Cheeks. Both were delicious. The veal cheeks, in a cinnamon-flavored brown sauce, were tender and moist and were accompanied by shitake mushrroms and truffeled pureed parsnips. Everything worked so well together on this plate. The coq au vin was a generous portion, served in a deep bowl with plenty of vegetables and pieces of bread swimming in the flavorful sauce.

We opted to sit in the bar for dinner, which was quiet when we got there. We had an early dinner becuase we were attending a show at the nearby Mayo Performing Arts Center (btw, you get a 10% discount off your bill if you are going to a show at Mayo). Service was attentive and friendly. As the evening and the bar area filled up, it got mouch louder. Still, overall, a great experience and we will definitely go back.

• Visited December 2012