“Lovely hotel, but the finer details let it down.” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   29 Runton Road, Seafront, Cromer NR27 9AS, England   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Cromer
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Leicestershire
“Lovely hotel, but the finer details let it down.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I had a short break at this hotel recently. The staff were really welcoming and couldn't be faulted - especially the housekeepers. The room was lovely (recently refurbished) although I personally do not like the wash hand basin to be separate from the bathroom for hygienic reasons but that is purely a personal preference.

The food was of an excellent quality but again, I feel the finer points let it down somewhat. On paper, the breakfast choice is vast. However, we never got to see any yoghurts or croissants both of which were supposedly available. If they are not available (as we were told on the occasion that we asked) then they should be removed from the menu. The mango orange juice ran out one day and there wasn't any more. Similarly the mango juice ran out on the Tuesday and was still unavailable the following day. Stock control is clearly lacking.

Evening meals were superb, the restaurant being a stunning setting but staff weren't over familiar with the correct protocol of serving. Coffee is served as part of the set menu but this isn't on the evening menu sheet and neither is it offered unless you ask.

I love this hotel and the staff are really friendly and we will definitely visit again. I just hope the finer details are polished so that it can shine to its full potential.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cromer20, Guest Relations Manager at The Cliftonville Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at The Cliftonville. I will look into the 'finer points' you mention and thank you for your comments. The staff strive to provide excellent customer service at all times and we welcome your feed back. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Cliftonville.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

At first sight the hotel looks shabby so the lavish art nouveau reception was a welcome surprise, this must have been special once upon a time, that had faded but not been quite extinguished. The receptionist too harked back to an earlier time and was absolutely charming and welcoming, indeed all the staff were first class.

Nothing gets away though from the hotel being run down. For one night the small single was adequate – it had a sea view, a shower room, a little wardrobe and a tiny table, but the only place to sit was on the bed. The room had been updated, though in a very basic fashion, the art nouveau stopped at the top of the stairs. At least, at half the price of the double, it was far better priced than it would be in most hotels.

However prices are high…..an executive double here is £190 a night, while a few miles along the coast at the Victoria at Holkham, which at least looks top class, charges only £10 more, Wells too looked far more attractive than did Cromer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. As you quite rightly say the Hotel is an old building and as such requires continual refurbishment. As you say, we are currently updating the bedrooms and the Hotel is undergoing a full refurbishment programme. Your comments are very welcome as we always strive to provide excellent value. I also thank you for your comments with regard to the staff who pride themselves in providing excellent customer services. Our charges are in line with the standard Cromer Prices.
Hatfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We both needed a break from the stress of life. On a whim we decided on a weekend by the sea. I wanted to see the sea and all the rooms in the Cliftonville offered sea views, this was my number one priority. My number two priority was character, presuming that any hotel has the necessities for a good night's sleep.
I found both in the Cliftonville. The hotel is located perfectly for sea views and convenience to the amenities of Cromer. Our room was beautiful and comfortable. The Edwardian building had all the character I needed and the welcome friendly and efficient. Breakfast was perfect and not one of the staff let us down.
We had a wonderful stress free weekend and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are glad you enjoyed your short break with us and look forward to welcoming back to the Cliftonville again very soon.
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I have just returned from a short break and it coudn't have been more pleasant. My single executive room was large and very clean with excellent fresh looking decoration.
The hotel's Edwardian vestibule was really welcoming, as were all of the staff.
Breakfast was excellent and there was even gluten-free toast which, I being a Coeliac, was very welcome.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: For a good single room, ask for no 24.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

we booked for three nights but stayed 2, £150 per night is a very high price for a basically run down hotel, I suggest management spot check room cleanliness, ours was not clean, thick dust, dirty mirrors very uncomfortable beds . on a plus food good in Bistro, staff very friendly

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We are currently underdoing a complete refurbishment of all our rooms and continually updating the decoration. We would love to welcome you back to The Cliftonville.
peterborogh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed for 2 days the food was very nice the staff are really nice and good fun.
the bed is not really very soft and the room well very clean but looked tired needs redecorating nice bright colours bed covers old worn I know you don't want to lose the old world charm!! but things do need to be bright and inviting! the bathroom was ok but we had a crow nesting just outside the window not very nice sorry about this review but it has to be said I am sure I will go again but not just yet .keep upgrading its the only way.ps the TVs are to small

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Lichfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed one night in what was described as an Executive Single room. This was a large room that had been divided in half so was long and narrow with only a small gap between the end of the bed and the wall. That wouldn't have mattered until I discovered that the bed was only 5' 9" long and I am 5' 9" tall so spent the night trying to avoid my feet hanging over the end of the bed. The length of the bed wasn't mentioned on booking. The room was clean and if the bed had been long enough, it would have been comfortable, with a view over the bay. It was just as well the heating was on as it was a cold day for June and there were gaps in the windows causing a draught.
The dining experience was depressing. I was shown to a table in an almost empty restaurant behind the door when there were several empty tables in pleasant positions in window bays. When I asked for one of these it was grudgingly agreed to. The food was very nice although not much in the way of locally sourced fish. The whole thing was grossly overpriced when compared to the accommodation I stayed in during the rest of my stay.

Room Tip: Check the length of the bed! Looking from the outside, higher rooms seem to have UPVC double glazed...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your comments. We are currently undergoing a complete refurbishment of the Hotel and will take your comments on board. With regard to the pricing, the prices are in line with the standard prices in Cromer. Thank you for your thoughts.

Been to The Cliftonville Hotel? Share your experiences!