“Worst All Inclusive Hotel in over Twenty Years” 1 of 5 stars

Sunshine Holiday Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kocapirnal Cad 3, Ovacik 48300, Turkey   |
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Ovacik
Surrey
“Worst All Inclusive Hotel in over Twenty Years”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2015

If you are thinking of booking this Hotel please read my review before you do. I have been staying in All Inclusive Hotels for over twenty years and can honestly say this was the worst. The hotel had been newly refurbished so the rooms where very clean.

After reading some of the bad reviews on Tripadvisor, I contacted my travel agent and was assured that the there where no problems at the Hotel, and that everything advertised was up and running.

Firstly the artist impressions of the hotel are very misleading. The entrance to the hotel looks nothing like this, the hotel is on a dirt track road not a tarmac road as shown in the picture. The reception is half the size of the picture and looks nothing like it. The entertainment is non existent, there is no dart board, daytime activities, Turkish nights, belly dancing or any of the entertainment that you would find when going to an All Inclusive hotel. There is no lobby bar, the one bar they have is half finished and situated by the pool with no windows, doors etc. The only toilets are either two floors under the restaurant or by the pool down a large set of stairs both quite a distance in the dark from the bar. There is no supermarket, there are signs in the hotel pointing to one, but it doesn’t exist. The nearest shop is about a ten minute walk, not bad going down but a killer coming back up the hill!

On arrival we asked if anything was still open as we had been travelling since lunchtime, and would like a drink and maybe something to eat. We where advised that everything was closed. The bar manager did very kindly phone a local restaurant Friar Tucks and we where picked up and taken to get food.

We were then shown to our room which was very nice, spacious and overlooked the private pools. The smell of sewage hit us as we walked into the room and this remained the same throughout our stay. The smell appeared to be coming from the drains and an open window in the bathroom. We were unable to close the window but kept the bathroom door closed at all times which helped a bit, but this was unbearable when we had to shower.

We went to breakfast the following morning, I wanted some toast but was informed that the toaster wasn’t working so settled for bread and jam. The toaster worked
Intermittently for the next fourteen days! Along with the fruit juice machine which kept running out of concentrate, which was not replaced once it had run out. The coffee machine was the same, working one minute and not the next.

Lunch mainly consisted of salads and fish which was fine if you liked fish. The food appeared to be put out for 12.00, but was never replenished, once gone it was gone. Nothing was covered over so the hot food went cold.

Dinner was the same, we ended up eating out most nights.

The snack bar - there was more choice for snacks than at lunchtime, but it was all covered in flies and wasps as again no lids on anything! We didn’t eat from here at all.

Ice cream was served between three and four and was very nice.

The hotel had no Ice for four days, every time I asked for ice in my drink I was told the machine had broken and ice was being delivered the next day! On day five and after a lot of complaining the ice finally arrived. The variety of drinks was very poor, however they did serve Efes and also proper coke and lemonade.

The entertainment…..this was non existent. We asked on the first night about the entertainment, and was told by the bar manager that there was no point doing anything as nobody was interested. He said he had tried to hire a belly dancer but she wasn’t prepared to come and dance for 10 people! We said why not get a board an advertise the following evening’s entertainment, he said he had tried that! There was no entertainment of any sort day or night until we asked on the fifth night if we could do some Karaoke. The previous night we entertained ourselves with card games getting the other quests to participate. The following night the bar manager advertised Karaoke, we then had a music quiz and a general knowledge quiz, but these lasted all of 45 minutes. He wasn’t interested in continuing the entertainment with something else because his mobile phone seemed far more interesting! If entertainment is advertised, regardless of the number of people it should be provided.

I also believe that they had a problem with drains and sewage, as when sunbathing the smell was horrendous.

I contacted my Travel agent and the Hotel in August 2014, with my concerns about this hotel. I had read a number of reports on Trip advisor and wanted clarification. I never received a reply from the hotel, but received an email from the travel agent advising that the hotel provider confirmed that everything was as per the website apart from the Gym. Unfortunately this was not the case.

I complained to my representative in resort, and after almost a week and they offered to move us to a hotel where several guests where suffering with tummy bugs. They then offered another hotel but we would have had to pay an additional amount of money. They then said they would give us £131.00, to find our own accommodation. Totally unacceptable for one weeks accommodation with food for two people.

After speaking to people working at the Hotel, we were told that a number of tour operators had pulled out as it hadn't Officially been passed, because it was not up to standard. How true this is I don't know.

I have to say thanks to all the lovely people we met, as we got on and made the best of what we had. (Despite the hotel owners daughter sitting at the bar glaring at us).

If you're looking for a break away with no entertainment and are happy to pay out for taxis then use the hotel as a base. The hotel itself is lovely and clean. The pool and the views are lovely and the price compared to what it was last year has dropped.

Feel free to PM me if you would like any other information.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Turkish first
Greater London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2015

Firstly, we didn’t get a Holiday Rep and when we asked the reception about this, they had no idea why we didn’t have one and I was told to take it up with the company we booked with. The hotel also had no information about local areas or its own facilities, which meant we had to ask other guests – we have never come across a hotel that doesn’t provide this information so this wasn’t a good start.

Next, the awful, inedible food! It was always cold and swimming in grease. There wasn’t much choice and the hotel had always ran out of butter and sauces and refused to get more when asked. Left-over food from one meal was served at the next if it hadn't been consumed. It was so bad we were aware of at least one man who was hospitalised for food poisoning whilst we were staying there. We were too scared or revolted to eat most of the food and lived off the bread (again, no butter!) and soup, if available, or went out for most meals or ordered takeaway (a cost we did not account for on an all-inclusive holiday).

Elements of our all-inclusive package which we did not receive at all included: Ice cream (between 3 and 4pm), a choice of soups (served between 11.30pm and midnight), evening entertainment (there were two quizzes and nothing else!), daily activities.

The hotel only had two bars: one in the restaurant and the other which is by the pool. The majority of the time the bar in the restaurant was closed or they were not serving. I asked for a beer at lunchtime and was told “no it’s finished”, which is shocking for an all-inclusive package holiday with unlimited drinks. I don’t think “no it’s finished” is a good enough excuse and this is just another example of our money being wasted!

Even on the rare occasions it was open, the restaurant bar shut at 9pm which usually isn’t a problem, however we had horrific storms for two days (can’t be helped) but rather than keep the restaurant bar open everyone had to either go back to their room or outside to the pool bar at the bottom of a steep slippery hill. This bar was made of a metal frame with a roof, no walls and a tree going through the middle (very scary and wet to sit in with the storm and lightning) I am sure this is a huge health and safety hazard! The closest toilet was all the way around the other side of the pool, which you had to walk in the storm on a slippery surface to get to. My boyfriend fell down some steps made of marble, hurting his wrist and there wasn’t a warning sign to be seen!

The maids also stole from our room, from tampons to cigarettes make up and loose change, everyone we spoke to had something stolen from their rooms, despite the fact that we were always extremely careful to lock our doors whenever we left. How can a 4 star hotel employ staff that steal?

Most of the staff was very rude and unapproachable. I was actually sitting with a couple when there was a problem and the staff immediately said they couldn’t speak English, even though you could have had a conversation with them (in English) before. They gave extremely poor service, for example they kept all the guests passports on show at the reception desk which is open to anyone walking in with a sign by them saying ‘we are not liable for guests possessions’. When we questioned it they said you are supposed to collect them, but we were never told this! Having rude staff just added to the poor experience and again, for a 4 start hotel is totally unacceptable.

The final straw was our last day at Sunshine Holiday Resort hotel. I booked our transfer for 10pm with the receptionist who we then later checked out with at 12pm (noon). We asked for a courtesy room before we left and they said they do not provide them so we stayed in and around reception and the hotel for hours to look after our luggage! Not really how we wanted to spend our last few hours!

We went for snacks in the restaurant around 3pm and then sat around until dinner time. While walking to the restaurant (around 7:30pm) we went through the reception, as this was one of two very awkward ways of getting to the restaurant, (into reception, out to the front of the hotel down some steps next to an empty 4-5ft deep swimming pool with no barriers and in through some doors). It was at that point the receptionist said he needed to cut off our all-inclusive band and we could not eat or drink anything after checking out (we checked out over seven hours before this and were not told any of this) we thought it was unbelievable and had never had that on an all-inclusive holiday before. When we said that isn’t fair as we then didn’t have time to go into the town for food he said we were offered to extend our room and could then eat and drink but he hadn’t offered this!

He gave up and let us go to the restaurant for dinner but we noticed he sent another receptionist to watch us! This was very uncomfortable! He waited for us to finish our plate, came over to our table and said “that will cost you 20 Lira.” We were in shock and went straight to reception where he was looking very smug. We were very upset and angry and he seemed too kept provoking us to get angrier. He said things like ‘All inclusive starts when you take off from England and finishes when you check out at 12’. When we asked why he let us go for snacks and not stop us then he said he hadn’t seen us all day and thought we had gone out. We pointed out that we that we had even been sitting in reception with him and to which he replied ‘don’t understand’.

I asked what their policy is when guests check out and he said they take the all-inclusive wrist band and stop people from using the facilities, but when I asked why did they not do that to us, he said he was doing us a favour? It’s not really a favour letting us use the facilities and then charging us for it! I also asked why we were not given the opportunity or informed of the opportunity to extend our room; he said he cannot tell every guest that check out because there are so many people checking out. I was so disgusted and shocked and I asked for his name to make a complaint which he didn’t want to give me. He told me not to make things harder for myself which I took as a threat. I asked again and again to write down his name which he then gave me a piece of paper and a pen and said he is not obliged to right his name and told me to write it myself but wouldn’t spell it. After asking again he sounded it out then spelt it wrong. I asked for identification, which I think they should have working in a 4 star hotel and again I was threatened with “you’re going to make things hard for myself” and then threatened to kick us out of the hotel before our transfer got there.

It was a really scary and upsetting experience being in the middle of nowhere in a foreign country. We had to leave it there so got our suitcase and went to sit in the restaurant to wait for our transfer. He then told us we were not allowed to take our suitcase with us. We argued the fact they were our personal possessions and we have every right to have them with us but he came out with the same threat ‘don’t make it hard for yourself’. Thankfully a couple that we had met walked into the reception at this point and offered for us to put our luggage in their room.

We and other people we met spent a lot of the holiday desperate to get home! I have never experienced such rude staff and poorly ran hotel. I highly recommend never going to this Hotel! The shame is I don’t think the owner actually knows how his staffs are running it. This holiday has put me off returning to Turkey which is a shame as it is a beautiful country and the people are usually lovely!

Newton-le-Willows, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2014

We stayed October for10 nights and were not disappointed in rooms which by Turkey standards are excellent and kept very clean. Overall, however, do not think we would return to this hotel as very limited in it's fully inclusive provision particularly with regards to:

food - very limited in choice, quality and quantity with canteen environment
bar - outside pool location down steep steps and in wet conditions quite dangerous
pool - extremely cold - first time ever on holiday that we have been unable to use hotel pool
facilities/entertainment - none (spa closed and even table tennis table removed!)

The hotel has fantastic views and could have so much going for it. Staff wise you need more people like Sammy

wigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2014

we stayed here in September for 10 nights. We arrived at 12 midnight we was shown to our room wich was a swim up pool room this was very nice we could not complan. So we whent to the bar for a drink and because it was after 12 we had to pay this was ok ... But after travling all day it would have been nice to get something to eat and a drink .. So we when back to our room and there was tea making so we had a coffee with the bottled water in the fridge we thought it would be restocked the next day xx wrong you only got 2 bottles of water for you hole stay and you had to keep filling them up from the water machines ( 4 in all ) around the hotel.. Which was a pain. This is not alli inclusive.. This hotel is on a hill so it is quite and 15 min walk to shop and the bus stop we liked this best of both worlds . The FOOD was shocking cold at dinner time it is realy bad we only when a few times then give up and walked to town to eat . The staff was lovely and couldn't do anoth to help then cleaners was realy good happy and always a fendly hello .. Around the pool areas they could have done with a wash down every day but nobody did.. This hotel could be a little gold mine if it was run properly and if it was I would defently go back need more staff and the food sorting out and a proper management the hotel is stunning just need tweaking

Room Tip: Swim up pool was very nice x
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2014

I stayed here for a week with my elderly parents and sister, I found the room clean, regular maid service.
On arrival the pool water was green, which was rectified with a couple of days, the food was poor, limited choice and always cold, for breakfast my usual breakfast omlette was not always available. The drinks were limited to beer, vodka, brandy, wine, gin, the barman kept darting off, even though no-one was ever really at the bar, you still would be waiting, also we found him a bit rude. The nearest shop was about 6 minutes away down the hill, a bit further down and there was some restaurants, with some decent food and english breakfast. There was no nightlife at all, you had to get a taxi into Hisaronu, btw the cab drivers make their own prices up I would not return to this hotel.
There was no authentic Turkish food at this hotel as mentioned in a previous review, I only wish there was as I love turkish food.

Room Tip: swim up rooms looked nice
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
stoke on trent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2014

We returned yesterday from a week at this hotel, the rooms were spotlessly clean as was the hotel, the view of the mountains is magnificent. However thats were the positives end, the food is always lukewarm and swimming in grease. the choice is very minimal and if the run out of something you can't have anymore this includes basics like butter and sauces, we initially thought they may have run out due to it being the end of the season, this was not the case as the next meal time there was more. One guy asked for a beer at lunchtime and was told no it had finished, which is shocking for an all inclusive. the bar area was empty as were the fridges. All the food from one meal was served at the next if it hadn't been consumed.Most people ate out or ordered takeaway due to the poor quality of the food.
some of the staff are very rude and make it apparent that they don't like the english, i was actually told this by one of the reception staff in front of other guests also, if there is a problem they immediately say they cannot understand you. The maids stole from everyone from tampons to cigarettes make up and loose change, everyone we spoke to had something stolen from their rooms. This could potentially be a good hotel if the staff were given adequate hospitality training. It is on a mountain side and a long trek from town but they do provide a shuttle bus to olu deniz it then returns at 5 pm.
They only have two bars one in the restaurant and the other which is by the pool , the restaurant bar shuts at 9 which usually isnt a problem, however we had horrific storms for 2 days and rather than keep the restaurant bar open everyone had to either go to their room or the pool bar, it was disgusting one poor women went flying due to the floor been so slippy. I would read all the reviews and dont take them with a pinch of salt as we did because they are true, its not just people having a moan.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2014

just returned from the sunshine holiday resort yesterday, the hotel is situated at the foot of the mountains reached by a very steep hill which is definately not suited to the elderly or disabled , my wife and i are in our 50s and we struggled to get back up the hill.
the hotel itself is very modern, spotlessly clean, the rooms are nice and modern and very spacious. now for the negatives,
first of all we were checked in around 11.00pm , there was no food available after over 6 hours of travelling, we were told that they had stopped the midnight soup at the beginning of october.
we put the cases in our room and went downhill to the poolbar for a last drink before 12.00am when the bar closed, we were met by a miserable barman who never interacted with us whilst reluctantly serving us a drink
. the next day we went down for breakfast and was met by the same miserable staff.
the food itself was very very minimal and carried on for the rest of the week, and cold most of the time with no microwave.
the hotel just seemed to have no character and just seemed lifeless, there was no entertainment during the day besides a table tennis table and a free pool table, the only entertainment in the evening that we had in the whole week was 2 quiz nights a 1 bingo night.
we were told that for the previous 3 weeks before we arrived there was no entertainment at all.
i would not recommend this hotel for familes or even couples come to that.
if you like any sort of life in a hotel then please do yourself a favour and go elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunshine Holiday Resort? Share your experiences!