“Well worth a visit.....but” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Argentinean
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
London, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit.....but”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Four of us went for dinner on a Friday in October. I was glad I had booked as the restaurant was full and we had to park in the street outside. The welcome was excellent and we were shown to a good table inside, having had a thought about eating outside (it was a little chilly). We ordered a bottle of the house red and a bottle of house white. Both were very reasonable quality and at 12€ per bottle were not expensive. Two of us had the "menu del noche" which comprised a starter, a main course and a dessert priced according to the main dish. My partner and I went "a la carte".

There was a small bowl of broth as an "amuse guele". The starters were not as good as they should have been. The albondigas (meat balls) were disappointing, the grilled Chorizo turned out to be 2 pork sausages and the Camembert Surprise was cold in the middle (possibly that was the surprise). This was followed by a small raspberry sorbet to cleanse the palate.

The large steaks were excellent. I had a huge T-bone which arrived rare as ordered, the two rib-eye steaks were also delicious and my partner had the Grilled Emperador which was very tasty . There were plenty of vegetables, though chips are a side dish.

The "a la carte couple" were so full they eschewed a dessert, but the other couple had a "tarta de whiskey" (on request a load of whiskey was poured over the top) and a creme caramel. These were standard quality. These were followed by coffee.

At €117 for four excluding tip, the restaurant is not cheap, but the steaks were well worth the money, the ambience and service could not be faulted and the toilets were spotless. On a price/value comparison, the bill was reasonable. I shall certainly eat there again.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

91% Recommend
Javea, Spain
“Up Market Restuarant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Really up market restaurant, staff are brilliant, menu change once a week so you are always in for a wonderful surprise price between 16-20 euro and plenty of space in their car-park

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Great food at El Gaucho”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful meal at El Gaucho restaurant in Javea. Food, service and ambience were all excellent, and given the quality of the food, the prices were reasonable. We would thoroughly recommend El Gaucho for couples, families and groups of friends.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Alicante, Spain
“Good cowboy food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Exciting place with attentive staff and excellent steaks a good boys night out.
A bit out of the way and located in the campo but worth a visit.

Visited July 2013
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Disappointing steak.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

After being recommened for the steak by a couple we met while eating in Javea and reading all the fantastic comments here about the seaks my husband was disappointed with his rib eye steak. He had better at the Arena Bar in Denia and nothing has lived up to the one he had at Cafe Rouge back home in Wokingham,

Having said that the rest of the meal was excellent except the veg could have been cooked a little more. I'm all for "al dente" veg but these were nearly raw. Nice mixture and presented in an orange Le Creuset casserole.

The salad starters we chose were both beautifully presented and quite large for us. They were flexible enough to let me substitute the mango, melon and serrano salad as a starter on the Menu De Noche insted of the other choices. It was delicious.

Almost immediately after that they served the palate cleanser and we had hardly finished that and they served the main course. We could have done with more time between courses to let it go down.

I chose the slow cooked oxtail for my main course as I have not had oxtail for years. It was cetainly tender, just falling off the bone as it should be but did not have a lot of flavour.

Not sure if we will give it another try or not. I think I would try the Sea Bass wrapped in banana leaves if it's still on the menu when we return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere