“Clean standard lodging typical of a Sleep Inn” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Frederick
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Clean standard lodging typical of a Sleep Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

This is a very clean hotel and the front desk staff were very accommodating. Overall a nice hotel but not luxurious. They provide the absolute minimum number of towels and they are quite thin. Sheets were also quite thin. However everything was very clean which is important. The breakfast room was the smallest I have ever seen. A selection of cold cereal, bread, bagels, and pastries. And as many hard boiled eggs as you could eat. Quite good coffee and juices were available. There were apples, and oranges were brought out on request. Free wi-fi was also appreciated. The maid was banging on my door at 9 am totally ignoring my do not disturb sign though!

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Not a fancy hotel by any means but it is clean and gives you a place to stay for the night. Pillows are uncomfortable though.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I had a decent stay at the sleep inn on May 26 but totally forgot 2 personal items (phone chargers). The staff had indeed found my items but when I requested them to be sent to me, I was told to call the mailing company for the charge, which exceeded the cost of new chargers. I know for a fact thought experience that any of the Marriott chain hotels mail items back to the owners with no charge. Sleep Inn lacks in customer service.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Very clean, very neat, very quiet. Exit off Route 270, turn by the Sheetz gas station, and keep going straight. Drive past the little Francis Scott Key Mall and go all the way back. It's tucked in quietly after all the retail. You are only 50 minutes to an hour away from D.C. if you drive, or you can drive to the Shady Grove station and pick up the Metro Red line, it's less than $5.00 to leave your car there all day.

Along with the quiet there is morning breakfast, you can eat on tables outside.

The desk staff does not change over. I have been staying here off and on for three years and they always remember me.

There is a computer downstairs for general use but the connection is very slow. There are not many television channels but I'm here for a cheap clean quiet safe place to sleep when I'm near D.C. so I don't care about that.

Oh--and I'm a single female and usually travel alone, so safe is important to me. You and your car will be safe here.

Sleep Inns are part of the Choice group of hotels so often they'll run specials about staying a night or two and getting a free night, so be alert for those.

Many places to eat in the area. You can walk to Golden Corral as the closest but many more are very close, including Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, on and on, and of course the little strip mall up the street. Frederick has everything you need on this little stretch off and on Route 85 and you can easily get to D.C. What more can you ask?

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Valparaiso, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Sleep Inn has always been known as a good value with modest but functional furnishings. This suburban Washington DC property meets both criteria nicely. My family and I stayed four nights during a spring vacation at the nation's capital and enjoyed good beds each night and warm showers each morning. (Sleep Inn properties do not include baths.)
This hotel is 25 miles from the end of the Metro Rail's Red Line (Shady Grove station). That's a 30-minute drive to the Shady Grove station where you can park your car for a nominal $4.75 all day, and then 35 minutes more into Metro Center. So for a little more than one hour commute , you arrive downtown without worrying about parking and congestion, ready to tour the Washington monuments, museums, and the US Capitol. At the same time we avoided downtown and close by suburban hotels that cost two to three times as much each night.
This is also a great location because within three blocks you can dine at Ruby Tuesday, Red Robin, Applebees, Cracker Barrel, Golden Corral and PIzza Hut. (The last two are in walking distance). There's also a Mexican restaurant, a Chinese restaurant, as well as Roy Rogers, Wendy's, Burger King, and MickeyD's.
The morning continental breakfast includes pastries, boiled eggs, minidonuts, coffee, milk, juice, apples and oranges. Pretty sparse, and my wife, who enjoys bananas, was surprised to find none there. We ate all our breakfasts outside the hotel.
The hotel is well kept inside and out, and like most Sleep Inns, does not have a swimming pool. That shouldn't matter if you spend the day touring DC and come back late at night tired, ready to relax in front of the TV (25 inch with good picture and lots of cable stations including ESPN and ESPN2).
With advance purchase we paid $60 a night before taxes (AAA rate is only $67), a great rate for a day in DC to look at the cherry blossoms of spring and see America's capital in all her glory.
Avoid: Double T Diner, another nearby restaurant, for breakfast. We were told they give generous portions. that's true, but the scrambled eggs were tastless, according to two members of our family who love scrambled eggs, and the two sausage links were huge and overplump and turned off our oldest son who likes standard size links.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Annandale, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

I stayed here December 13, 2011 for one night. I had never been here before and noticed it got good reviews so decided to give it a chance. I was traveling alone so wanted a place that was clean and safe for single female travelers. I want to give this place four or five stars, I really do, but it needs some small improvements, some things that could be avoided in the first place. First, the good things. The hotel appears to be fairly new, it is clean and neat; my room was immaculate. The bed was comfortable and it was very quiet. I did not hear anyone walking above me or next to my room. The front desk staff, although very young, was very pleasant and helpful. All staff that I encountered at the hotel were very friendly. The location is excellent, about a 10 minute drive to historic downtown Frederick (a most charming colonial town with quaint shops and restaurants and a fabulous visitor's center). The hotel sits across the street from the Francis Scott Key Mall, walking distance to good restaurants like the Double T diner and Bob Evans, and plenty of parking. The Mall has three big anchor stores: JC Penneys, Sears and Macy's.

Here are the things that need improvement: the room that was given to me first had a toilet that ran all the time. I would think the people that stayed there before me would have reported it, or at the very least, the cleaning staff. I reported it, and they promptly gave me another room. I will say the man at the front desk went up immediately to try to fix the toilet. I don't know if he got it fixed, I moved my bags to the room next door--or tried to. The key card that the front desk gave me to my second room did not work. So I had to go downstairs again and have a new key card made. The front desk staff had some trouble getting the key made. So between the bad toilet and trying to get in my new room, this wasted about 20 minutes or more of my time. Finally, they got a key that worked. When I entered the room, I noticed there was no shampoo in the bathroom. I had my own, so not that big a deal and I know the staff would have promptly given me some had I asked, but it is a simple thing that should have been taken care of beforehand. I think all rooms should be checked before people are placed in them, to check for supplies, running toilets, etc. The bed was comfortable but the blanket was very thin. Hey, it gets cold in Frederick (it's near the mountains) in December. I like a cooler room and a thick blanket myself. The TV channel selection was disappointing. It is an older model (not flat screen) and gets very few channels. Most hotels get quite a few channels. This one only got local channels and a few cable ones, not ones that I particularly watch, may I add. They did get HBO. Could not find list of channels in room. A card was supposed to be in the hotel room binder, but it was missing. The breakfast was very disappointing. Most of these breakfast in hotel places usually at least have waffles you can make on your own. No waffles, just bagels, muffins, fruit and instant oatmeal and juices and coffee. Not much of a breakfast. I'd advise eating at Bob Evans for a great breakfast right up the street. But, for $75 a night (senior rate) I would expect a better breakfast, better TV selection and no glitches in getting into my room, no running toilets, and a full counter of bathroom supplies. So, sorry, folks, have to give you only three stars on this one. But I would stay there again. I slept terrific, it was quiet, clean, neat, and safe, and the staff was most friendly, and those are the most important things to me.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

if you travel on business a lot forget this place. the internet is slower than 1999 dial up. a 3 minute you tube video took 20 minutes to download. sometimes the download would just stop and never complete. aside from that i had work to do that required an adequate wifi connection. the icing on the cake is that they only have 12 useable tv channels including the riveting QVC channel and so forth. there's some other channels like the local community events where you can get info on the next pancake feed at the firehouse etc. one channel is repeated 3 times so you can click thru dr phil 3 times. great. the hotel i switched to, $5 less a night, has 70 channels. bingo. so this hotel loses the chunk of the 35 grand i spend a year, for 13 years. smarten up. also, the windows don't open. no fresh air. with temps in the 40's outside i had to run the ac all night. wonderful for the environment. i wonder what an air quality check of this building would reveal. buh bye.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to Sleep Inn? Share your experiences!