“Nice, clean place to stay, but needs some small improvements” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #11 of 21 hotels in Frederick
Annandale, Virginia
“Nice, clean place to stay, but needs some small improvements”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

I stayed here December 13, 2011 for one night. I had never been here before and noticed it got good reviews so decided to give it a chance. I was traveling alone so wanted a place that was clean and safe for single female travelers. I want to give this place four or five stars, I really do, but it needs some small improvements, some things that could be avoided in the first place. First, the good things. The hotel appears to be fairly new, it is clean and neat; my room was immaculate. The bed was comfortable and it was very quiet. I did not hear anyone walking above me or next to my room. The front desk staff, although very young, was very pleasant and helpful. All staff that I encountered at the hotel were very friendly. The location is excellent, about a 10 minute drive to historic downtown Frederick (a most charming colonial town with quaint shops and restaurants and a fabulous visitor's center). The hotel sits across the street from the Francis Scott Key Mall, walking distance to good restaurants like the Double T diner and Bob Evans, and plenty of parking. The Mall has three big anchor stores: JC Penneys, Sears and Macy's.

Here are the things that need improvement: the room that was given to me first had a toilet that ran all the time. I would think the people that stayed there before me would have reported it, or at the very least, the cleaning staff. I reported it, and they promptly gave me another room. I will say the man at the front desk went up immediately to try to fix the toilet. I don't know if he got it fixed, I moved my bags to the room next door--or tried to. The key card that the front desk gave me to my second room did not work. So I had to go downstairs again and have a new key card made. The front desk staff had some trouble getting the key made. So between the bad toilet and trying to get in my new room, this wasted about 20 minutes or more of my time. Finally, they got a key that worked. When I entered the room, I noticed there was no shampoo in the bathroom. I had my own, so not that big a deal and I know the staff would have promptly given me some had I asked, but it is a simple thing that should have been taken care of beforehand. I think all rooms should be checked before people are placed in them, to check for supplies, running toilets, etc. The bed was comfortable but the blanket was very thin. Hey, it gets cold in Frederick (it's near the mountains) in December. I like a cooler room and a thick blanket myself. The TV channel selection was disappointing. It is an older model (not flat screen) and gets very few channels. Most hotels get quite a few channels. This one only got local channels and a few cable ones, not ones that I particularly watch, may I add. They did get HBO. Could not find list of channels in room. A card was supposed to be in the hotel room binder, but it was missing. The breakfast was very disappointing. Most of these breakfast in hotel places usually at least have waffles you can make on your own. No waffles, just bagels, muffins, fruit and instant oatmeal and juices and coffee. Not much of a breakfast. I'd advise eating at Bob Evans for a great breakfast right up the street. But, for $75 a night (senior rate) I would expect a better breakfast, better TV selection and no glitches in getting into my room, no running toilets, and a full counter of bathroom supplies. So, sorry, folks, have to give you only three stars on this one. But I would stay there again. I slept terrific, it was quiet, clean, neat, and safe, and the staff was most friendly, and those are the most important things to me.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

if you travel on business a lot forget this place. the internet is slower than 1999 dial up. a 3 minute you tube video took 20 minutes to download. sometimes the download would just stop and never complete. aside from that i had work to do that required an adequate wifi connection. the icing on the cake is that they only have 12 useable tv channels including the riveting QVC channel and so forth. there's some other channels like the local community events where you can get info on the next pancake feed at the firehouse etc. one channel is repeated 3 times so you can click thru dr phil 3 times. great. the hotel i switched to, $5 less a night, has 70 channels. bingo. so this hotel loses the chunk of the 35 grand i spend a year, for 13 years. smarten up. also, the windows don't open. no fresh air. with temps in the 40's outside i had to run the ac all night. wonderful for the environment. i wonder what an air quality check of this building would reveal. buh bye.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

Sleep Inn will get it done on the whole but needs a bit of improvement here and there.

Room does smell fresh and is clean, both the bath and bed area.( I always get a non-smoking unit.) King bed is comfy and not too hard. Like the lighting and layout with the micro and refrigerator. Wireless is fast enough, desk is sufficient.

Staff is cordial and helpful with good local knowledge of restaurants, etc.
No Pool/Spa.

Restaurants aplenty very near, plus a full-sized mall for shopping. Home Depot & Lowe's are also right there for trades people. Looks like a brew pub east across the main street (!).

Areas for improvement:
Breakfast.... just the basics, nothing hot except for coffee. No quick oatmeal either. Meh...
Television... pathetic channel selection, all cable basic with plenty of duplicates. Std Definition, too.
Couple of room supplies lacking, front desk readily supplied. No big deal.

Would I stay there again ? Yes.
/Must Rest Soon

Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Pelham, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

We recently did a Civil War battle site tour, of Gettysburg, Antietam, and Harpers Ferry and this Sleep Inn was ideally located. The room was clean, but a little small, but being on the go it was more than sufficient. The maid staff was excellent, but the breakfast was substandard, as far as those typical hotel breakfasts go. All things considered it was well worth the money.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

The Sleep Inn was great. The room smelled nice and it was clean and well cared for. We had a microwave and a fridge. The sink was outside the bathroom/shower. We like that arrangement as it allows more flexibility for a couple cleaning up. The walk in shower enclosure was nicer than the typical tub/shower combo. The location was easy - near the mall and close to downtown and Hood College. We will return.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed her one night. The location is in a shopping and restaurant area so provided us many options for dining. The room was very clean; the bed comfortable. This hotel is a great option for travelers on a budget.

Room Tip: request the top floor-very quiet
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed at the Sleep Inn for two nights during a trip to nearby Hollywood Casino. The hotel was next to a major shopping mall and close to restaurants. The room was very comfortable with a mini refrigerator and sitting area. The beds were comfortable, the room was clean, and the service staff very helpful.

Room Tip: Book early when there are events int e area. Hotels fill up quickly.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sleep Inn? Share your experiences!