“Clean and Comfortable; Overall Pleasant Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #6 of 21 hotels in Frederick
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
“Clean and Comfortable; Overall Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

This hotel was very clean and it had all the basic amenities I needed for my three night stay and more such as a breakfast buffet and complimentary hygiene accessories. The bed was comfortable and I had no problems with it and the wireless internet worked well although it was slower when viewing videos, which is not a surprise because wireless is slower than wired internet access. The location of the hotel is very good because it is on a major road and there are a lot of points of interest around it such as restaurants, shopping centers, a mall (Francis Scott Key Mall), etc, and many more. It is also close to tourist attractions such as Harpers Ferry National Historical Park and is relatively close to Virginia's Shenandoah Valley, which contains many great nature oriented attractions such as Skyline and Luray Caverns. If you find yourself at the hotel and you want to plan some day trips and you do not really know the area too well, you will be in luck because like most hotels, it does have pamphlets that advertise various attractions in the area and there are also coupons for some attractions such as Skyline Caverns to help save some money. If you are planning to do some sightseeing, I would still look before heading to the hotel to get an idea of what I would want to see.

One of my favorite amenities was the breakfast that was included, and they certainly do not skimp on the quality of the food. It is a buffet and they have different food almost every day. My personal favorite was the scrambled eggs and bacon, which I found to taste great and the coffee was my favorite thing to drink even when it was over 95 degrees outside and humid. One small issue I had with the breakfast, though, was that in my last two days of staying, the juices (cranberry, orange, apple) tasted watery and the flavor was somehow lost. Despite that, I mostly drank coffee and I was satisfied with that along with all of the food featured there.

The front desk staff was great and was helpful in getting me accommodated. One issue I was having was that my alarm clock was still ringing even after I pressed the snooze button. Even after unplugging it, it wouldn't stop ringing, and thankfully, the front desk had someone reset it and after that, I no longer had that problem. It also seemed like there was an issue with the elevator when I saw that a note said it wasn't able to go onto a certain floor, but it still worked fine.

The fitness center was small, but it did it's job when I used it. It had some treadmills along with an elliptical machine. I don't remember there being weights although the fitness center would be perfect if it was expanded and had more of a variety of workout equipment. It did also have free water and it was open to hotel guests; you would use your room key card to enter. From my experiences, I can compare this Hampton Inn to a SpringHill Suites (another 3-star chain) that I stayed at in Alexandria, VA, and I would say that both are great choices, although I would give SpringHill Suites an edge because it's more hotel for the money if you do not include the pool. The main advantage SpringHill Suites had is that the fitness center was much larger and had a wider array of equipment for working out and at the same time, it felt more like an apartment because the rooms were also a good deal larger and had couches. I would also say that SpringHill Suites is more for business travelers while Hampton Inn is more for families or couples, especially with there being an outdoor swimming pool, which are always great for those with children, as I always enjoyed swimming pools when I was younger. This Hampton Inn has been a great hotel overall and it is one I would recommend, but whichever hotel in this class is best for you depends on what extra amenities are most important for you to have (pool, business center, etc.).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
MichelleGuests, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Frederick, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you for your detailed review of your recent stay at the Hampton Inn Frederick. We were so happy to read that you enjoyed the clean and comfortable accommodations, our friendly staff as well as the complimentary hot breakfast buffet in the morning. We believe in giving our guests a great start to their day by offering them a quality breakfast featuring a great selection of food/beverage. We appreciate your honest feedback regarding the juice, we will check our juice dispenser to ensure that it is operating properly.

Thank you for providing other travelers with such great information about our proximity to local attractions and great day trip options such as Shenandoah National Park and Luray Caverns. Frederick is also a great destination for Civil War history buffs – as we are a close drive to both Gettysburg and Antietam.

We are pleased to share with you that we are in the process of upgrading our complimentary internet service - which we anticipate will provide faster speed for our guests streaming video. In the next month, we will also begin an upgrade of our fitness room – which will provide both an expanded space and a wider variety of equipment.

Again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience with others on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Frederick, MD.

311 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Urbana, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

The storm was referred to as "Epic" on WUSA TV9 news. It took power out all over the northeast. We usually tought it out when our power goes out, but with our grandson (11 months old) being here, we had to get him somewhere with air conditioning. From the front desk staff, to the very polite general cleaning man, to the breasfast staff, everyone was wonderful. The room was perfectly cleaned. There were several other rooms with people whos power was out, too. They were also very happy. Oh, and breakfast was delicious and hot with lots of choices.

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

There are so many wonderful things about this hotel, I may not have room to list them all! First and foremost are the people who work here. From the morning breakfast staff (breakfast is complimentary), to the front desk personnel, to the delightful housekeeping staff, this hotel is consistent with a top notch, caring staff throughout. This goes all the way to the manager, who went out of her way to accomodate some unique business needs I had. The manager was highly visible during my stay and her friendly, hands-on manner was so refreshing, It is easy to see where the staff gets their wonderful attitudes from. To say I was imressed is an understatement. My room was very nice and immacuate. The king-sized bed I had was so comfortable, and was made with with linens that felt luxurious! The bathroom had an aestically pleasing vanity with granite. As a business traveler with a multi-day stay, what I found very helpful was the larger-sized refrigerator that kept everything ice cold. A microwave came in useful as well. The location is ideal, with close proximity to major roads and interstates. Many popular restaurants and a good-sized mall are within a few minutes drive. In addition to being a great place to stay for business travel, I observed many happy families staying here as well. I highly recommend this hotel and look forward to staying here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Killeen, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I travel to many places in the U.S. for work...Wisconsin, Colorado, Kansas etc....this hotel is among the best I have stayed in...in years!!! The rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and effecient. Even during a mechanical mishap with their elevators...the manager and her staff handled the situation with professionalism and smiles. I simply love this place. It felt like home away from home- not to mention the fun and lively Pastimes lounge conveniently connected to hotel!!!
I look forward to going to my company's headquarters anytime....only if I am able to stay there during my visit!!! Thanks, Hampton's Inn for the enjoyable stay!!! Kudos to the General Manager, Yolanda- and her awesome and energetic staff- especially, Charles @ the front desk.

Room Tip: They have breakfast food for all types. The food is always hot, fresh, delicious, AND healthy!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Looked like a great location. Often stay at Hampton Inns. Husband checked in, went to room, all seemed fine until he spotted bedbug on his arm.

Picked up bags and went immediately to front desk and told them of situation and checked out.

• Stayed July 2012
MichelleGuests, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Frederick, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
All guest concerns and feedback are taken very seriously by our employees and management staff at the hotel.

Upon speaking to you when you checked out, we immediately took this room out of service and called our professional pest extermination company to investigate the room. We received a service report from them that there was no evidence of any bed bugs or previous bed bug activity in that room. We also kept the bug that you brought down to us and had the pest company look at the bug. They confirmed that this was Not a bed bug – it was from the gnat family.

We understand that because of the publicity regarding bed bugs that travelers are very cautious. We hope that you will stay with us during your next visit to Frederick, MD.
Bowie, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

This review is long overdue! The Hampton Inn gets an A+ in service.

Frederick is our town of choice for a quick getaway. We’ve pretty much stayed in all of the hotels which are right off I270 and Buckeystown Pike. I can honestly say we’ve been impressed with each of them. It’s almost as though each hotel has tried to outdo the other to impress us.

The Hampton Inn impressed me because of its staff. They greeted us with smiles, check-in was one of the easiest I’ve ever experienced AND most importantly, they were amazing with putting things in order when our room wasn’t up to our satisfaction. They volunteered a room change without me even asking for one, then arranged to have our luggage moved to the new room.

I want to especially laud General Manager Yolanda Gainey. She proved that she has the correct title; I’ve never seen anyone take control of our situation with such military precision. And she maintained her still calm and professionalism throughout.

The amenities are impressive, including an on-site nightclub with live dj (the reason we chose Hampton this time), outdoor pool, free in-room wifi, lobby internet access and free breakfast.

I don’t have to make this a long review. They’ll be seeing us at the Hampton again soon.

Room Tip: Allows smoking on certain floors
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We lost power at home and needed a hotel for a week until our electricity was restored. The Hampton Inn experience was great. The staff, from desk clerks to service staff and hotel manager, was very helpful. The hotel satisfied all our needs and was in a great location for stores, restaurants and major highways.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn Frederick? Share your experiences!