“great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 21 hotels in Frederick
Hudson, New York
“great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

my niece and myself stayed @ this motel on July 3rd 2013 and the room was great. very large room and it was clean! had new sheets and blankets on the bed, and the staff was awesome not to mention very friendly :) i would recommend my friends to this motel. the pool was clean and looked nice but sadly we didn't have time to swim :( and there was plenty of shopping and places to eat very close by.....
wish we could of gotten a room for our next trip to Gettysburg august 9th 2013 but its all good there is always next year :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Most of my experiences at M6 have been dismal so I used a "guest certificate" at this property for one night and was so happy and impressed that I PAID to book a second night. The desk staff (females) are so helpful, friendly and professional. Finally, M6 room that was spotless clean, in working order and although furniture was lacking (no desk or chair) -- the bed was very comfortable. The only problem on this stay was my second paid night ... the internet went down after a storm and the desk (male) attendant didn't want to help fix the router nor attempted to compensate in some way for the inconvenience. I had to ask for access code renewal. Lots of good shopping and even a movie theater across the parking lot. I will return here!

Room Tip: Upper floors better... be careful, so long-term guests are there with children and it can get noisy.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Wadsworth, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was a stop over on our road trip. our room was freshly painted and new wood/ laminate floors. It looked and smelled very nice! When brushing our teeth we notice hair and who knows what else under the rim of the sink and the bath room was a bit funky, but other than those minor issues it was a great stopover.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
jerrid96
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We requested a first floor king, non smoking. We arrived 20 minutes prior to check-in time. We were on our way to an event and just wanted to get the keys so we could go straight to the room after the event. The manager said that the room we were assigned was just released by the contractor that morning and he wanted time to inspect the room, so we couldn't go in until after 6:30. He offered to move us to the second floor, but that wasn't necessary since we knew we wouldn't be back from the event until much later.

We made it back around 9:30 PM and went straight to our room. After setting up the event in 90 degree weather and not having had anything to eat since lunch, all we wanted to do was order a pizza, take a shower and relax watching tv. When I flipped the light switch, no lights. Found the lamp in the dark and turned it on. The tv turned on, but there was no cable. The remote did not work, either. And when we attempted to call the front desk, neither did the phone. As it turns out, the phone wasn't plugged into the jack and the cable wasn't plugged into the tv, although plugging them in did not remedy the problems...they still didn't work. Not to mention that there was dust from the remodel all over the place and paint still splattered on the sink. The roll of toilet paper on the holder was splattered on one end with brown liquid. My husband called the front desk from his cell. After some back and forth, the desk clerk's only solution offered was to move us to a double room on the second floor. In the frustration of getting into the room and trying to get things to work, a soda was spilled on the bed. I felt bad about that and we figured at least we were on the first floor with a king bed, so we said we'd stay where we were for the night as long as the manager called us and the tv was taken care of the next day. I washed out the spill in the sink, then we headed down to the front desk to get new bedding.

On the way down, we bumped into the manager who asked how things were going. When told of the problems, he went to the front desk with my husband. When my husband indicated it didn't matter if it were a smoking room, the manager asked the front desk clerk to look at first floor rooms 102 or 104. The clerk gave my husband a key for room 138 for us to check out. In hindsight, this really felt like it was done intentionally by the clerk.

When we walked into 138, a double, there was a strong odor that burned my eyes and nose. The heat was on in the room and my husband insisted it was just a strong cleaner. I thought otherwise, but thought perhaps it would air out once the heat was off. Everything worked in this room, but there was no tv remote and we couldn't figure out how to change the channels on the flat screen (ours at home has the usual channel/volume buttons, this one did not). We called down to the front desk and said we'd move to this room, but advised there was no remote and asked if they have any extras. He said they did. An hour and about 8 remotes later (half of which had dead batteries), we still did not have a remote and the clerk had been advised we couldn't figure out how to change channels without one. My husband called the manager's number listed on his business card. The manager said he'd have the front desk clerk take a remote from a different room with a flat screen, and he was sure to say that he had been working since 9:30 that morning. It was very clear he didn't want bothered. We had been on the go since about the same time - and is it really too much to ask to be able to enjoy the sparse amenities we are paying for?

We ended up leaving the hotel at 11 PM to get dinner out and give the room a chance to air out. We returned at 12:45 AM to a still reeking room and no remote. We did, however, finally figure out how to change the channels. In the morning, I woke to severe congestion, burning sinuses and a sore throat. My husband and I again argued about the source of the smell. When we left the room for the morning, sure enough, there was a cat in the window of the adjoining room.

Once we got to our event, I called the front desk. I explained how the previous night had gone and the severity of the odor in the second room. I said at this point I didn't care what floor we were on or what kind of beds, but we were not staying in that room. She said she would find us a new room, have housekeeping inspect it and move our belongings so I didn't have to make the 20 minute drive there and back to move it. I was supposed to have a return call to advise the new room number, which I didn't get. When we got back to the hotel that evening, the front desk gave us new room keys to a non smoking king on the first floor. All of our belongings had been neatly moved, everything in the room was working and there was no odor. There was a huge, nasty looking stain on the toilet, but after confirming it was a rust stain, it was fine. We were also given a partial credit for the prior night.

All that said...There was trash everywhere in the back of the hotel. A lot of trash. Not construction debris, as one might expect, but discarded food, empty cigarette packs, empty condiment packets and fast food containers, towels and key cards. It was rather gross. Having a dog with us, it was nearly impossible to walk her without having her eating something. She snagged a half-eaten chocolate filled donut laying in the grass along the walkway outside room number two. There appears to be a number of residents at this hotel and it is not in the nicest area of Frederick. On Friday after checking in, an officer had stopped two young adults who had been in the hotel parking lot. Later Saturday night we discovered one of them was staying in the room next to ours. And at 11pm on Saturday, there was a significant amount of yelling outside our room with a woman threating to call the police. There is a security guard stationed outside the hotel lobby at night, which is not anywhere in view of the room entrances/balconies. Very late Saturday night as we were walking the dog, we were approached by another young adult (also staying at the hotel) asking for money.

Each of the rooms we were in were remodeled with laminate flooring, no rugs, no décor of any kind, no complementary toiletries or even tissues. It is not a comfy "home away from home" hotel. I don't need five stars, but even the basics in this place are questionable.

I will end by saying that had we been given the third room the first time around, I would probably not have much to say about the place. It was just ok, in not the greatest section of town and I wouldn't have been around the back to see all the trash. Despite the good faith attempt to right the wrong, I can't in good conscience just ignore the first night in this review.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dover, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I had no carpet on the floors , the bed was not made that way the it's showed . very lttle light in room ... Staff was friendly lobby was clean ... but that's where it stopped ... Ice area not well lighted or clean or safe .. Old carpet was under stair wells .. Place is more pet friendly then people friendly ... None smoking room had cig burns on bed spread . I stayed in room 147 and it was bare .. not looking at all like the pictures they show

Room Tip: Remember people are paying not pets
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Once I got to the hotel after 12 midnight and I still got a friendly warm greeting from the Spanish front desk employee, he knew the location very well and suggestions place to check out with my kids!!! On top of that the price was affordable can't beat that

• Stayed December 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Problems every day there. Though at least they had some renovations planned, started waaaayyyy too early in am. Said I had to move rooms, extremely rude and disrepectful. Felt like they forced me out. Locked out of room to get me to front office to inform I had to move. Manager clueless. Bad service. STAY AWAY if you have a brain.

• Stayed May 2013
Ricardo C, Manager at Motel 6 Frederick, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Ms. HSiz:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Motel 6 in Frederick, MD. I am sorry again that your experience did not meet your expectations, as you mentioned we are undergoing renovations and at no point it was our intent to make you feel being pushed out. It was our intent to request that you would move so that you would not get disturbed by noise, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies again.

At Motel 6, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your input is very important to us. I was under the impression before you left after your 4 day stay that you were happy with the resolution we had agreed on but it appears that I was incorrect. Please contact me at 301-662-5141 so can further discuss as it is my goal to keep you as a loyal customer of our Motel 6. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Ricardo Conde

Been to Motel 6 Frederick? Share your experiences!