“Poor Customer Service” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Frederick
Galloway, Ohio, United States
“Poor Customer Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I seriously can not believe this place is still in business. It seems the common denominator in all these reviews is the customer service. HORRIBLE does not even begin to explain my experience with this place. My husband and I live in Columbus Ohio and he works in Fredrick. He has to spend 5 days a week away from his family and Motel 6 has not made the transition any easier. Lets list some issue's........housekeeping forgets pillow cases and towels and when he calls down to ask for them they gave him ONE hand towel. He comes back from work to find house keeping in his room cleaning and she set her TOILET BRUSH CLEANER on top of his TOOTH BRUSH! He asked for batteries for the remote and was told "NO". He notified them that a light bulb was out in his room and they said they wouldnt fix it until he checked out! Every day he comes back from work his key card is deactivated. One week he went the whole week without hot water. He called the manager several times and has NEVER received a call back. By luck he passed the manager and discussed issues with him and was told his room would be credited for all of the days the hot water was out and then the next day the manager changed his mind and only credited him 50%. I then called and spoke with Diane at the front desk. I can not believe this girl has a job. She first spoke to me, told me about my husbands room and his co workers rooms and then when I asked to speak to the manager she started to tell me she could not disclose any information. WHAT? She had already disclosed their information and all I asked her to do was take my name and number to give to her manager. She refused to give me corporates number and then mocked me when I spoke! I then located the information and filed a complaint with corporate. I was promised the manager would contact my husband to discuss and resolve issue's at hand and GUESS WHAT????? The never called and the next week my husband was put on "THE LIST" and can no longer rent rooms! When I called back to corporate I was pretty much told there was nothing they would do about the situation. I was told that even though my husband (and all of his coworkers) were treated poorly that Motel 6 stands behind that location decision to put him on "THE LIST". This blows my mind.....OH yea.....don't check in at night because the desk clerk doesn't even know basic math......on several occasions he has told my husband to speak with his sister in the morning because he couldn't figure out a simple math calculation (had to do with the discount my husband receives). He can run your credit card and take your cash but he doesn't know BASIC MATH! I would never reccommend anyone stay at this location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Frederick, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

I stayed here one week on business. I was trying to save a few dollars. Well, if you have the cash, don't stay here. The rooms are marginally clean. The carpet smelled as if it had not been shampooed in years. I fumigated the room with Lysol before I left for work...that seemed to help.

Ask for the rooms on the pool side because it doesn't overlook the parking lot with the theatre next door where people hang out and drink at night. The only draw back to the pool side is there is no parking so you still have to park on the hang-out side, you just don't get to see it out of your window.

Diane, the front desk clerk, has no customer service skills. She actually has a sultry attitude to most customers, except for old grey-haired men. She comes alive for them and actually smiles when she sees them. It seems as if she has a side hustle with the old men...the oldest profession around. HINT HINT. Other female guests experienced the same.

DO NOT TAKE YOUR SMALL CHILDREN TO THIS PLACE. KIDS LIKE TO SIT ON THE FLOOR TO WATCH TV....NOT HERE! I WOULDN'T EVEN WALK BAREFOOT IN THIS PLACE.

The linen seemed to be changed every day and the room was serviced...but it is just so much you can do with an old out-dated room. There is no alarm clock, very few towels and limited soap. The sink had limited hot water, but the bath had a good flow of hot water. I took a bubble bath every night to calm my nerves in this place.

I have to return to Frederick next week, I am going to spend the money and get a decent place.
Only come here if you are low on cash and you need a place to sleep for a couple of days.

Room Tip: Rooms on pool side are better!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Chesapeake, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Writing this because we actually looked for another place after reading reviews here but either sold out or too expensive last minute. Turned out to be just fine for a place to sleep overnight with our pet. Very quiet room, nice size, furnishings were fine, cleanliness was adequate, cleaner than expected, actually. More importantly, none of the bad experiences we were afraid of after reading other reviews so either they have worked on resolving problems or we were just lucky on a weekend night. I wish Motel 6 would update their towels but were no worse than other Motel 6 towels. Would even consider staying again if we needed a place to sleep passing through on a trip.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Thurmont, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

i stayed here on augest 17th-18th when we arived at 2 00 the rooms were not redy yet went away for a hour came back the rooms where still not ready finaly a hour later we got the room we walkd in there it was soposed to be non smoking my daugher has bad lungs and she started having a hard time breathing come to find out there was mold every where we looked at 3 rooms every room we looked at had mold i asked for a refund to go to a cleaner hotel they refused the lady who checked us in was very rude im sorry but when you go to a hotel you shouldent be treated like that. it should be cleaned right asked if she could send a nother blanket in becouse the one that was on one of the beds has a cig burn al the way through the blanket they finaly got one up to us about 2 houes later but insted of remaking the bed the maid through it in the door said you fix. i had to scrub the mold my self yes i said my self they refused to have the maids do it i dont recamend this hotel to ANY ONE

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Raleigh, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

When we stayed here we were at the end of a two week trip and we were very tired. We just didn't feel like looking for another place. After we checked in and went around to park, there were many men with big coolers on wheels, tatoo's and few teeth. Did not give us a comfortable feeling. Over all the whole place was rather dirty, even the outside parking area. My husband asked a woman where the ice was located and she replied, she didn't know, she only lived there a couple weeks. We think most of the people there were basically homeless. They should give one of them a discount and have them sweep the parking lot. It has as much gravel as our gravel driveway.
We had only one washcloth and when I asked for another one they said they didn't have any more. There was a lot of noise outside up until around 1 am on a week night. Overall, we just were not comfortable there. The place gave us the creeps.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Morristown, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

While staying at this hotel for three day, I had no maid service, had to go find maid to get my towels changed out, was woken up in the middle of the night from people partying up and down the walkway and worst of all, not allowed into the parking lot due to a police raid where drugs were being deal out of three rooms on the third floor. The rooms are cheap there, but I actually left there and found a cheaper hotel 3 miles away with clean rooms, nice beds, maid service and I was actually safe there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

This hotel obviously started its life as a different brand hotel, had meeting rooms, a fake fireplace in the lobby, a pool, gazebo and grass area on the back side of the hotel. The rooms are Huge! Unfortunately the maintenence problems are huge too!

The first room I checked into seemed warm, but I turned on the AC and went to dinner, when I returned - it was still warm. But it was late at night so decided to report it in the morning. I also noticed that there was no rack to hang my clothes by the vanity in the room.

The room did have a microwave and very small fridge, they should have put the fridge on the desk it was so small and hard to get into on the floor. There was also an iron and ironing board & hairdryer! unheard of for a motel 6. NO hair shampoo, only one small bar of soap. NO coffee in room. They advertise 24 hour coffee in lobby but they only had it in the AM, never in the afternoon. Towels are few and very thin. If you have more than 1 person staying in the room you will have to go get extra towels daily from the front desk.

The next AM I report the non working AC to the young lady at the front desk. I returned in the afternoon and checked on the status - well she never bothered to report the problem!!! So Adrian at the front desk rushed to get the maint guy to come look at it - he promptly said that it could not be fixed so moved me to another room.

I wanted to stay on the back side of the hotel as there is a grass area to walk the dogs, you can not park on that side but it was better than looking at the parking lot and movie theater next door. So I was moved to another non smoking room on that side. When I walked in the room the air was cold - I was releaved, then I checked the tub - there were huge strings of caulk, maint was removing all the caulk around the tub and had left it in the tub. I went to the front desk and reported that and was told - well that was the room I was told to put you in. So I had to get my own towels and soap for the room and clean the tub out myself. At least this room had a place to hang my clothes. The next morning however I found that the hairdryer did not work. When I reported that to the front desk I was told that they knew that some don't work and are going to remove all of the hairdryers. The water pressure in both rooms was low and the water temp varies as you take a shower. Oh and all the knobs are on backwards, so if you turn it to cold,you get hot water and visa versa.

The pool looked great but I was told by another guest it was closed. Too bad as it was in the mid 90's!

Some of the other guests were guys who hung out on the balcony on the second and 3rd floors drinking at night. I was with a big group of dog show people so we out numbered them so I felt safe. If I had been there alone I might not have felt as safe. Seems like a fairly safe area, we walked across the street to a place to eat, starbucks is close.

Its a shame as the hotel is pretty nice, BIG rooms, Clean. The maint guy was also doubling as the front desk clerk on some afternoons so no wonder the fixes can't get done.

I got a rate of $53 and no dog fees which I appreciate. I might stay there again but I would check the room first before moving in and make sure everything worked.

Room Tip: Courtyard/pool side, but no parking there
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to Motel 6 Frederick - Fort Detrick? Share your experiences!