“Plentiful choices abound in this tropical oasis (3.5 out of 5)” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Hamburgers, Fast Food
Dining options: Takeout
Dining options: Takeout
Frederick, Maryland
“Plentiful choices abound in this tropical oasis (3.5 out of 5)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I've now been to this place twice. The first time I called my order in ahead, but arrived to a crowded parking lot where I grabbed the last available space. I got out of my vehicle and just stood around like all the other guys were and watched as their names were called out one by one through the side window of the building. After nobody called my name I finally went inside to find out what was going on with my order. It had been ready and already placed in a brown paper bag awaiting my arrival. I was told that if you call your order in before you arrive, you're supposed to drive and pull right up to the side window where you'll pay and get your order in a speedy manner. Oops! I guess that's what I get for not paying attention on the phone. They will also tell you about how long before your order will be ready so you know when to get there.

The second time I did pull right up to the side window, paid for and received my order of Vicki's Pulled Pork BBQ sandwich ($6.99) and French Fries (16 oz. tub) ($2.99). Before coming here I hadn't had a pulled pork BBQ sandwich in a really long time and also was having trouble finding a place that sells them in Frederick. I'm glad I found this place. It was really good. I hadn't had one of these babies that tasted this good since the early 90's.

Take out only as there's no inside dining available. However, there are several picnic tables for you to sit down and eat if you'd like to take in the outdoor tropical, Southern decor. Closed on Mondays -- Open 'til 8 PM all other nights.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

88% Recommend
“Great burgers!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I've had a couple burgers from this place and they are great and have a quite large selection. Also get their fresh squeezed lemonade. This place is great. There is no indoor seating. Place is great though.

• Visited July 2013
“Burgers and more”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Food is good, burgers are great but sometimes the older women who takes orders can be very rude. Also should be open all year round.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Towson
“Best cheeseburger and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I come here from Towson. It is a long drive but well worth it for their great cheeseburger and awesome home-made lemonade! Prices are great and the service is really good. I see the same friendly woman each time I go, she must be the owner, shes very nice.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New Windsor, Maryland
“A Local Secret”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I knew where this place was as I have passed it from time to time. I had assumed from the title that it was like a private label Mickey D. Even after reading other reviews on this very site I was of the impression that it was a regular sit down restaurant. It isn't! This is what I called it in the headline 'A Local Secret'. Its a stand which appears to be attached to a residential building. It has a parking lot and the small green area around the parking lot has picnic tables. In current vernacular you might call it a food truck without the truck.

Hopefully nothing I have said so far is being taken negatively as the food out of this SHACK is a cut above what a lot better appearing places offer. At first the prices might seem a bit high but once you see the generous size of the products and the high quality the price is much more in line. The menu sports ten burgers available in 4 oz and 8 oz sizes validating the business name. They also have 8 versions quarter lb all beef hot dogs.(hot dogs in Paradise?). 18 deli sandwiches, 7 wraps, 17 subs including 3 different italian, wings, soups, sides. I have to stop here and expound a little. They make all of their sides from scratch. Thats correct they don't dole out a scoop of generic cole slaw from a bigger container…they make their own. Onion rings too. Their beer battered rings are the sole reason some people come there. I feel like one of those 'as seen on TV' commercials as I say but wait there's more. This place is the go to place on a hot summer night for all of your ice cream, milk shakes, soda's, sno cone's etc. and theirs are better than the other places.

Okay, with all of the choices what did I get and how was it. I am a huge fan of italian style cold cuts but to buy each of the different meats on one of these sandwiches individually and making it at home is just not cost effective. I learned from the lady at the counter the Spicy Italian was the generic version, The Godfather was made with premium cuts and The Sicilian was no longer available. The Godfather it was and I had to try the onion rings also. While waiting I got a sample taste of their home made crab soup which was a fabulous version of the dish but on this visit I already had too much food to be adding more. I learned all of their soups are home made which is good news for me, a soup lover. I now have a quickie place where I can pick up some hot soup in a hurry. The sub was everything I expected. My onion rings were okay but those are one of those things like fried chicken, baby back ribs, and pizza that I have a very high standard on. These rings were made with a beer pancake batter which I have found from trial and error almost always results in the batter separating from the onion resulting in eating the onion and the batter separately. Also, the oil has to be the exact right temperature or the batter will absorb the oil like a sponge and your rings will be very greasy. In this case mine were over cooked to the point where one or two of them had a burnt taste. They were a little greasy but not overly so. This being the only time I've ever had them I cannot say if this is the way they always come or if it was a bad luck day.

Okay so this isn't the type of place I'd expect to be reviewed on a travel site but why not? I hate when I'm traveling and constantly being pointed to over priced tourist traps. I'd much rather eat where the locals do. I know of another place like this that I am now going to do a review on but it will have to wait until i can get there again as I like for all of my reviews to be based on a current visit and not a fond memory.

• Visited October 2013