“Romantic and Picturesque” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stone Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Frederick
Stone Manor
You added Stone Manor to your Saves list
5820 Carroll Boyer Road, Frederick, MD 21769   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Frederick B&B and Inns
Arlington, Virginia
“Romantic and Picturesque”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I highly recommend Stone Manor for couples. My boyfriend and I visiting from Arlington; its a quick getaway from northern VA and DC. We visited several wineries nearby, and highly recommend Sugarloaf Winery (but that's another review).

Be aware that Stone Manor does host weddings, and I suspect they are a frequent occurrence during the season, due to the beauty of the location. There was a wedding taking place when we checked in, but there was ample parking and the wedding was outside in a tent removed from the house, so it wasn't much of a distraction. We actually thought it was fun to see everyone dressed up and got a little entertainment sitting on the porch when the guests started departing. If you are looking for a silent retreat, you might seek somewhere less popular for the wedding circuit.

Nevertheless, the Stone Manor was very relaxing and a charming experience. The rooms are beautiful, large and still cozy. If for no other reason, just go stay to get inspiration for the next gigantic bathroom/sitting room that you add to your home ;) (ok, wishful thinking, every woman's dream).

The inn keepers, Vern and Astra were lovely, courteous and endearing hosts. They were immediately friendly and accommodating, which lasted throughout our short stay. Some B&Bs are overbearing, not here. They made themselves available for whatever was required, but did not bother you or hover over you at breakfast. It was the perfect balance of hospitality and privacy.

I would highly recommend this to all DC-area couples for a short getaway close to home, and to out of towners who want to see a cozy little part of (what I consider) rural MD.

It looks like the only 1-star review here is due to the fact that the family brought 2 children; the website clearly says no children under 21 are allowed. This is also a perk :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend in mid-March. The weather was gray and gloomy, but we had a fantastic time. The Laurel Suite was pretty and roomy, and the fireplace made it even more cozy. It was wonderful having an extra room, where I could read, while my husband, sleeping beauty, caught up on his zzzzs. There was a small table outside our door with coffee and tea, which was a nice touch. Having a back entrance was a plus, as we didn't have to traipse through the building to get to our room.

Vern and Astra were incredible hosts! They are such nice, friendly people, and a joy to talk to. They gave us great suggestions for restaurants and places to visit. Astra's breakfasts were delicious, and the room where breakfast was served felt so warm and welcoming.

We loved that this inn is tucked away in a beautiful rural area, and yet only a few minutes drive to Frederick. We fell in love with this great walking town, with its wonderful assortment of shops, restaurants, and cultural attractions. I loved the art museum (check out the angel drawing that can be seen in proper perspective only from the museum window) and the Civil War Museum of Medicine. As for restaurants, we loved Ayse, which featured mezza (small plates - kind of like tapas, only Mediterranean, and Olives. The restaurants we loved that were a little outside of town included Monocacy Crossing, Dutchess Daughter, and Braddocks. Crossing (Vern's suggestions!)

We really enjoyed visiting Harpers Ferry, just a short drive away in West Va. In fact, that was the great thing about the location of Stone Manor. It's so close to everything! It's near the border of Virginia, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania. On the way back to Jersey, we stopped at the Inner Harbor and then walked to Little Italy. (I had the best cappuccino I ever had in my life at a pastry shop there - shouldn't be hard to find, as it was the only bakery we saw.)

Now, mind you, we did all this in cold, stinky weather - and had an incredible time. And, we were able do so much in because of the location. We arrived late in the day on Thursday and returned home Sunday afternoon - yet, it felt as though we had a much longer vacation.

Room Tip: Loved the Laurel Suite. It was nice to have a room adjacent to the bedroom (w/jacuzzi) that had a ga...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Charlotte, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed at the Inn for two nights. It was an outstanding experience from start to finish. We were the only guests the first night. Vern and Astria greeted us as though we were old friends coming for a visit. They escorted us to the suite (the Trillium) which was a bit of a surprise. In order to get to the room, we had to step out on a landing that was outside and then step into our room. At first I was concerned. However, once we got in the room, I realized that it was perfect for us. It is a two room suite with a beautiful sitting room. My wife likes to sleep later than me, so this gave me a place to relax with a book in the morning. The room was spotless. The bed was very comfortable.

Breakfast was homemade and delicious. We have had mixed experiences with B&B breakfasts before. This was oustanding.

Since no one else was there, we looked at the other suites. We were blown away by the Gardenia, Laurel and Thistle suites. I would not hesitate to stay in any available suite in the future.

The inn is about 15 minutes away from Frederick. This turned out to be a great asset. The location could not be more beautiful or quiet.

Room Tip: The Trillium is off by itself and therefore very quiet. The Gardenia, Laurel and Thistle suites hav...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Allentown, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My girlfriend and I were looking for a little romance for our anniversary. We wanted and quiet and serene space where we could luxuriate in doing nothing. Stone Manor was exactly what we were looking for. The property was beautiful. Tucked away just a little outside of Frederick, I felt like I was worlds away from any hustle or bustle. I couldn't stop looking out the window at the pristine field of white snow. The inn keeper (Vern) was extra helpful. He made excellent dinner suggestions and was instrumental in getting the fire blazing in the fireplace. The bed was comfy and jacuzzi tub was an added bonus. I wouldn't hesitate to go back again.

Room Tip: The Laurel room was very nice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Montgomery Village, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My wife and I wanted a local place where we could get away for a couple days. The Inn at Stone Manor proved to be a wonderful place with a cozy room, very hospitable hosts in Vern and Astra and a delicious breakfast. I highly recommend staying in the Laurel Suite; wonderful fireplace and hot tub! Also, Dutch's Daughter is a great restaurant about 10-15 minutes away that I also recommend (Get the crab cakes. Delicious!). You won't be disappointed with the Inn at Stone Manor. We plan on returning many times!

Room Tip: The Laurel Suite has the most room, along with a balcony, fireplace and hot tub.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We agree with the other, glowing reviews of the hospitality shown by Vern and Astra. We stayed in the Laurel Suite, the right choice for our needs. The rooms and breakfast are well described by others. Like another of the reviewers, we were coming to eat at the Volt and were not impressed by the reviews of places right in Frederick. We were a bit concerned about the distance, but the Stone Manor is only 20 minutes to downtown Frederick, or to Harpers Ferry or the Potomac River bridge at Point of Rocks. The rustic site is lovely -- we watched a great blue heron come swooping down and land next to the pond right outside our window. Many thanks to great hosts.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Laurel Suite, nicely decorated, queen bed, overlooking the pond.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
dc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I, along with our two young children (3YO and 8months), stayed at Stone Manor for 2 nights during my sister-in-law’s wedding on-site. We were in the wedding (I was the matron of honor, my son was the ring bearer) so my sister-in-law suggested we stay on site so it would be easier to have a babysitter on site and go back and forth to the room if needed. I should mention that all of the occupied rooms during our stay were occupied by other family/close friends of the wedding party, except one, so we were also excited that we'd be staying in the same place as the bride and groom and our closest friends.

First, the positives of Stone Manor. The grounds are gorgeous -- beautiful rolling country side hills about 20 mins outside of downtown Frederick. It was a beautiful site for the wedding. The inn is charming. It's a bit old in some places, but it fits the setting. The breakfast was delicious. The morning I attended breakfast, we were served a yogurt parfait and french toast with a cream cheese and fruit filling, along with coffee and juice.

It would have been a positive and enjoyable experience except for the service we received from the Director, Brian. Unfortunately, the innkeepers were out of town during our stay so we have no way of knowing if our experience would have been different with them.

When we arrived with our kids, my husband went to check in and Lori expressed surprise when she saw the kids and asked if my husband had “checked with Brian” about having the kids stay here. My husband expressed equal surprise since we were not aware that we needed to check with them in advance about our children. We’d looked extensively at the website to decide which room to request and there was nothing on the website mentioning that children weren’t allowed/encouraged, nor was anything asked/mentioned when I called to book and pay for the reservations by phone. We were given disapproving looks by Lori and Brian, but there was not much we could do about it at this point, so we got over it. Regardless, we made sure to keep our kids quiet during our stay, kept them mostly in our room when we were at Stone Manor, and made sure to keep any fragile items in the room out of their reach.

Fast forward to the end of the wedding event when the guests were leaving the Stone Manor grounds to go to the after-party at another larger hotel in Frederick. I went up to the room to check in with the babysitter (who, by the way, was a 30YO elementary school teacher in Montgomery County that was highly recommended by one of my friends who lives in the area). The kids were both asleep and I let her know we’d be back in about an hour and a half. During the time I was in the room, my husband was waiting in the lobby with a few other guests and Brian approached my husband and asked who was watching our kids. My husband said we’d arranged for someone and that she was up in our room with the kids sleeping. He gave my husband a hard time and started talking about liability of Stone Manor and asking if the person was a licensed care giver, etc. Even though my husband was polite and tried to brush it off, Brian was pushy and condescending during the conversation. Several other guests of the wedding that heard the conversation were appalled that Brian would have the gall to ask a guest about how we were taking care of our children. None of us has ever had a hotel/B&B staff member so rudely intrude into our personal life, particularly while we were staying politely and quietly at their facility.

The following morning when we were checking out, I mentioned to Brian that I wanted to give him some feedback on our experience. I was simply hoping to help another guest avoid the bad experience as we had, and maybe even get an apology (I was not asking for money back or anything else). He asked me to sit down in the office upstairs while we talked, which I did. I started by saying that we looked at the website and even personally called to make reservations and had never been told that children were not allowed. He responded that they would make it clear since it’s a liability issue for the B&B and they can’t have children staying without a licensed caregiver and they would make a policy against bringing children. I suggested that if they decide not to allow children, it should be clearly stated on the website and when people call to make reservations. I said that my opinion is that since nothing had been communicated to us, once we showed up at the hotel to stay the night with our kids, they should have just smiled and not mentioned it. I also said that, unfortunately, the way we were treated made the whole experience a negative one for us and we planned to write a review online about it. Truthfully, if he had handled our interaction well at that point and just apologized sincerely, I probably would have been satisfied and never written a review (this is my first travel review ever). But, I think I hit a sore spot when I mentioned the reviews and he said, “If you write a negative review about us, we’ll come after you with both barrels!” I couldn’t believe he just said that, and so I stood up and said I had given my feedback and had nothing else to say. He told me to “sit back down. I listened to you and you can listen to me.” I said, “I’m not going to sit back down after you have just threatened me. I’ve told you about my poor experience and I have nothing else to say so I’m going to leave now.” We traded a few more back and forth’s, but I saw no point in continuing this outrageous conversation so I started to walk out of the room and down the stairs to the lobby. I couldn’t get out of there fast enough and my husband and I spent the rest of the ride to the airport fuming about what a complete jerk he was. We certainly will never stay there again and, based on our experience, will not be recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Stone Manor? Share your experiences!