“A little out of the way, but perfect anyway.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stone Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Frederick
Stone Manor
5820 Carroll Boyer Road, Frederick, MD 21769   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Frederick B&B and Inns
Port Charlotte, Florida
“A little out of the way, but perfect anyway.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed at the Inn for two nights. It was an outstanding experience from start to finish. We were the only guests the first night. Vern and Astria greeted us as though we were old friends coming for a visit. They escorted us to the suite (the Trillium) which was a bit of a surprise. In order to get to the room, we had to step out on a landing that was outside and then step into our room. At first I was concerned. However, once we got in the room, I realized that it was perfect for us. It is a two room suite with a beautiful sitting room. My wife likes to sleep later than me, so this gave me a place to relax with a book in the morning. The room was spotless. The bed was very comfortable.

Breakfast was homemade and delicious. We have had mixed experiences with B&B breakfasts before. This was oustanding.

Since no one else was there, we looked at the other suites. We were blown away by the Gardenia, Laurel and Thistle suites. I would not hesitate to stay in any available suite in the future.

The inn is about 15 minutes away from Frederick. This turned out to be a great asset. The location could not be more beautiful or quiet.

Room Tip: The Trillium is off by itself and therefore very quiet. The Gardenia, Laurel and Thistle suites hav...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Allentown, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My girlfriend and I were looking for a little romance for our anniversary. We wanted and quiet and serene space where we could luxuriate in doing nothing. Stone Manor was exactly what we were looking for. The property was beautiful. Tucked away just a little outside of Frederick, I felt like I was worlds away from any hustle or bustle. I couldn't stop looking out the window at the pristine field of white snow. The inn keeper (Vern) was extra helpful. He made excellent dinner suggestions and was instrumental in getting the fire blazing in the fireplace. The bed was comfy and jacuzzi tub was an added bonus. I wouldn't hesitate to go back again.

Room Tip: The Laurel room was very nice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Montgomery Village, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My wife and I wanted a local place where we could get away for a couple days. The Inn at Stone Manor proved to be a wonderful place with a cozy room, very hospitable hosts in Vern and Astra and a delicious breakfast. I highly recommend staying in the Laurel Suite; wonderful fireplace and hot tub! Also, Dutch's Daughter is a great restaurant about 10-15 minutes away that I also recommend (Get the crab cakes. Delicious!). You won't be disappointed with the Inn at Stone Manor. We plan on returning many times!

Room Tip: The Laurel Suite has the most room, along with a balcony, fireplace and hot tub.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We agree with the other, glowing reviews of the hospitality shown by Vern and Astra. We stayed in the Laurel Suite, the right choice for our needs. The rooms and breakfast are well described by others. Like another of the reviewers, we were coming to eat at the Volt and were not impressed by the reviews of places right in Frederick. We were a bit concerned about the distance, but the Stone Manor is only 20 minutes to downtown Frederick, or to Harpers Ferry or the Potomac River bridge at Point of Rocks. The rustic site is lovely -- we watched a great blue heron come swooping down and land next to the pond right outside our window. Many thanks to great hosts.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Laurel Suite, nicely decorated, queen bed, overlooking the pond.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
dc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I, along with our two young children (3YO and 8months), stayed at Stone Manor for 2 nights during my sister-in-law’s wedding on-site. We were in the wedding (I was the matron of honor, my son was the ring bearer) so my sister-in-law suggested we stay on site so it would be easier to have a babysitter on site and go back and forth to the room if needed. I should mention that all of the occupied rooms during our stay were occupied by other family/close friends of the wedding party, except one, so we were also excited that we'd be staying in the same place as the bride and groom and our closest friends.

First, the positives of Stone Manor. The grounds are gorgeous -- beautiful rolling country side hills about 20 mins outside of downtown Frederick. It was a beautiful site for the wedding. The inn is charming. It's a bit old in some places, but it fits the setting. The breakfast was delicious. The morning I attended breakfast, we were served a yogurt parfait and french toast with a cream cheese and fruit filling, along with coffee and juice.

It would have been a positive and enjoyable experience except for the service we received from the Director, Brian. Unfortunately, the innkeepers were out of town during our stay so we have no way of knowing if our experience would have been different with them.

When we arrived with our kids, my husband went to check in and Lori expressed surprise when she saw the kids and asked if my husband had “checked with Brian” about having the kids stay here. My husband expressed equal surprise since we were not aware that we needed to check with them in advance about our children. We’d looked extensively at the website to decide which room to request and there was nothing on the website mentioning that children weren’t allowed/encouraged, nor was anything asked/mentioned when I called to book and pay for the reservations by phone. We were given disapproving looks by Lori and Brian, but there was not much we could do about it at this point, so we got over it. Regardless, we made sure to keep our kids quiet during our stay, kept them mostly in our room when we were at Stone Manor, and made sure to keep any fragile items in the room out of their reach.

Fast forward to the end of the wedding event when the guests were leaving the Stone Manor grounds to go to the after-party at another larger hotel in Frederick. I went up to the room to check in with the babysitter (who, by the way, was a 30YO elementary school teacher in Montgomery County that was highly recommended by one of my friends who lives in the area). The kids were both asleep and I let her know we’d be back in about an hour and a half. During the time I was in the room, my husband was waiting in the lobby with a few other guests and Brian approached my husband and asked who was watching our kids. My husband said we’d arranged for someone and that she was up in our room with the kids sleeping. He gave my husband a hard time and started talking about liability of Stone Manor and asking if the person was a licensed care giver, etc. Even though my husband was polite and tried to brush it off, Brian was pushy and condescending during the conversation. Several other guests of the wedding that heard the conversation were appalled that Brian would have the gall to ask a guest about how we were taking care of our children. None of us has ever had a hotel/B&B staff member so rudely intrude into our personal life, particularly while we were staying politely and quietly at their facility.

The following morning when we were checking out, I mentioned to Brian that I wanted to give him some feedback on our experience. I was simply hoping to help another guest avoid the bad experience as we had, and maybe even get an apology (I was not asking for money back or anything else). He asked me to sit down in the office upstairs while we talked, which I did. I started by saying that we looked at the website and even personally called to make reservations and had never been told that children were not allowed. He responded that they would make it clear since it’s a liability issue for the B&B and they can’t have children staying without a licensed caregiver and they would make a policy against bringing children. I suggested that if they decide not to allow children, it should be clearly stated on the website and when people call to make reservations. I said that my opinion is that since nothing had been communicated to us, once we showed up at the hotel to stay the night with our kids, they should have just smiled and not mentioned it. I also said that, unfortunately, the way we were treated made the whole experience a negative one for us and we planned to write a review online about it. Truthfully, if he had handled our interaction well at that point and just apologized sincerely, I probably would have been satisfied and never written a review (this is my first travel review ever). But, I think I hit a sore spot when I mentioned the reviews and he said, “If you write a negative review about us, we’ll come after you with both barrels!” I couldn’t believe he just said that, and so I stood up and said I had given my feedback and had nothing else to say. He told me to “sit back down. I listened to you and you can listen to me.” I said, “I’m not going to sit back down after you have just threatened me. I’ve told you about my poor experience and I have nothing else to say so I’m going to leave now.” We traded a few more back and forth’s, but I saw no point in continuing this outrageous conversation so I started to walk out of the room and down the stairs to the lobby. I couldn’t get out of there fast enough and my husband and I spent the rest of the ride to the airport fuming about what a complete jerk he was. We certainly will never stay there again and, based on our experience, will not be recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Oak Hill, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had a delightful time at Stone Manor. Vern and Astra were gracious hosts. We wish we could have spent more time. It is one of the nicer bed and breakfasts I have stayed out. We stayed in the Laurel Suite. If you plan to visit Frederick or just want a cozy getaway, this BnB is highly recommended.
They told us that part of the manor dates back to around 1760!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We live in the Washington DC area and we were looking for somewhere close to go away for one night to celebrate our 30th anniversary; Stone Manor turned out to be the perfect choice. The surrounding country side is beautiful, the inn is lovely and the inn keepers are very accommodating. It is close to Frederick where there are numerous really good food choices. We stayed in a large 2 room suite. Although we don't normally consider ourselves "inn" people we really enjoyed Stone Manor. I agree with the positive things others have said; charming, good breakfast, romantic setting (no TV's in the room) . There is only one concern I have. Stone Manor specializes in weddings and has a large semi permanent tent set up to host receptions. The inn keepers said that they have numerous weddings which makes sense as the venue would be a very attractive place to have a wedding. We stayed over on a Monday night and were only one of two guests which definitely added to the ambiance for us. I'm not sure my review would have been as positive if we had stayed on a night on which there was a wedding taking place.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Stone Manor? Share your experiences!