“Hollerstown Horrors” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hollerstown Hill

Hollerstown Hill
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Frederick
Hollerstown Hill
Save Saved
You added Hollerstown Hill to your Saves list
4 Clarke Place, Frederick, MD 21701   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Frederick B&B and Inns
Annandale, Virginia
“Hollerstown Horrors”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Reading such glowing reviews, we booked their most expensive room ($175 total) for our wedding anniversary. Sorry to say we spent a nearly sleepless night in the worst bed (a king size shallow board mattress with an undersized hard platform beneath it), in a hot room with an unbelievably loud, ugly "portable heat pump" putting out very little cool air. The small, older TV provided had a volume control that was no match for the heat pump noise. The bathroom was large, large enough for a very large display of dolls. In fact dolls had to be removed before you could set your things down on the vanity or on the chest at the bottom of the bed. The vanity had an old upholstered seat with very worn, dirty upholstery, ugh! We were so miserable we left without breakfast. No parking was provided leaving us to park on the street several blocks away. The most expensive hotel room in town we found online was $179. Even the cheapest hotel we have ever stayed in had a better mattress, climate control, TV and probably kleenex and a hair dryer too. Comfort essentials must come before decorations! Will attempt to post pictures of the real room, not the idealized web page.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Dexter, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hollerstown Hill is the first B&B at which I have ever had the pleasure of staying. I am hooked! The home is in a quiet neighborhood directly across from a school for the deaf. Betty and Phil were incredibly welcoming and their home is decorated beautifully. My room was spacious, adorned nicely with antiques, pillows, nic nacs and such. I walked a few minutes down to the Italian restaurant they recommended for a late supper which was scrumptious. My sleep was restful and I awoke refreshed. I went for a run around the area and ended up on a multipurpose path that was perfect. For breakfast, Betty made chocolate waffles, bacon and a fresh fruit smoothie made to order. It was all delicious! I enjoyed chatting with the other patrons and they shared some helpful travel tips. I will definitely return to this B& B the next time I am on my way to viist my daughter in N. C. and I highly recommend it!!!

Room Tip: I heard there is a room at the back with a balcony, but my room was also great!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Charming b & b run by a delightful couple. The owners provide a most comfortable experience. The location is perfect for exploring downtown Frederick on foot. Breakfasts were delicious and plentiful. We spent four nights there and would love to make a return visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this B&B located in downtown Frederick so we could go to Volt (which was excellent; see my review). The B&B has an excellent location (a 15 minute walk to Volt; 10 minute walk to the restaurants on the river walk). We had a very nice room with a private balcony/porch on the second floor. All of the rooms have a private bath and air conditioning. The bed was very comfortable. The B&B was very clean and is run by a lovely couple. My wife and I enjoyed our conversation with the owners over breakfast. Breakfast consisted of a delicious egg casserole, fruit smoothie and home made pastry. Our stay was very enjoyable and I would recommend this B&B if you plan to stay in downtown Frederick (which has become a very hip town).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The hospitality could not have been nicer. We stayed in the Cannon Room and found it to be a relaxing and comfortable room while giving one a taste of the past. The hosts are most helpful and did whatever necessary to make us feel welcome and at home. Short walk to the center of the town. Breakfasts were generous and tasty. Wine, snacks, water and coffee always at the ready. I plan to return often and highly recommend Hollerstown Hill.

Room Tip: I think next time I would pay the extra $10 for the Garden Room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbia, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We could not have been more pleased. The hosts are charming, welcoming, and informative. The breakfast was outstanding and very filling. Everything is generous - coffee and bottled water are always available and the toiletries are high quality. Certainly the decor is over the top (collectibles everywhere). My wife and I are minimalists, so this wasn't our style, but it was well done making it a nice place to visit even if we wouldn't want to live there! The location is close to ideal, quiet, but within walking distance of downtown Frederick. For those dining at Volt, it is a longish (15-20 minutes) but doable walk. Certainly we would not have the slightest hesitation in returning.

Room Tip: If you are dining at Volt, you can always walk there and get a cab back, if you don't feel like...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

The Hollerstown Hill B&B was as adverstised: quaint and convenient. I'd never stayed in a proper B&B before: it isn't an Inn or a hotel, so make sure your expectations are properly focused. Our bedroom (big on in the back) had a great bed, nice bathroom and a lovely deck.
The couple the owns/runs the place couldn't be nicer.

Room Tip: Get the big room in the back. The deck is nice and the bed was comfy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hollerstown Hill? Share your experiences!