“First night - great; second night - disappointment” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and Save!
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Frederick
Maryland
“First night - great; second night - disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

I've just returned home after two nights at this hotel. Our first night went very well, in spite of loud water pipe noises that awakened all three of us (myself, my husband and our daughter) early in the morning. The breakfast was great yesterday (Saturday). Last night and this morning were terribly disappointing. The water pipe noises woke my daughter up several times (she recited the actual times to me) and I woke up a couple of times as well. When we went to breakfast at 9:30 (breakfast is from 6:00 - 10:00 a.m.) we were surprised to see that the hot food was almost completely gone, except for a few potato cubes and some scrambled eggs. A closer examination revealed that the fresh fruit, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt and even hot water for tea were all gone by 9:40 a.m. The breakfast area experienced floods of hotel guests, who were of course disappointed to see this lack of food. (Yes, there was still waffles, white bread, banana nut muffins, cold cereal and juice - I did not look at the oatmeal supply - and a bagel or two - but someone with a gluten intolerance would have been totally out of luck.) The breakfast room lady ambled in at 9:45 and announced that the food was "all gone" - I was left wondering what would happen to tomorrow's guests!

The hotel was very full, but that is no excuse. We guests all paid for our breakfasts in our room rate, yet many guests did not get to enjoy the breakfast they had been promised. Management should have planned for many hungry guests on a Sunday morning. Running out of hot water for tea was clearly annoying to at least one guest - even if there really was no food left in the hotel, there was surely running water, as we'd all noticed running water in our bathrooms this morning.

We stay at Hampton Inns on a regular basis because we know we will have clean, comfortable rooms, free wifi and a nice breakfast. Not today. Late-rising guests should have the same breakfast experience as the early birds; it's not as though Frederick is a remote location with limited access to restaurant supplies. We've stayed at Hampton Inns in Frederick twice now and I have to say that I will be looking at other hotel chains for next year's stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor near the elevator have loud water pipes nearby.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I stayed with my husband for four nights while visiting relatives that live nearby. The hotel is fairly new, well kept and clean. The room had a mini refrigerator and microwave, and was very roomy. They offer a full buffet breakfast with a great variety of hot and cold foods. The young woman that tends to the breakfast bar is very friendly and ensures everything is well stocked. This is the second time we stay here and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We stayed here for one night so that we wouldn't need to drive back to DC after dinner at Volt. The last time we stayed at one of the b&bs in town and it just wasn't worth it. This was a good experience. Friendly staff, nice room, impressive breakfast (individual omelets, fresh fruit, etc.). We paid $87 for the night and it was worth the money.

Tip for those looking for a hotel near Volt, this was about 2 miles away. Roundtrip cabfare was $20 with tip.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites for 2 weeks as I was working at Fort Detrick.

Pros

1. Free fruit, tea, coffee, hot chocolate etc all day everyday
2. The breakfast buffet was more than adequate and the breakfast bags were really handy
3. The pool and gym were an added bonus and it felt like I was the only one using them
4. The bed was AMAZING really comfortable
5. Friendly helpful staff, I don't drive and wanted to walk everywhere and they gave great directions
6. If you get there in time the free cookies are AMAZING

Cons

1. If you don't drive and don't like walking you're in trouble as the town is a long walk away (but not impossible I did it regularly)
2. There isn't anything to do near the hotel so you are restricted to staying there if you don't drive and don't want to pay for a cab. However a cab is ~$7 to town.
3. I'm not sure my room was hoovered in the 2 weeks I was there

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

This hotel is a good value but overall just of average quality. We were staying under a group rate so we received a very good price.

Pro's - Polite staff at front desk. Check in was quick. Nice common area and breakfast dining room. The free breakfast was a big plus. The guest room itself was clean and included a nice size fridge and microwave. For business travelers, there was a nice size desk/work area. The hotel has wifi. We were here for a hockey tournament and this hotel is very close to the Skate Frederick ice rink. My son enjoyed using the indoor pool.

Con's - Plumbing was very loud and noticeable sounds of running water could be heard from adjoining rooms. Our room had lukewarm water at best when using the shower. The tub also drained very slowly so you end up standing in a couple of inches of dirty and soapy water. The mattress was very soft and the pillows were small and not comfortable. The tv was not set up to receive hd signals. Door key's did not work on 2 separate occassions leading to return trips to the front desk.

This was a 1 night stay so the con's were of a minor inconvenience. For what we paid including free breakfast for 3 people, the hotel did offer a good value. If i returned to Frederick, I would consider this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I loved this hotel, especially the exceptionally nice staff. Rooms very clean, wonderful pool and fitness room. Breakfast is more than just continental. They let me ck in early when I was "rained out" of my touristy acitivities the first day. I had a little trouble turning on the shower and the night shift attendant said "bless your heart! we don't mind sending someone up there to help you!" I was touched (and I figured it out). I think they go out of their way to be extra nice, but it doesn't seem like a put on, it seems genuine. I just LOVED this hotel.

As another reviewer said, the location is a BIT (but only a bit) hard to figure out at first but after I did, I found it very convenient to many things. Actually there are several good restaurants within walking distance, easily found via a smartphone search.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
richmond, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

Checked in and the place was beautiful and clean. Indoor pool was really nice. I would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Frederick-Fort Detrick? Share your experiences!