“Five star meal/service but not for romance” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Tasting Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 320 Restaurants in Frederick
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Church Street
“Five star meal/service but not for romance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

So, you want great food, check, great service, check, great drinks, check, quiet romantic atmosphere, no check, TR has it all but expect a loud party atmosphere.

We will return for the food and drink and service. Maybe on a week night it will not be as crowded and noisy.

I had the duck and my wife the cod. Both were served perfectly. We were not rushed considering the crowd and we were able to enjoy the food. Don't miss the mussels appetizer.

Overall we had a great meal, comparable to the other high end restaurants I frederick.

Washington, DC
“Has gone downhill in the last year”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

I've discovered Tasting Room last year and have been frequenting the restaurant for lunch every couple of weeks since. I normally do not mind the pricey food, provided it is well prepared, well seasoned and every so often a real gem is offered for "specials".

Lately, I have noticed a steep decline in the quality of food preparation.

One time the stakes came out at the wrong temperature, very dry on the outside and with "stringy" texture. Some more basic preparation mishaps later, I have also noticed that there were no more interesting specials offered for lunch any longer. That was disappointing. There were also some shuffling of the menu, but the new dishes are rather pretentious and don't make up for the poor preparation of the old items.

I kept telling myself that it's just been an "off day" after an "off day" until my last visit. The trusted swordfish dish came out so dry, I could eat no more then a bite of it. What's worse, no one even asked why i'm leaving my fish untouched. The plates were simply removed from the table with no inquiries whatsoever.

Given that you will pay on average $90 for the lunch for two, this kind of quality control and lack of attention to the patrons is not acceptable.

Having given Tasting Room the benefit of the doubt and ample time to recover from poor experiences, I'm now convinced that , sadly, this restaurant is "over".

P.S. I've heard there were some "changes in the kitchen", and maybe this is what's causing a rapid decline. What a shame.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Frederick, MD
“Pork and Steak”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

LOVE this restaurant. Great place for a special occassion. Delicious pork chops, filet mignon, and cocktails. Dessert is just okay. Service is amazing

Visited September 2013
Frederick, Maryland
“Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

The food is delicious. The calamari & mussels are the best I've ever had. The service was very good. Definitely would will go back.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Frederick, MD
“Good food, noisy restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I went to the Tasting Room for mummy anniversary. The restaurant is located in a central location downtown Frederick and it is close to everything else. The restaurant is on a corner and has the comer walls made of glass so you can see everything outside and everybody passing by can see you too. The food was good even thought a little overpriced. However, being only a small room full of tables it was so noisy I could not carry a conversation at all with my husband. I did not find the atmosphere romantic. If you like a place very everybody talks at once and load the place is just right for you. As for me, the food was not good enough to make me want to go back.

• Visited June 2013