“Don't waste your time” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #178 of 330 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: La Paz Mexican Restaurant is located in Historic Downtown Frederick, MD at 51 South Market Street, along the Carroll Creek Promenade. Our family friendly Mexican restaurant features creekside and pet-friendly dining on a spacious patio, handicap accessibility and a colorful & festive atmosphere. Our delicious food and legendary margaritas have made us a Frederick favorite for over 30 years. We hope to see you soon at La Paz!
“Don't waste your time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

I ordered a margarita it tasted horrible, watered down. I was with a group of ten, they made us wait 25 minutes for a table then when they finally sat us upstairs the entire room was empty. The service was mediocre and the food is the same.

Visited July 2013

Frederick, Maryland
“Slow service, Inconsistent food, and TERRIBLE margaritas!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I used to like La Paz, but my last visit was so bad that I don't think I'll ever go back. The décor is dated, the floor is dirty, and it was hot inside. The fan they had in the dining room helped a little, but it added to the run-down feel of the place.

We were seated for a good 10 minutes before our waitress came to take our order (long enough to review the menu, decide what we wanted, and use the bathroom). When we finally got to order, we got the guacamole. The menu specifies that the guacamole includes tomatoes and onions, but when we got it, it was just a bowl of mashed up avocado. When we asked our waitress about it, she said "it depends on who made it". Apparently, the guy who made ours didn't like to put fresh tomatoes and onions in it.

The free salsa was the only thing I liked about the meal, but the chips that came with it were stale, so I couldn't even enjoy that.

We also ordered margaritas, which were way too strong, VERY salty, and came in a lowball glass, instead of a margarita glass. I think it was actually the worst margarita I've ever had.

When the food finally came out, we got our meals at different times. I was told that mine was made with the wrong kind of beans, so I had to wait for the kitchen to re-make my order. When it finally came out, it was very greasy, kind of bland, and I felt terrible after eating some of it.

Overall, my dinner at La Paz was a disaster!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Annapolis, Maryland
“Steer Clear of this Dirty Sloppy Un-Managed Restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Traveling from the midwest to MD we stopped off in Frederick for lunch at 1:00 PM Sunday. It was a nice day so we spotted a mexican restaurant with outdoor seating. Walking in I noticed the margaritas are already premixed in large glass containers by the bar. I should have left and avoided the rest of the bland cuisine we were in store for. For years fresh-Mex has been a staple in most chain tex-mex restaurants. Unfortunately this restaurant is slow to join the crowd. Our party of three ordered fish tacos, an enchilada, and sample plate of burittos and tacos. We were given a large basket of tortilla chips with hashy-looking salsa. Not impressive and weird looking. While waiting for our main course I used the dirty restroom. There was debris on the floor and no paper towels in the dispenser. Mind you it is early in the day and it was apparent that the bathroom was never cleaned from the night before. When our food finally arrived I was astonished at the presentation of all plates. My enchilada was brown dried bean paste covering a plate and looked like a baby bowl movement, topped with a greasy round tortilla and pink watery sauce. My sons burrito/taco dish was all co-mingled on his plate and looked as if micro-waved until you could not tell one item from the next. My husbands fish tacos looked like a Mrs. Paul's Fish piece with store bought watery cole slaw. I asked for a manager and about 10 minutes later our waitress with 2 young co-workers showed up. Two were in their young 20's and the other may be 30ish. None of them were managers and we were told that Lindsey the manager will be in at 3PM. I asked for all of our food to be taken off the bill, and got a smart-aleck answer from one of the 20 year olds that we had eaten, so therefore will not get refunded. The only item eaten was one fish taco out of the whole order. They did take my baby bowl movement off the bill-however. This restaurant is rudder-less and needs someone in charge who can make sure food that has died and expired under heat-lamps in the kitchen does not go out.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Frederick, Maryland
“Great Margaritas & Patio, Food So-So”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Good location, patio is fun and on the creek so beautiful setting. Margaritas are strong but the food leaves much to be desired.

Visited April 2013
Myersville, MD
“Cured the craving!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Both my husband and myself had a craving for Mexican food. We knew of a restaurant in downtown Frederick but had never been before. The restaurant has on-street parking but there is an inexpensive parking deck within easy walking distance. They are located right next to the developed Carroll Creek. The service was fast, the food was very good, and the prices were reasonable. We both ordered different combinations and found the portion sizes to be generous. We totally enjoyed our meal and plan on going back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere