My wife and I went to Frederick today to check out some new shops in the Old Town. We looked up the reviews of restaurants and chose Dutch's Daughter. The place is way over rated by reviewers in my judgment. First the good points: The waitress did a nice job and was responsive, though the last round of coffee was like the first one, lukewarm The restaurant is large, appears clean enough and has several venues to choose from, though when we checked out the dungeon we saw nothing special, just a sports bar period. The bathroom is large but could have been cleaner. Parking is not a problem with plenty of spaces available. Today, there were not many customers in the restaurant while we were there.
The points that lead to a two start rating;
(1) The ambience is very dark and kind of depressing. The windows are shuttered and lets almost no natural light in. Why? You see this sometimes in bars but the bar here is in the basement dungeon and so there seems no logic to having the décor (which is kind of drab) darkened even further by the lack of ambient light.
(2) Very importantly, the food is not that great. At the outset, we were served a complimentary bread course that was completely forgettable.
(3) My wife's club sandwich was served on double thick slices of bread and the turkey was tough and not tasty. I verified her review of the sandwich; it was awful. She finished less than a fourth of the sandwich.
(4) The coffee we ordered at the outset was old and lukewarm. When we mentioned this we received a new cup of hot coffee. But when this was topped off later in the meal it was again served lukewarm.
(5) My hamburger was okay and prepared to my specifications of well done. But it was not better than you would expect to get at a fast food restaurant. The accompanying fried chip potatoes were very salty but somewhat tasteful.
(6) We originally considered having a dessert but since the food was not that hot we skipped this and had something later in town.
How this restaurant gets rated as the third best in Frederick amazes us. Maybe it is the bar scene in the dungeon because it is certainly not justified by the food!
We will not go to this restaurant next time we are in Frederick.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.