“Top drawer food, service and atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Waynesboro, Pennsylvania, United States
“Top drawer food, service and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Excellent, though expensive, meal. $60 a piece w/o alcohol. Portions are huge. Service by Richard very attentive w/o being intrusive. High quality beef and superb crab cakes.

• Visited November 2013

81% Recommend
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Throwback to the 80's...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

The concept, the decor, the menu, the ambiance--all out of another decade. That being said, the food (lunch) was acceptable, and the service was stellar (perhaps because we were the only people in one of the main floor dining rooms). But it was pleasant, and we were seated by a window so the overall gloomy appearance wasn't really in play. I wouldn't make a special trip to eat there (as I would for Volt), but it was a fine way to spend lunchtime.

Frederick, Maryland
“Great Food - Worth the Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I have been to Dutch's Daughter a handful of times and have never been disappointed. Their food is a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. I've had their crab cakes and they are top notch. Being from Baltimore, I'm a bit picky about seafood, and this rates high on my list! Their shrimp is awesome also. All food is always fresh! The ambiance is a blend of a bit swanky, to homey. Fireplaces help set the mood. Service is always good. Not great, but good. But the food is second to none!

• Visited October 2013
Alexandria, VA
“Very disappointing lunch,service good food only mediocre or less”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My wife and I went to Frederick today to check out some new shops in the Old Town. We looked up the reviews of restaurants and chose Dutch's Daughter. The place is way over rated by reviewers in my judgment. First the good points: The waitress did a nice job and was responsive, though the last round of coffee was like the first one, lukewarm The restaurant is large, appears clean enough and has several venues to choose from, though when we checked out the dungeon we saw nothing special, just a sports bar period. The bathroom is large but could have been cleaner. Parking is not a problem with plenty of spaces available. Today, there were not many customers in the restaurant while we were there.

The points that lead to a two start rating;
(1) The ambience is very dark and kind of depressing. The windows are shuttered and lets almost no natural light in. Why? You see this sometimes in bars but the bar here is in the basement dungeon and so there seems no logic to having the décor (which is kind of drab) darkened even further by the lack of ambient light.
(2) Very importantly, the food is not that great. At the outset, we were served a complimentary bread course that was completely forgettable.
(3) My wife's club sandwich was served on double thick slices of bread and the turkey was tough and not tasty. I verified her review of the sandwich; it was awful. She finished less than a fourth of the sandwich.
(4) The coffee we ordered at the outset was old and lukewarm. When we mentioned this we received a new cup of hot coffee. But when this was topped off later in the meal it was again served lukewarm.
(5) My hamburger was okay and prepared to my specifications of well done. But it was not better than you would expect to get at a fast food restaurant. The accompanying fried chip potatoes were very salty but somewhat tasteful.
(6) We originally considered having a dessert but since the food was not that hot we skipped this and had something later in town.

How this restaurant gets rated as the third best in Frederick amazes us. Maybe it is the bar scene in the dungeon because it is certainly not justified by the food!
We will not go to this restaurant next time we are in Frederick.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Altoona, Pennsylvania, United States
“Best Restuarant Experiance in Years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

What a great find we saw this spot on tripadvisor and gave it a shot. Food was perfect my friend had the Filet Oscar it was cooked to his liking but it was the nicest piece of beef with good size portion of Crab Imperial the plate looked great.I had the fried Seafood Platter it was super sized and cooked to perfection not a bit of oil on the plate. Kudos to the fry cook we also had the Calimari App and it was very well prepared. I would recommend Dutche's to any one who wanted to experiance the best.

• Visited October 2013